Whispbar Roof Rack - How many bikes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sussex_cyclist

Whispbar Roof Rack - How many bikes?

Post by sussex_cyclist »

Hello,

We're buying a roof rack to carry our bikes as we're fed up with the awkwardness of the carrier that hangs off the back of the car. Also it only takes 3 bikes and we can't pop the youngest's bike in the boot any more.

The Whispbar 27 roof bar looks like it can be left on permanently which would be great for convenience and a quick cycle outing. It's also much quieter than some, which would be better with a car-sick dog. :roll: But how many bikes will fit on it? It is not as long as the "through bar" versions available.

We do not have extra special bikes and don't mind them being a bit squashed together. But does anyone know if we could fit 4 on top?

Any advice will be much appreciated,

Thanks
Elly
thirdcrank

Re: Whispbar Roof Rack - How many bikes?

Post by thirdcrank »

I've no experience of that particular rack but here are a few tips:-

AFAIK, any roof rack will increase drag/ wind resistance, especially at speed so there will inevitably be some noise and increased fuel consumption. IMO, unless you are using the bike carriers daily - eg pro cycling team car - I think you are better looking for ease of fitting and removal rather than leaving it permanently fitted.

Unless it's a tiny car, four bikes should be OK. Careful head-to-tail fitting should provide the room. Your main restriction is the car manufacturer's recommended roof load - check your handbook.

Remember that you will eventually change cars. Make sure that whatever system you buy will allow some versatility. The bits that come into contact with the car are pretty model-specific, but systems like Thule offer the bits and pieces separately to make changing cars a bit easier.
sussex_cyclist

Post by sussex_cyclist »

Thank you for the useful points. Will check the handbook for the car; it's a galaxy so shouldn't be a problem I hope.

I guess you are right, we won't realistically want to leave the bars on long term so ease of removal is probably important - along with definitely being able to fit the 4 bikes!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see from a quick check of a chart that the Galaxy was made with and without roof rails. If you have one with standard roof rails, then there are several makes with a sort of claw fitting which just grips the rails. IME, that's best for ease of fitting and removal, and also interchangeability between models.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I leave my roof rack on almost all the time and don't notice any reduction in mpg when it doesn't have bikes fitted. I get perhaps a 10% reduction in mpg when it's loaded up with bikes, but it's hard to tell as I'm usually driving further and faster than normal, if loaded with bikes.

I've transferred the same roof rack between 3 cars. Mine is a Thule rack, and you just need to buy a new foot kit to suit the new vehicle. The bars and other bits are usually interchangeable. Mine's currently set up for 2 bikes but I have had it set up for 4 previously.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

When the children were younger we managed to get five bikes (2 adult, 2 teenager, 1 child) on the roof of a Galaxy on several occasions.

It's a blooming long way up, though!

Andrew
sussex_cyclist

Post by sussex_cyclist »

Thank you everyone! :)

Good to hear there is not a noticeable MPG change with leaving them on.... and yes, it is a tall car. I think we might need a step-ladder to get the bikes on and then we will need an extra roof fitting to take THAT with us on holiday!
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I'm surprised you say you notice no difference with the bars on.
I had roofbars/bike racks left on the roof of various cars for over a decade then I got a car with a Fuel computer so decided to experiment and it was a real eye opener!
The car in question Vectra C Estate 2.0 D.Running around it did 38mpg.With just Roofbars/Racks this dropped to 35mpg and with bikes this dropped to 30mpg!
At motorway Speeds it did 45mpg.With Racks/roof bars only this dropped to 42mpg and with bikes 38mpg!Above 80mph and it dropped below 30mpg.
Considering my mileage of around 9000pa its frightening how much it cost me over the years.I removed the roof racks and haven't used them since (about 7 years).Bike goes in the car or on a Towball mounted carrier which does show little difference in mpg with my current car.
I'm under no illusion that these in-car systems are 100% accurate but they'll not be too far wrong.