LEJOG on ebike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vetus Ossa

Re: LEJOG on ebike

Post by Vetus Ossa »

francovendee wrote:Slightly off topic but I'm interested in how one of these electric assist bikes ride when the battery has lost all it's charge. I know that they are heavier than a normal bike but is there additional drag from the motor.
I know at some point I'll end up needing one of these if I want to keep cycling and the idea of having a flat battery, some way off from home, is a concern.

You should probably read up ^^^^.
How far would you like to ride in a day?
A distance of 60/70 miles is quite feasible, maybe more. Enough for me, but possibly not you.
I wouldn’t want to finish a ride with a flat battery as after 70 odd miles I would be tired, and although possible to pedal with no assist it would be hard work.
Beauty will save the world.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The two (or three) elephants in the room are weight of load carried, altitude climbed and distance cycled over say 50 - 60 miles in a day.

AIUI the range of an electric bike is affected by all three. LEJOG (or similar tours) involves all three. And at the end of the day you have a flat battery and a hill to climb, a heavy bike and some miles yet to do. Is it feasible? If so, then I think we are looking at the end of non-electric bikes. If not, then claims that it is possible need to be looked at carefully.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

horizon wrote:The two (or three) elephants in the room are weight of load carried, altitude climbed and distance cycled over say 50 - 60 miles in a day.

AIUI the range of an electric bike is affected by all three. LEJOG (or similar tours) involves all three. And at the end of the day you have a flat battery and a hill to climb, a heavy bike and some miles yet to do. Is it feasible? If so, then I think we are looking at the end of non-electric bikes. If not, then claims that it is possible need to be looked at carefully.

NO. My garage is at the bottom of a steep drive and it’s hard enough to push the thing up it unladen, and I have been known to use walk assist.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Mick F wrote:
Vetus Ossa wrote:Old bones waves back and wonders if he was the only one stupid enough to ride through the tree trimmings near Yelverton and collect one of these?
Strange eh?
We were only just taking of tools and tyre inflations. :shock:

Yes, there was tons of the stuff near Yelverton, but I just rode through it all. The farmer(?) was still cutting when I passed it all.

If you drive a lorry off of a building site and deposit mud on the road if caught you will receive a fine so how are farmers allowed to cut hedges and not be obliged by law to sweep up the cuttings !
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

horizon wrote:The two (or three) elephants in the room are weight of load carried, altitude climbed and distance cycled over say 50 - 60 miles in a day.

IMO, it depends on the bike and what makes it an electric bike. Although adding a motor obviously adds weight, no matter how you do it, many of the newer electric assist bikes can be ridden comfortably without the electric assist. It's not much worse than riding a town/utility bike with luggage racks, mudguards, dyno, etc. They won't get the rider up a steep hill solely on electric power, however.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vorpal wrote: It's not much worse than riding a town/utility bike with luggage racks, mudguards, dyno, etc. They won't get the rider up a steep hill solely on electric power, however.

An electric bike is let's say no heavier than a heavy town bike but for a tour you have luggage. And possibly a hill.

What I am trying to tease out here is claims that since an ebike can do let's say 70 miles a day, you can tour on it. But we need to hear from the users who can tell us that that mileage is still possible despite:

Touring in hilly country (would you bother with an ebike in East Anglia?)
Taking luggage (we all take luggage on tour)
Using the bike over 70 mpd (or why bother with an ebike?)
Going up hill with luggage
Taking into account the age and usage of the battery

And this would all be with guaranteed charging overnight. The problem is what happens if, having taken all these factors into account you are left with ten miles to go, a couple of long steep hills and the liability of a bike which may be too heavy to push up such a hill for those who have chosen to use an ebike. It might be no different from running out of petrol with a motorbike.

I'm just a bit concerned that ebike users aren't rushing out to put me right on this (I'm vey happy to be put right!).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think the problem is, that E bikes aren't aimed at the cycle-tourist. Rather they are aimed at people who want to ride a bike.

In order to tour with one, perhaps you need a two-battery version. ie more capacity and power.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Mick F wrote:I think the problem is, that E bikes aren't aimed at the cycle-tourist. Rather they are aimed at people who want to ride a bike.

In order to tour with one, perhaps you need a two-battery version. ie more capacity and power.

Totally agree.
I think touring on one would be possible, if you keep your battery in use all of the time, running out of power with any distance to go would be a disaster.
I am not an experienced ebiker having only owned one for about a month but am feeling at home on mine now and know how to use it properly.
My bike is a Cube Reaction Hybrid HPA SL 500 which I guess is a fairly sporty bike. It’s fitted with Schwalbe Big Ben tyres and rolls very nicely on most surfaces as they are intended to. I never ride with bags or any extra weight attached apart from a small tool kit and pump.
I can say categorically (horizon) that I would not want to pedal it on the flat for ten miles with no power, never mind up two longish hills. I think most people that have actually ridden on would say the same.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mick F wrote:I think the problem is, that E bikes aren't aimed at the cycle-tourist. Rather they are aimed at people who want to ride a bike.

Yes, I had thought about that too but that would increase the weight ...
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vetus Ossa wrote:I can say categorically (horizon) that I would not want to pedal it on the flat for ten miles with no power, never mind up two longish hills. I think most people that have actually ridden on would say the same.

Thank you. In the absence of other voices, I am going to suggest to the OP (a couple) that they should do some very careful calculations before embarking on an ebike LEJOG.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

BTW, my bike weighs about 22kg and although I have not weighed the battery I recon it must come in at about 5kg.
A 27kg bike and luggage...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vetus Ossa wrote:I can say categorically (horizon) that I would not want to pedal it on the flat for ten miles with no power, never mind up two longish hills. I think most people that have actually ridden on would say the same.

Speaking as someone who's ridden one 120 miles in last couple of days with full camping load in front and rear panniers and using electric assist only on the longest and/or steepest hills, maybe 10 miles in total, I'd say it's easily possible to ride one quite long distances without using any power.
Last edited by pete75 on 28 Jun 2017, 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm not going to trawl through the posts and threads, but some time ago I was in Truro and looked in at Clive Mitchell Cycles in the city. He had a few E bikes on the forecourt and I had a good scrince* at them.

My post was about how HUGE these bikes are.
What's wrong with a normal lightweight bike with a motor?
Why have a leviathan of a bike?

*Naval slang for having a good look.
Mick F. Cornwall
horizon

Post by horizon »

pete75 wrote:

Speaking as someone who's ridden one 120 miles in last couple of days with full camping load in front and rear panniers and using electric assist only on the longest and/or steepest hills, maybe 10 miles in total, I'd say it's easily possible to ride one quite long distances without using any power.

Thanks for that. I'm now wondering what is meant by "range". Obviously an ebike ridden in East Anglia without assist will have an infinite range or at least until the batteries run down by themselves. But if the assist was used for such a short time was it worth it?
groberts

Post by groberts »

I would be very interested to know specifically what Ebikes people are riding for long, loaded touring?

I had a TKR a couple of years ago and after six months or so was back on the bike slowly getting back to limited cycling. Unfortunately my other knee is now showing signs of going + the TKR knee is not exactly giving out but not what it used to be. As result I've not been doing many miles lately and am therefore interested in the possibility of getting out more and possibly touring with an Ebike.

I have looked at and tried out a few but, to be frank, have been unimpressed at the build quality and it's very clear that potential mileage is a problem - terrain and load being an added issue for touring of course - and I have found that they (those that want to sell you an expensive Ebike) try to gloss over the subject. My alternative is to convert an MTB bike I have, probably the front wheel, but not sure if this will work for touring. The Ebike Bosch system is very good but I like the idea of a standard retrofitted bike if it can work and the ability to get home under your own power if needed?

Finally, I'm not entirely sure what the view is of E-biking appearing on this Forum but there's no doubt it's becoming a very popular 'cycling' mode of transport in the UK and especially in Europe + for those of us finding the mileage more challenging with age or due to health issues, it seems to be a legitimate alternative. If this is a view held within this community and Cycling UK (nearly said CTC!) can I suggest there should be a dedicated section in the Forum please. I've spent some time looking and participating on the Pedelec Forum but it seems to me just a place for retailers etc to promote their bikes. The knowledge and help from this Forum is far superior and, if appropriate, would be great f it could be extended to Ebikes.

Thanks, Graham