Trailer lights - anyone know the law?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandriver

Re:

Post by iandriver »

Fonant wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:FWIW I should have thought that two, one on each side was a safer bet.

So long as they don't make your trailer look like a car some way off in the distance...

I'd go for one constant light on the off-side, and perhaps a flasher somewhere else too, but I'd avoid two side-by-side constant lights.

Darn good point. This has been a problem with twin headlights on motorcycles I think, they look like a car much further away. One on the off side sounds like plenty to me.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Vorpal

Re: Trailer lights - anyone know the law?

Post by Vorpal »

Trailer has a buggy handle, (almost) covered in Frog lights. I usually put the ones on the ends on solid, and the rest on blinky.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Personally I would have two, one on each side. I don't think you will look like a distant motor vehicle - they have to have reflective (apart from a few), illuminated rear number plates as well.

I would also have something on the arm that attached the trailer to the bike, and on the trailer, showing it to the sides so you can see the shape of it on junctions from the side. I would have thought yellow reflective tape would be effective for this. And maybe something on the back as well, red reflective. My caravan has a line of yellow LED lamps along the sides, an earlier 'van had a line of reflectors glued on! Its amazing how effective these can be even at a great distance when picked-out by car headlamps.

I have some of the red on the rear mudguards of my bikes to supplement the rear reflector, and also on the door and boot lid edges of my cars for when/if I stop at the roadside. (Plus yellow spots on the jacking points on the cars, so I can find them easily in the dark!)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

250kg?really?sounds like an enormous load.I used to haul logs out of the forest,admittedly with a yak bob and anything over 30-40kg was impossible.I,d imagine a two wheeled trailer to be totally different.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

cyclop wrote:250kg?really?sounds like an enormous load.I used to haul logs out of the forest,admittedly with a yak bob and anything over 30-40kg was impossible.I,d imagine a two wheeled trailer to be totally different.

That post was from 2008 :D

With a two wheeled trailer though, the limit is most likely on the equipment (brakes!), rather than capability. If the trailer rolls easily, I imagine that many people could haul 250 kg.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
fullupandslowingdown

Re: Re:

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
fullupandslowingdown wrote:...lso you need one rear reflector which is supposed to be cycle type and NOT a triangular trailer type.....

No, in the UK you do need an Ece III OR IIIa Triangular reflector on a cycle trailer* (its the Germans who ban them on pedal-cycle trailers ("you're in a country with too many rules... where are you?" said the pub landlord :) )

*https://web.archive.org/web/20170113065923/https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations

Not sure when in the last ten years it changed. Thanks for the update.

250Kg.... I speak from experience. On any gradient it's a killer to tow, but on the flat you can build up speed, very very slowly. For more sensible towing I'd go by the 80% rule of thumb, i.e less than your own butt on bike weight. Then the degree of pushing you get from the trailer in corners and braking is less than hostile spectators abusing Froome