York Rally 2017

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
meic

Re: York Rally 2017

Post by meic »

What is the trailer in the background of the last photograph, do they have rickshaws in York now?
Yma o Hyd
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

by meic » 7 Jul 2017, 10:28am
What is the trailer in the background of the last photograph, do they have rickshaws in York now?

I think it was a family with a cargo trike. There were a few of them dotting about.
Agitate, educate, organise.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

pete75 wrote:
Who wants it to appeal to the same crowd who go to Eroica. L'Eroica in Tuscany is a great event - the one here just a pale imitation. These pics show the difference in class, Eroica Brittania bearded ponce wearing a world champs jersey he got by handing over some cash and in the real L'Eroica Felici Gimondi riding in a world champs jersey he won the hard way - by beating the likes of Eddy Merckx and Freddy Maertens.

I think your characterisation of Eroica Britannia is deliberately selective and rather unfair, Pete. You could as easily have contrasted Eroica Britannia 2017 photos of Tour de France stage winner Brian Robinson, Tour de France stage winner Chris Boardman or Tour de France stage winner David Millar with any of the legion of fat old blokes in over-tight team kit that visit and ride L'Eroica Tuscany and drawn much the same conclusions in reverse. The joy of the Britannia event is that is has plenty of space and interest for hipsters, wives, children and, god forbid, non-cyclists, as well as for 'serious cyclists' of all creeds.

I've not been to L'Eroica Tuscany (yet) but having talked to people who have the ride is great but the festival is apparently not a patch on Britannia. We've just returned from Eroica Limburg which was a great (wet) event but absolutely tiny compared to Britannia (ride and festival), and without anything like the range of participants or bikes.

It's probably ten years since I last went to the York Rally but even the best year I experienced was a poor thing compared to this year's Eroica Britannia. I don't doubt that there was fun to be had at York this year, and you could certainly argue that £65 is a lot of money to look at some stalls and then ride round Derbyshire. I would contend however that Eroica Britannia is an inclusive and fun festival of cycling which has no equal in Britain today.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

speedsixdave wrote:I think your characterisation of Eroica Britannia is deliberately selective and rather unfair, Pete. You could as easily have contrasted Eroica Britannia 2017 photos of Tour de France stage winner Brian Robinson, Tour de France stage winner Chris Boardman or Tour de France stage winner David Millar with any of the legion of fat old blokes in over-tight team kit that visit and ride L'Eroica Tuscany and drawn much the same conclusions in reverse. The joy of the Britannia event is that is has plenty of space and interest for hipsters, wives, children and, god forbid, non-cyclists, as well as for 'serious cyclists' of all creeds.

I've not been to L'Eroica Tuscany (yet) but having talked to people who have the ride is great but the festival is apparently not a patch on Britannia. We've just returned from Eroica Limburg which was a great (wet) event but absolutely tiny compared to Britannia (ride and festival), and without anything like the range of participants or bikes.

It's probably ten years since I last went to the York Rally but even the best year I experienced was a poor thing compared to this year's Eroica Britannia. I don't doubt that there was fun to be had at York this year, and you could certainly argue that £65 is a lot of money to look at some stalls and then ride round Derbyshire. I would contend however that Eroica Britannia is an inclusive and fun festival of cycling which has no equal in Britain today.

You obviously like such things I don't. I like York you don't - so what?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Malky 1422

Post by Malky 1422 »

I went to the York Rally this year, certainly the show isnt what it was, but its a great effort put up by the Friends of York Rally, and hopefully it will grow. I did one of the Saturday rides to Selby, covering around 60 mls. I would like to see a ride on the Sunday next year as well, as the ones on offer were rather short, I would have loved to have done another maybe 40 or 50 mls. It was a great oportunity to meet other cyclists. There was still plenty of time to look around the show as it was small. I particularly enjoyed the talks, and the vintage bikes. Well done keep it up, I will be there again next year and will do the rides again.
ebor62

Post by ebor62 »

Despite attending cycle shows, races and rallies many times a year, York Rally remains a favourite for me. The first York Rally I attended in 1961, steered me towards a decent bike, joining a cycle club and touring and racing. This year I rode 300 miles over 3 days, staying at Youth Hostels to attend and have already put next years dates on the calendar. However I understand that the CTC tourist of the past is an ageing breed. The volunteers have done an excellent job and have my sincere thanks for keeping this event going. I try and support the exhibitors, buying products at the show or later. The best part though is the interesting and friendly cyclists that one chats to. I am sure the committee will look at some of the ideas and comments, on this site, for some fresh ideas. Long may it continue.