HPVs classification.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
[XAP]Bob

Re: HPVs classification.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Legally your only issue will be complying with lighting regs after dark (in particular the pedal reflector requirement).

Practicallly you might want to stick with roads and well known paths (since anti cyclist barriers will stop you rather easily...

Thy don't fall into the unicyclist hole because that hole is created by the bicycle often being described as a pedal cycle with 2,3,4 or more wheels... (superfluous 3 and 4 in there, that's legalese for you)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Legally they are bicycles unless you stick electric motors rated at more than 250W in them. I have been interested in them for almost a decade but not bitten the bullet yet. May do so yet but I'm looking for the right balance of speed, weather protection, practicality, reliability, mantainability etc. as well as cost. The Leiba X-Stream is the one I favour at the moment. I'd post a link but their website is gradually being re-developed so not much info there currently.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Your best place to go for advice is probably these guys:-
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
Most of the issues are going to be more of a practical nature - such as turning circle, getting in and out, reversing, overheating (you get very warm inside one), rolling it by taking a corner too fast, getting your line right to miss pot holes (problem with any trike) and more that I can't bring to mind straight off. Basically you will need to read the road ahead and think ahead and anticipate a bit more.