Anyone use a Sat Map gps

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
steady eddy

Anyone use a Sat Map gps

Post by steady eddy »

There has been lots of (inconclusive) discussion about Garmins on here in recent days. What about Sat Map gps. Promoted extensively in Cycle and in web advertising, they have larger screens than Garmins and are apparently made here in the UK.
On some of the walking sites they are criticised for having fiddly and fragile battery connections.
The man in my local branch of Cotswold Leisure, whom seem to be the main outlet for them, tried to sell me a Garmin instead, on the basis that it was better.

Sat Map's own website tells me that they are the GPS of choice of many mountain rescue teams. Some conflicting evidence here.

Does anybody have any experience of them which they can share?
Paulatic

Re: Anyone use a Sat Map gps

Post by Paulatic »

Their blurb says they are a UK based company. Often that is very different to being manufactured in the UK.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'd look at what mapping they can provide and what mapping you want. Not on SatMap, but through different software I purchased entire East of England OS mapping, used it for a bit then switched to OpenStreet Map mapping which I find far better for cycling around. Not used the OS mapping loaded for ages (may have even deleted it off now).

I use a OpenStreet Map variant that includes contour lines and altitude data.

Ian
Cuddly Ocelot

Post by Cuddly Ocelot »

I went for SatMap instead of Garmin because of the larger screen. It is quite long in the tooth due to its age, over 6 years old, now but is still accurate. It came complete with full UK OS Landranger Mapping. I have only used it for Mountain Walking and never for cycling so I can only speak for that activity.

Unsure of the price of the new models but I would say they are good.
Our streets are littered with expensive, rotting and polluting tin cans obstructing the free passage of pedestrians, horses, cyclists and motor vehicles
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I should also mention the Wahoo Elemnt. Early days, but I think it is going to knock socks off Garmin.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Teasi one3 for me
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

]
Heltor Chasca wrote:I should also mention the Wahoo Elemnt. Early days, but I think it is going to knock socks off Garmin.

Intrigued.

How? Why?
Sweep
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Sweep wrote:]
Heltor Chasca wrote:I should also mention the Wahoo Elemnt. Early days, but I think it is going to knock socks off Garmin.

Intrigued.

How? Why?

Because Garmin has held a monopoly for years and consequently sat on their laurels. They haven't bothered to sort out all their software and touch screen issues that customers have been bleating about for years but we have stuck with them as there hasn't been much choice...

...until

Enter stage left: Wahoo and their Elemnt and Elemnt Bolt. A tidy, expansive and easy to use bike GPS. I've jumped the Gamin ship already and bobbing along nicely with Wahoo.

Have a look at DCRainmaker's comprehensive review and a plethora of YouTube videos to get a better idea than I can put in words to you.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

[url][/url]To be honest you haven't said much.

I am not interested in a touch screen gps.

Edit, just looked at chain reaction - big blurb saying "the choice of champions" and as used by team sky. Each to their own but that's not my type of cycling.
Sweep
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Sweep wrote:[url][/url]To be honest you haven't said much.

I am not interested in a touch screen gps.

Edit, just looked at chain reaction - big blurb saying "the choice of champions" and as used by team sky. Each to their own but that's not my type of cycling.

Quite. I haven't said much and I stated that. That's because there are comprehensive reviews out there for you to look at. I'm no techie but I am a customer who needs a device that works and is reliable. I pays my monies and I buys what I want. Garmin is a shut chapter for me.

What are your experiences with GPS out touring or on an Audax? Do share.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I use an Etrex 20 with open street maps.

Have used it on tours and for long rides - last one 260km in one go - all plotted in advance.

Sometimes I plot day routes on tour with a map in hand to help with placing the points.

It suits me and despite some quirks I would recommend it for that sort of riding.

It freezes now and again but I just take out and reinsert the batteries and off I go.

I appreciate that Team Sky might not appreciate that but then they have a team of support staff and vehicles for the smallest issue.

I'm not an Audax person.
Sweep
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

steady eddy wrote:There has been lots of (inconclusive) discussion about Garmins on here in recent days. What about Sat Map gps. Promoted extensively in Cycle and in web advertising, they have larger screens than Garmins and are apparently made here in the UK.
On some of the walking sites they are criticised for having fiddly and fragile battery connections.
The man in my local branch of Cotswold Leisure, whom seem to be the main outlet for them, tried to sell me a Garmin instead, on the basis that it was better.

Sat Map's own website tells me that they are the GPS of choice of many mountain rescue teams. Some conflicting evidence here.

Does anybody have any experience of them which they can share?

I bought a Satmap Active 10 about 7 or 8 years ago primarily because at that time it came with free UK OS mapping.The mapping was digital right down to 1:25000(I think this is why,at that time,it was used by most MR teams).Route plotting was easy(like Memory Map) and because of the smalll toggle on the unit it was easy to plot routes directly on the unit without a PC.
The unit itself was big and a bit bulky compared to a Garmin and this is why I only used it on the bike(MTB) once.The bike mount was also expensive at £25.
I used it a couple of time whilst walking just out of curiosity and it worked fine BUT if you zoomed right in for extra detail etc it ate the battery.
I hardly used it so sold it to a mate who stil uses it today.
IMO it's geared more towards off-road/MTB/walking than road use and more modern Garmin/Wahoo etc do a better job if you want turn-by-turn navigation on the road.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I struggle to see why a lot of these devices are as expensive as they are.

WaHoo did a rflkt (or some other crass misspelling) recently, which looked like a decent idea - use the immensely powerful computer that the vast majority of people are carrying anyway, and just be a remote screen for it (since it is the screen that drains all the power from said computer).

But they've discontinued it AFAICT, shame.
I shall continue to not know what I'm doing out on the road, and just believe my legs (or tell them to shut up, Jens Voigt style - just without the power or speed).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

"As used by" usually means given free as part of a sponsorship deal and hence they have no real choice if they want our money than to keep quiet about any real problems and issues
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cunobelin wrote:"As used by" usually means given free as part of a sponsorship deal and hence they have no real choice if they want our money than to keep quiet about any real problems and issues

Sometimes.
I chatted to a couple of people I know on two of the MR teams who use(d) the unit and they rated it for the mapping,screen size and accuracy.

Whether or not they'd buy one is another matter!