Anyone use a Sat Map gps

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cunobelin

Re: Anyone use a Sat Map gps

Post by Cunobelin »

I have the original 'Active 10" and to be quite honest it is bigger, bulkier and more difficult to use than any other that I have tried.

I did a couple of cycle tours and some hill-walking, but it was far from waterproof, the maps were often unreadable as condensation built up on the screen.

The "clip on screen" also scratched very easily

Gave up after about a year, put it in a cupboard and only brought it out to use with the Scouts at camp, and good weather.

Replaced it with an early mapped Garmin which was more robust, smaller and easier to handle
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

If anyone here has a Teasi - UPDATE NOW. Support and updates cease on 31 December 2021. See my post:

viewtopic.php?p=1657707#p1657707

Peter Lancashire, Düsseldorf
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've had all three of SatMap's GPS devices - their A10, A12 and the current model, the A20. My view is that their advantages - a good GPS fix, with a view based on OS mapping - outways their flaws, just. I think of them in the same way I think of Peter Walker's electrostatic loudspeakers - that the first iterations were more like pre-production models - prototypes, if you like and not really quite ready for market!
Their current A20, at last, has slick screen drawing performance and a good, long-lived battery... as well as touch-screen control, which I have turned off. Funnily enough, while the 20 features the genuine all-day battery performance and slick software that it should have had from launch, as well as much better moisture-resistance, its achilles-heel is the floppy little rubber flap that attempts to cover the USB port - so floppy in fact that most suppliers will throw in a packet of spare covers from the get-go, as they are known to fail.
The main benefit as far as I see it, is the sd-card which has coverage of the whole of GB, at 50k, 25k & 10k OS mapping, however this only comes with their most expensive option. If the op wants to see the unit in action, there's some reasonable 'review' videos to be found on UTube, from gpstraining. Lastly, in its latest and most successful iteration, the unit is a large and quite heavy brick of an object - nearly half as heavy again as the A12... All-in-all, like the Quad Electrostatic, something of a flawed masterpiece...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Warning, 4 plus year old post.

I just read it all hoping to gain a bit of info. Aaaaaaggggghhhhh!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Good spot - doesn't stop me yacking on about SatMaps, mind !!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)