LEJOG on ebike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
IGrahamL

Re: LEJOG on ebike

Post by IGrahamL »

An interesting thread/topic.
Joined and started posting 2009, that was the year I cycled camped JOGLE, I last posted on this forum in 2011 (seems longer). 2010 was the year m.e/cfs put a stop to cycling, mountain walking and everything else except short walks and a spot of gardening, also eventually stopped me from frequenting this forum, seemed pointless.
Really glad I did JOGLE that year, had been a long term ambition and got it done just in time.

However I digress before I've even started.
So I'm just about to buy myself an ebike which got me to reading this cycling forum again and as I've done JOGLE once this particular thread is of interest. I wont be doing JOGLE again unless a miracle happens, but do think about doing it occasionally.
At the moment my aim is to rather like Bilbo get out there and back again, how far is yet to be seen but with luck I'm out on a bike again, you have no idea how much I've missed it.
Ps if you see a bloke sprawled across a bench and clinging on to his ebike dont worry its only me having a rest.
Graham

There is only one ‘end’ and I’m in no great hurry to reach it
Jimelec

Re: LEJOG on ebike

Post by Jimelec »

Hi
I completed the lejog by myself on a gtech ebike in August 2017, it took me 19 days averaging about 50 miles a day
The hardest but was Cornwall, Devon and the highlands
Battery management was the key , I carried a spare battery and only once was caught out with a big push below Wick
I camped for 7 nights to begin with but found this more tiring than the ride, so B.B. after that but very expensive in August
No mechanical problems other than replacing brake pads front and back
I am 73 and overweight and the most I had cycled before the trip was 32 miles in one go, the bum cream was a huge benefit
I followed the google maps cycle route the whole way, it had a few problems but was great for off main road routing
I would recommend ticking this box, the feeling of achievement is terrific
I have replaced my gtech because it although lighter than my new bike it has no gears
Go for it