York Rally 2017

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

York Rally 2017

Postby mercalia » 29 Jun 2017, 5:12pm

well was interesting. I had atlast a chance to see SPA's bikes and they looked good. Glad to know that my long steerer and long seat post that all the models showed is a common design choice

Also had a chance to look at their saddles, wow they were stiff, I dont think my back side would survive them

SPA had a special 10% offer card to use online.

They also had a how to build a wheel demo by their head wheel builder? Now what struck me was he didnt seem to do any of the spoke grabbing at all just hammer with a punch the heads of the spokes into their holes to bed them I suppose. rarther suprised me given what has been said here.

I also met 3 1-Down owners one who used it on a commuter bike, another who was doing one up and another who bought it frame and forks with other bits from one of those salvage companies that send bikes to Africa, he said the frame was in excellent condition, had been cared for, he got it all incl he said the RSX chainset for £120, lucky man.

My only criticism is that need next year to think about how they place the tents as the talks tent was drowned out by the boozers in the beer tent and then by the Foresters group nearby

Well I found the solar system green way thanks to the Belles, on Sunday, and on monday did the whole ride to Selby and back

I didnt in the end camp there but at Acomb Grange that some one here I think recommended - quite nice flat grassy but too small for caravans and bike tenters I think as too easily disturbed by the cars coming and going and ofcourse the local farmers like their muck spreading that wafted over the whole area :lol: There are on the other hand some local shops - Sainsburys and Coop and 3 takeways ( Chinese, Tandoori and Piza ) within a mile.

Dale08

Re: York Rally 2017

Postby Dale08 » 30 Jun 2017, 9:28pm

Just a quick post to a say massive well done to the volunteers and organisers for a great York rally !!
Had a great 86 mile ride on trice sprint to get there,they even ordered sunshine as well lol
As mention maybe have the marque tents with there backs to the strong winds which always blow across,this would
Make a wind break for the main area
Well done again.
gary.
Cyclists Do It Silently

UAVDave

Postby UAVDave » 30 Jun 2017, 11:15pm

I enjoyed my first York Rally -it was fun. But, and I really don't mean to be negative i am trying to be positive, its a bit of a "well kept secret" isn't it!!?? What I mean is that the attendance was hardly massive - I've seen more people at a village fete!! Well, not quite but you know what I'm saying - it certainly wasn't "busy" was it?
So why might be be? Cycling is massively popular these days, its a multi-million pound industry here in the UK alone - loads of people do it, many quite seriously as a hobby and many more who, although not "fanatics" could be talked into to nice early summer outing to York with a pleasant activity to fill at least one day. So why weren't they there? I think they would have enjoyed it - it's a good show.
I think the reason is,....no one told them. It didn't appear on any of the "What's on in York" guides I saw, the Twitter page had 21 (yes, 21) followers by Saturday morning. The website? Well let's say its a bit "low key"? Signs around York? I didn't see any. If I'd not known it was at Knavemire (and happed to know where Knavesmire is) I wouldn't have found it. Averts in a cycling press? I didn't see any.
So, how did I find it? I found it from a thread on here! If I hadn't seen that thread I wouldn't have known about it - and I'm a very keen cyclist!
I suspect the event is mainly surviving on the same group of people who have always gone fo years - put they are getting older, and by the force of nature they are getting fewer! The show needs to find a new audience and there has possibly not been a better time in recent years to find them.
Dave
Knowledge is being aware that tomatoes are a fruit. Wisdom is not putting them into a fruit salad.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 1 Jul 2017, 8:16am

Join the friends!

Due to health issues (and a bereavement) I didn't make it this year but it's on my calendar for next year.

Advertising does cost money but I agree it could be advertised with our excellent Yorkshire tourist board, maybe a few posters on the TDY route, get Harry Gration and co on board maybe?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 1 Jul 2017, 8:31am

It's interesting Dave mentions advertising and Twitter.
What I did notice was a request from @YorkRally to CUK for a retweet was ignored. Look at CUK @WeAreCyclingUK and you will notice how keen they normally are to retweet anything concerning cycling. Most noticeable if it concerns #women or #children.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 Jul 2017, 8:48am

Why would they retweet it? Didn't they deep six the event in favour of attending Eroica Britannia?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 1 Jul 2017, 12:13pm

After years of allowing the Rally to gradually run down coupled with the ill-fated change of name, I would think the last thing the CTC would like is the revival of the Rally.

Hopefully if it continues and I think it will, word will spread and numbers should once again increase. This could also lead to more funds available for marketing the event. Also the committee and volunteers deserve a lot of praise for reviving the Rally and getting it this far.

Most of those who camped in the lightweight section will tell of the friendliness and camaraderie that prevailed among like the minded touring cyclists. For those who have never been come along next year and join us, we will be pleased to welcome you.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 1 Jul 2017, 12:17pm

bikepacker wrote:After years of allowing the Rally to gradually run down coupled with the ill-fated change of name, I would think the last thing the CTC would like is the revival of the Rally.

Hopefully if it continues and I think it will, word will spread and numbers should once again increase. This could also lead to more funds available for marketing the event. Also the committee and volunteers deserve a lot of praise for reviving the Rally and getting it this far.

Most of those who camped in the lightweight section will tell of the friendliness and camaraderie that prevailed among like the minded touring cyclists. For those who have never been come along next year and join us, we will be pleased to welcome you.

oh why? did they use to run the Rally?

One interresting item was the talk on E-bikes. Showing the various placements for the motor. The speaker showed an E-Brompton. I think he said they were do out soon. The battery being in the front carrier bag. His display allowed you to try out them.

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 1 Jul 2017, 12:32pm

The Rally was run by the CTC for many years then along came Kevin Mayne. He wanted to change the look of the Rally and in 2000 came up with the millennium idea which turned off many of the dedicated Rally goers. Since then the CTC had less and less involvement until they wanted not more to do with it and the event was shelved.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

PH

Postby PH » 1 Jul 2017, 12:55pm

bikepacker wrote:The Rally was run by the CTC for many years then along came Kevin Mayne. He wanted to change the look of the Rally and in 2000 came up with the millennium idea which turned off many of the dedicated Rally goers. Since then the CTC had less and less involvement until they wanted not more to do with it and the event was shelved.

I don't think that's the full history. It misses out that in the final years the Rally/Show was run by a member group rather than HQ. My understanding is that the organising group wouldn't accept the conditions that would have come with support from national office. Maybe you know different?

The new Rally is great, but look at the market, you could start with the average age! It's not a criticism, I'm within that demographic, but you're mistaken if you think it'll ever appeal to the crowds that went to Eroica the weekend before. Or compare it to Mildenhall, which is centered around cycling as sport and that is where the new popularity of cycling is, however many talks CJ gives to the converted.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 1 Jul 2017, 4:22pm

Do they still have the British Schools grass track racing at the Rally? We went for a number of years, as my son was riding the grass track but we made a weekend of it. I always thoroughly enjoyed it. If you get the kids to go for the racing, then the whole family will go for the weekend and join in the other activities too. I was going to go again this year, but we were away on holiday.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 1 Jul 2017, 4:59pm

PH wrote:
bikepacker wrote:The Rally was run by the CTC for many years then along came Kevin Mayne. He wanted to change the look of the Rally and in 2000 came up with the millennium idea which turned off many of the dedicated Rally goers. Since then the CTC had less and less involvement until they wanted not more to do with it and the event was shelved.

I don't think that's the full history. It misses out that in the final years the Rally/Show was run by a member group rather than HQ. My understanding is that the organising group wouldn't accept the conditions that would have come with support from national office. Maybe you know different?

The new Rally is great, but look at the market, you could start with the average age! It's not a criticism, I'm within that demographic, but you're mistaken if you think it'll ever appeal to the crowds that went to Eroica the weekend before. Or compare it to Mildenhall, which is centered around cycling as sport and that is where the new popularity of cycling is, however many talks CJ gives to the converted.

one thing that surprised me was so many strange looking old people ( and I dont mean me :lol: ) A very select crowd. I hope it continues to run as a nice break at that time of year

pete75

Postby pete75 » 1 Jul 2017, 5:26pm

PH wrote:
bikepacker wrote:

Who wants it to appeal to the same crowd who go to Eroica. L'Eroica in Tuscany is a great event - the one here just a pale imitation. These pics show the difference in class, Eroica Brittania bearded ponce wearing a world champs jersey he got by handing over some cash and in the real L'Eroica Felici Gimondi riding in a world champs jersey he won the hard way - by beating the likes of Eddy Merckx and Freddy Maertens.

PH

Postby PH » 1 Jul 2017, 6:32pm

pete75 wrote:Who wants it to appeal to the same crowd who go to Eroica.

However much you deride it, the event appeals to far more cyclists than York ever has. I've never been, in the years it's clashed with York I've chosen that, this year when it didn't I was away.
Who wants to attract that crowd? I didn't say anyone did. But if it doesn't, York Rally will remain a niche event. There's anything wrong with that, I shall continue to go. If i get the opportunity I shall go to Eroica as well, there was plenty there of interest to me
https://eroicabritannia.co.uk/festival-lineup

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 1 Jul 2017, 7:01pm

PH wrote:

I think one of the conditions from national office was actually moving it away from York? Possibly to Harrogate?
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com