Considering alternative to Gels, etc.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
UAVDave

Considering alternative to Gels, etc.

Post by UAVDave »

On bike energy supplements - right? Gels, that seems to be the modern answer. We see the pro's ripping the top off an energy gel pouch with their teeth and squirting it into them (the Gel, not the pouch).

Now, yesterday I was having a coffee in Morrisons - as you do. I decided I'd treat myself to a pack of "Bronte Ginger Biscuits" (two biscuits in a pack) to have with my coffee. Sitting there I casually glanced at the wrapper that had been on my biscuits "133kCal per biscuit" it said.

Say what??!!!! The SIS Energy Gel sitting in the back pocket of my Jersey is just 85kCal. Am I using the wrong stuff here! Should I be using Bronte's Ginger Biscuits en-ride rather than Gels? Should I be a "muncher and cruncher" not a "tearer and squirter"?

Ah, perhaps the biscuit contains loads of slow release fat based energy? Nope - I checked, its nearly all sugar!

The biscuits are smaller than a gel and they are of course solid and easy to pack, and two biscuits is a whopping 266kCals!!!!....could we see Froomy on the TdF tucking into a Bronte Ginger Biscuit I wonder? Stranger things have happened,.....
Knowledge is being aware that tomatoes are a fruit. Wisdom is not putting them into a fruit salad.
iandriver

Re: Maybe we need a rethink?

Post by iandriver »

In my experience pros are sponsored by gel manufacturers. These are only a top up.

My experience of nutrition is stuff like:

Absolute don't care amateurs - Porridge, Cheese and pickle sandwiches, flapjacks.
Enthusiastic club types - Gels and super foods.
Olympians - Porridge, Cheese and pickle sandwiches, flapjacks.

What powers you is of something you need to learn. We are all different.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

biscuits in general are 'extremely calorific'. A typical value is about 500kcal/100g.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
horizon

Post by horizon »

UAVDave wrote:Am I using the wrong stuff here!

Not necessarily, as long as you consider the packaging and what happens to it after use. Perhaps you could compare both products and report back for us?

As I mentioned to Mrs H during an advert on TV for the TdeF, just because I am a cyclist it doesn't mean I share their values.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
hondated

Post by hondated »

Brucey wrote:biscuits in general are 'extremely calorific'. A typical value is about 500kcal/100g.

cheers

They're also my downfall. Don't smoke teetotal but just cannot get rid of my biscuit habit. Indeed I am sitting here eating one with a cuppa. But then it is pouring with rain outside.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

hondated wrote:
Brucey wrote:biscuits in general are 'extremely calorific'. A typical value is about 500kcal/100g.

cheers

They're also my downfall. Don't smoke teetotal but just cannot get rid of my biscuit habit. Indeed I am sitting here eating one with a cuppa. But then it is pouring with rain outside.

:lol: Rain and biscuits are a worse combination than cycling and biscuits.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
fastpedaller

Re: Considering alternative to Gels, etc.

Post by fastpedaller »

Need to check whether biccies are on the banned list :wink:
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Nowt wrong with the old favourite, jelly babies
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

My favourite fuel, both on the bike and on the hills is fruit cake.
A mixture of different carbs, fat and protein. And it tastes good, what more could you want?
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

+1 for fruit cake
I make a Bara brith I've never discovered if it keeps
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

cheers

Choclate is too :)
But biscuits have carbs that chocolate doesn't.
But sugar is there too.
Getting a biscuit that high carbs means its hard to scoff on the hoof without coughing sawdust. :lol:
Maybe chocy bisquits.

I have found that lidl caramel waffles yummy and their chewy :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

david7591 wrote:Nowt wrong with the old favourite, jelly babies

A member of our section used them - long distance rides like 400ik and 600k and L.E.L. - serious long distance - she found they they really did the job, eaten almost continuously - but they wrecked her teeth in double quick time.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Horses for courses, gels are top ups and not heavy to digest when doing a full on effort / long distance racing (50, 100 mile or 12hr TTs), anything with a lower effort then eat real food; little and often is my motto for day rides, audax etc. Gels are for emergencies on long rides until the cafe or control has been reached.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

iandriver wrote:In my experience pros are sponsored by gel manufacturers. These are only a top up.

My experience of nutrition is stuff like:

Absolute don't care amateurs - Porridge, Cheese and pickle sandwiches, flapjacks.
Enthusiastic club types - Gels and super foods.
Olympians - Porridge, Cheese and pickle sandwiches, flapjacks.

What powers you is of something you need to learn. We are all different.

I can confirm big bowls of porridge for breakfast - flapjacks can be good bonk rations if you've made them yourself and you know what's in them - and good old egg-beans-on-(toast) at tea-stops will keep you going.......................for cheese-n'-pickle sandwiches I substitute egg, chips and beans!

A Marks&Spencer 'butter cherry genoa' cut into seven slices will get you home the last 70 miles if you've got plenty water - a slice every ten miles. Beware the varieties made with palm oil or other vegetable oil derived liquid plastic substitutes for butter - they give me hellish heartburn :( :x :twisted: . I have also recently discovered Nairns Cheese oatcakes :D - they've no discernible sugar but they do seem to get into the blood quickly and there's no sweet, sickly aftertaste. Seabrook sea salted crisps keep the salt level up if you're sweating hard on a hot day. My usual standby at moments of need is a Thorntons chocolate marzipan bar - they've got me home many times.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
eileithyia wrote:Horses for courses, gels are top ups and not heavy to digest when doing a full on effort / long distance racing (50, 100 mile or 12hr TTs), anything with a lower effort then eat real food; little and often is my motto for day rides, audax etc. Gels are for emergencies on long rides until the cafe or control has been reached.

I am interested, what do you eat on a 12hr TT?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.