Brooks saddle alignment

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Paulatic

Brooks saddle alignment

Post by Paulatic »

At the York Rally today I spotted a bike with a Brooks saddle way off being in alignment with the top tube. Thinking how the hell do you ride with that looked around and in close vicinity were another two exactly the same.
Is this some Yorkshire tradition, a secret passed from father to son, or just bikes belonging to people who can't see straight?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
meic

Re: Brooks saddle alignment

Post by meic »

That makes three against one.
With those odds I would be questioning my own vision.

I remember how one friend's Brooks was a completely different shape on each side, it had shaped itself to him in this way. Possibly a slight twist would "remedy" the misalignment that caused this.

Anybody who is really observant can see that my handlebars are twisted a touch to the right, an easy way to compensate for different length arms.
Yma o Hyd
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

My saddles are not lined up with the top tube. Nose is about 2 or 3 degrees to the left. More comfortable that way. Mebbe I have strange anatomy but never given it much thought.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mine have always been aligned perfectly, same as the handlebars.
It just appeals to my vision and desire for symmetry rather than my (probably not) symmetrical body. :wink:

Never tried a misalignment, but how do you find out that you need it - or not?
Mick F. Cornwall
John1054

Post by John1054 »

meic wrote:That makes three against one.
With those odds I would be questioning my own vision.

I remember how one friend's Brooks was a completely different shape on each side, it had shaped itself to him in this way. Possibly a slight twist would "remedy" the misalignment that caused this.

Anybody who is really observant can see that my handlebars are twisted a touch to the right, an easy way to compensate for different length arms.

I have my handlebars slightly out of line too, since my "falling of the roof accident", several broken ribs, shoulder blade etc. Works well for me.
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Mick F wrote:Mine have always been aligned perfectly, same as the handlebars.
It just appeals to my vision and desire for symmetry rather than my (probably not) symmetrical body. :wink:

Never tried a misalignment, but how do you find out that you need it - or not?

Trial and error led me to this, now it's more comfortable.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I have always wondered if tweaking the saddle by a few degrees for comfort would help the issue of hanging my salted cashews one side or t'other. Shuffling my deck of cards while I'm riding in public brings on a blush.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

some one I spoke to there commented he didnt like Brooks saddles because of the pointy bit what ever you call it - I guess it gets in the way of some people parts. hence the offset? I am not sure that Brookes saddles any way are that perfectly square?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I have always wondered if tweaking the saddle by a few degrees for comfort would help the issue of hanging my salted cashews one side or t'other. Shuffling my deck of cards while I'm riding in public brings on a blush.

Salted :shock:

I had to laugh recently when my mate said that his dear old Mum used to refer to the male anatomy as "milk and two sugars". :lol: