Comfort vs Utility

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AF83

Comfort vs Utility

Post by AF83 »

Hi All, relative newbie to cycling although I used to cycle a lot in my teens. Now overweight in my mid 30s I have for some reason signed myself up to do the Palace to Palace in October. I have a Saracen mountain bike which I've used about 10 times in 5 years and have concluded that attempting 45miles on that isn't going to do me any favours. So, I'm looking for something new. As I'll be doing my training on a cycle path with some gravel I can't get a road bike so hybrid seems to make the most sense. I was aiming for either a Boardman Hybrid Pro or the Hybrid Team (because I prefer the look of it) but on a visit to Halfords today when I tried a few, I didn't feel entirely comfortable until I hopped onto a boardman with suspension (comp?) as I was checking frame sizes and I felt much more at home. I'm convinced that this is due to the elevation of the handlebars with the suspension. So my question is, should I go with a lighter bike that is more fit for purpose or should I go heavier because I'm used to cycling in that position? even though I'll have the suspension locked.
Thanks
pwa

Re: Comfort vs Utility

Post by pwa »

Mmm. A hybrid makes sense for the reasons you say. So does getting a position that feels right. But having to get suspension forks that you don't want just to raise the bars to the right height seems like the wrong way of getting the bars where you want them. Anyone suggest another bike that might tick all the boxes?
mjr

Post by mjr »

It might just be that the Hybrids you tried had the handlebars set low. Longer stems are probably available - even if they're aheadsets, high-rise stems and steerer extenders exist.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Definitely go for the bike you feel most comfortable on, it should be possible to make adjustments to get that on a bike that is the right size. You'll certainly notice riding a bike that doesn't fit you right more than you'll notice carrying a bit of extra weight.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

You can quite easily and fairly affordably (£20-ish) change the stem to change the handlebar position. However, there might be some trial and error involved (i.e. multiple £20 stems needed) before you find the right position. So if you can find one that’s right from the outset, there’s less risk.

However, as a new rider, your preferred position will probably change over the first few months.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

What sort of Saracen mountain bike. Plenty of people tour on mountain bikes.

Model and year or photo would help.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Buy a road bike.
BTwin 500SE.
Fit Schwalbe Marathon 28mm tyres
Convert chainset to single ring, lose front derailleur.

Ride the Planet.

These bikes are so good i have 2.
And happy to lend you one for some extended riding (60cm frame).

Costs ; Bike new £299.
Chainring £12 from SPA.
Tyres: lots of deals around.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mines-a-pint

Post by mines-a-pint »

I was in a similar position to you last year. My wife entered me in the Prudential 100 (charity ride) and not being a cyclist started reading up on it and somewhere I read that putting in the same amount of effort a road bike is 2mph quicker than a hybrid (don't know if its true thou) that swayed it for me so I bought an old model Trek 1.2 for the ride and managed to complete in 5 hours 40 which I was pleased with...
AF83

Post by AF83 »

Thanks for all the replies. Plenty to think about!

Pwa: yes it does seem silly to be carrying useless shocks around and although i might venture off-road a little bit, I don't think i would be enthusiastic enough to put myself in a situation of actually needing shocks.

Mjr: that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of adjusting/extending handlebar height, that might do the trick.

Elizabethsdad: agreed, I should probably find a shop that can guide me a bit more on frame size too. It may be that I was more comfortable because of the frame rather than the forks (they didn't have non-suspension bikes in that frame size)

Samuel D: I think that might be a good option and I'm curious to see if I might naturally adjust to a new position

Simonhill: it's a rufftrax2 http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/saracen/rufftrax-2-2006 I quite like the bike and thought about putting some slicker tyres on, just not sure on the gearing and weight of it

Landsurfer: very kind but I shudder at the thought of a road bike. I'd end up in a bush with the narrowness of the bars and I've tried to lean into a road bike position on my mountain bike and just couldn't cope! I clearly can't balance

Mines-a-pint: at least you have an excuse, I volunteered myself! It's the speed that I'm most conscious of, I went on a 15mile cycle on my mountain bike last weekend and averaged 10mph which would have me at about 4.5hrs on a 45miles ride (more like 5.5hrs if I run out of steam!)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Just change the tyres for high pressure semi-slick touring tyres. Job done.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

Slicker tyres on the bike you have will make it loads quicker, I use an 80s steel mtb with inexpensive wide near slicks 26x1.95 wide, it rolls nicely and is comfortable, I have acquired an old Raleigh Pioneer Hybrid on 700c 32mm cross country tyres (slightly knobbly) I think if I had to do 45 miles tomorrow I would use the Raleigh.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mines-a-pint wrote:...somewhere I read that putting in the same amount of effort a road bike is 2mph quicker than a hybrid (don't know if its true thou)...

It's not. Maybe in the as-sold setups it might be, but set that hybrid up correctly and put easy-rolling tyres on it and there won't be much in it. Fit swept handlebars in an agressive low position and the closer gearing and wider tyres might actually put the hybrid in front! Not that it matters, as the randomness of time taken to get through junctions will probably wipe out any speed difference between any two bikes on most rides, as this medic discovered: http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6801

That's a problem with the internet - people write all sorts of mad stuff on it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I toured on a hybrid with the handle bar set high and it was still a painful experience after about 4 hrs. I converted my mtb and now I can ride all day.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The most important part of being comfortable on a bike is having the right position.

I recommend putting some slicks, like Schwalbe City Jet or Big Apple on your mountain bike, and working with the position on that, first.

It's easy to fit something like an adjustable stem, so you can easily modify your handlebar position.

Have a look at this bike fitting guide by another forum member http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf

Once you get comfortable on your moutain bike, or have determined that it's not possible, you will likely know what to look for in another bike. Otherwise, you will at least likely have to go through this process with your new bike, and may find that it's not the right bike, afterall.

Some shops also offer professional fitting services. If you are willing to post what area you do your shopping in (without too much detail), someone on here is likely to be able to recommend a place that you can get a professional fitting.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

AF83 wrote:I'd end up in a bush with the narrowness of the bars and I've tried to lean into a road bike position on my mountain bike and just couldn't cope! I clearly can't balance

This may be because your saddle is not in the right place.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom