Dramatic bicycle and car crash .. but who had priority?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rparussel

Dramatic bicycle and car crash .. but who had priority?

Post by rparussel »

Yesterday during my cycle home I was involved in this accident in Dorset UK. I have a suspicion that I crossed a junction without having priority over the car, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd be interested to hear your opinions. Here's the YouTube link: https://youtu.be/UmGmwoV_faE

Today the owner of the vehicle, the driver's father, phoned me to ask if I wanted to pay towards the damages of the car, which included a shattered windscreen. I got the feeling from the conversation that his motive wasn't necessarily to seek compensation, but to maybe gauge what my next steps would be. Anyway, it's got me thinking, is the blame 100% mine or is there some shared responsibility here.
foxyrider

Re: Dramatic bicycle and car crash .. but who had priority?

Post by foxyrider »

Looks 100% your fault, the car clearly has ROW, you didn't even slow for the junction despite the car being in clear view.

Riding without due care.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
meic

Post by meic »

You sacrifice your priority over side junctions when you use a cycle path instead of a road.

If you are a Cycling UK member then quickly phone up and hand this over to the insurance company as that is one of your membership benefits, failing that look at any house insurance that you have, though consider if the rise in premiums may make it a better deal to just pay up yourself.
Yma o Hyd
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Agree with above and about the third party insurance.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
james01

Post by james01 »

Sorry about your crash, hope you're soon recovered. I agree with the other comments, but it has to be said that the design of British cycle paths invites this type of accident and you can often be safer staying on the main highway rather than risking a crash at every junction or driveway entrance. In Holland the road markings would usually require the motor traffic to stop and check for cyclists before edging forward to enter the main road. There's a pavement cycle path locally with multiple private driveway entrances crossing it- an accident waiting to happen, typical UK design.
Rob87

Post by Rob87 »

You're at fault it would appear, however! Whenit appears you glanced to check the Audi was hidden behind that white sign.
It's easily done, I'm a bus driver and one issue on roundabouts with shrubbery (even from a bus seat) is you'll check 1 or 2 oclock to look for people taking the exit after yours.
You look and cant see anything so commit to move into the roundabout, only for a car to come flying round as when you did your check it was behind the sodding bush.
Might not be a defence but would go some way as to why it happened perhaps.
gaz

Post by gaz »

james01 wrote:Sorry about your crash, hope you're soon recovered.

+1
meic wrote:You sacrifice your priority over side junctions when you use a cycle path instead of a road.

That tends to be regarded and indeed engineered as the default postition. It is extremely rare for a motor traffic route in the UK to have markings to "Give Way" where it is crossed by a cycletrack. I note that the cycletrack in your video does not have any markings to indicate cyclists should "Give Way" to motor traffic. Is it in fact a "no priority" junction?*

meic wrote:If you are a Cycling UK member then quickly phone up and hand this over to the insurance company as that is one of your membership benefits, failing that look at any house insurance that you have, though consider if the rise in premiums may make it a better deal to just pay up yourself.

IMO if you have any source of legal advice or insurance available take advantage of it ASAP.

*I doubt that you can make the idea that it could be a "no priority" junction stick. Proper legal advice is needed, not discussion on an internet forum. There would still be the matter of driving/riding at a speed where you can stop within the distance that you can see to be clear.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
horizon

Post by horizon »

I regularly cycle this route (and the Rodwell trail from Weymouth). As others have said, it's strange that the car has priority over the cycle path while the other cars have priority over the road. Dorset CC are proud that they have now completed the whole cycle route to Dorchester. Hmmm...

However, this cycle path only exists on one side of the road which means you are facing oncoming cyclists as well. Lots of cyclists IMV go far too fast along here and I've had near several near misses with bikes. Had you taken the road (as you should have IMV) then the problem wouldn't have existed.

But my sympathy is with you - crap cycle path. Crap, crap, crap.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I agree the signage is not best placed, and probably as turning left, the car driver was concentrating on traffic approaching from his right, but you could clearly see the car on the approach (although partially obscured by the sign) and personally I would never have ridden out into the car's path, but then I would not have been on a cycle way like and been on the road. I have used cycle routes in Holland where you would have had priority, there are plenty where I live that don't give priority over the side road... so I won't use them... simples.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oof! Top crashing, OP. I can't add much to what others have said, but glad you're OK. I fear your inattention has cost you dear on this one, but only in a material sense, which is what matters.

Even if the priority had been different on the path I'd still have been on the brakes to make sure that the car was going to do what it should do.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How fast were you going? Are there signs indicating priority, or do cyclists*always* have to give way?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

The car driver is obliged to inform their insurance company. This is a condition of all policies where there is an accident involving a third party regardless of who they think is at fault. This is understandable because the drivers view of who is to blame may not be the correct one. The insurance company should then deal with their policy holders damage. It's up to the insurance company to then pursue the third party if they think they are liable. It costs the insurance company to chase the claim and they are unlikely to do so against a type of road user who does not carry compulsory insurance such as a cyclist particularly where the damage is minimal as here.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I can understand the driver wanting to go ex insurers though, (except for the screen) as notwithstanding absence of fault, he will get hit by extra premiums as a result.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Sorry you had a crash but looking at the video it was clearly your fault.
I'm one of those cautious types who slow down a junctions on a cycle path even if the rule is for the cars to give way. I have seen a lot of cars not even slow when crossing a paths, even when they can clearly see cyclist approaching the crossing. At least you are OK and not badly injured.
pwa

Post by pwa »

We all make mistakes and it was your turn to make one this time. My own preference, if it were me, would be to apologise and try to sort it amicably. It makes everyone feel better that way. And be kind to yourself. We all do something wrong at some point. At least nobody got seriously hurt.