Considering alternative to Gels, etc.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
andrew_s

Re: Considering alternative to Gels, etc.

Post by andrew_s »

Force of habit. I meant that Primula "cheese" that comes in squeezy tubes similar to toothpaste tubes
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

UAVDave wrote:On bike energy supplements - right? Gels, that seems to be the modern answer. We see the pro's ripping the top off an energy gel pouch with their teeth and squirting it into them (the Gel, not the pouch).

Now, yesterday I was having a coffee in Morrisons - as you do. I decided I'd treat myself to a pack of "Bronte Ginger Biscuits" (two biscuits in a pack) to have with my coffee. Sitting there I casually glanced at the wrapper that had been on my biscuits "133kCal per biscuit" it said.

Say what??!!!! The SIS Energy Gel sitting in the back pocket of my Jersey is just 85kCal. Am I using the wrong stuff here! Should I be using Bronte's Ginger Biscuits en-ride rather than Gels? Should I be a "muncher and cruncher" not a "tearer and squirter"?

Ah, perhaps the biscuit contains loads of slow release fat based energy? Nope - I checked, its nearly all sugar!

The biscuits are smaller than a gel and they are of course solid and easy to pack, and two biscuits is a whopping 266kCals!!!!....could we see Froomy on the TdF tucking into a Bronte Ginger Biscuit I wonder? Stranger things have happened,.....

Forget all that rubbish and carry 1 banana for every 1-1,5 hr you intent to ride.
Job done.
UAVDave

Post by UAVDave »

"rubbish" eh - well, don't beat about the bush - I mean speak your mind!

I posted this originally with my tongue firmly planted firmly in my cheek. It's raised some interesting side lines in terms of what some folks actually do eat on the bike. But its also revealled to me that some in the cycling hobby world take themelves awfully seriously!

Dave
Knowledge is being aware that tomatoes are a fruit. Wisdom is not putting them into a fruit salad.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

andrew_s wrote:
Neilo wrote:My favourite fuel, both on the bike and on the hills is fruit cake

Sometimes you can get ice-it-yourself* Christmas cake cheap in the sales. If so, it will last all year, if not longer,

Last all year.... I don't understand that concept :lol: :lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

eileithyia wrote:
andrew_s wrote:
Neilo wrote:My favourite fuel, both on the bike and on the hills is fruit cake

Sometimes you can get ice-it-yourself* Christmas cake cheap in the sales. If so, it will last all year, if not longer,

Last all year.... I don't understand that concept :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buy on Dec 30th in the sales, gone by the rest of the year on Jan 1st :D
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

what happened to diluted fat coke, fig rolls, chorley cakes, ground rice cake and cheesenmarmelade butties?

sucking on a swizzles fruity pop too.

it seems all things fitness they feel the need to take too much when they don't need to and at a maximum price. energy drink for a half hour gym session is just a waste. drinking lucozade sport does not an athlete make considering they drink commercial pop diluted 50/50 with water if they don't have a sponsorship deal

I remember when the gels first started to come out, they looked like a used condom and tasted awful so I went back to refreshers.

I've been drinking a honey/lemon/salt drink on the road which is refreshing, cheap and cheerful when you buy the honey and lemon from costco. a spoonful of peanut butter perks you up before and after a ride I find. a sachet of hotel jam might work, we used to get it in ration packs.

rice crispy cakes or home made toffee mallow cake, nut butter and jam butties too. hula hoops are less messy than crisps, clip a big poundland bag to your bars and munch away

interesting thinking back at what the TDF riders did eat while riding before powerbars, team chefs and nutricionists as there was lots of fiddling with clingfilm at lunchtime, as far as I'm aware they still have dilute coke in their last bottle of the day to perk them up a bit. I used to buy K bars from the local golf pro shop as they were designed in the 60s as meal replacement bars for invalids. complan too was a staple 'food'. it worked then so no reason it wont work for me thirty years on.