What car would suit?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
francovendee

Re: What car would suit?

Post by francovendee »

bikepacker wrote:Due to age 74yo, carrying extra weight, extra effort needed to pitch at the end of a cycling day and worried family when I am away, this will probably be my last cycle camping year. In order to keep my enjoyment of cycling in future I shall tour using B&Bs or do fixed base touring. With the later in mind I have been looking at methods of transporting camping gear and bikes, which would be more convenient than my current car.

My criteria are: First able to put inside two bikes upright with only the front wheel removed. Second an economical low emission petrol engine. One option Citroen Berlingo was shown to me at the York Rally by a fellow cyclist (could be a forum member). He had two bikes upright and clamped into an internal rack.

What I would like are some other options mainly from those using this type of vehicle in a similar way.

I don't own a Berlingo but whilst on holiday earlier this year I saw a chap pit 2 bikes into one with no trouble. It's a bit of a van but a very practical vehicle.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

bikepacker wrote:Due to age 74yo, carrying extra weight, extra effort needed to pitch at the end of a cycling day and worried family when I am away, this will probably be my last cycle camping year. In order to keep my enjoyment of cycling in future I shall tour using B&Bs or do fixed base touring. With the later in mind I have been looking at methods of transporting camping gear and bikes, which would be more convenient than my current car.

My criteria are: First able to put inside two bikes upright with only the front wheel removed. Second an economical low emission petrol engine. One option Citroen Berlingo was shown to me at the York Rally by a fellow cyclist (could be a forum member). He had two bikes upright and clamped into an internal rack.

What I would like are some other options mainly from those using this type of vehicle in a similar way.

Citroen and Peugeot vehicles are part of the same group and most of the mechanical and running gear components are identical. The owner of our local garage says they get far fewer problems with Peugeot than Citroen as they appear to have better build quality. That being the case the Peugeot equivalent to the Berlingo, called the Partner might be a better buy. The JD Power survey puts Citroen at number 13 and Peugeot at number 5 for reliability.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

bikepacker wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Slightly OT...

There is also a useful thing called the "Rail Service"

Planning tours with part milage on a train can make a brilliant way of extending distance or interest without needing a car.

I often use the train and the Bike Express and will continue to do so on some B&B tours. The car would just give me an extra alternative and the option of using a larger tent, Being able to stand inside a tent would help enormously.

Tailgate Tent?

bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

PH wrote:
bikepacker wrote: The car would just give me an extra alternative and the option of using a larger tent, Being able to stand inside a tent would help enormously.

Depending on the budget you were thinking of and the amount of use you think you'll get, have you considered hiring? I hire a Citreon C4 Grande Picasso sometimes, £110 for a weekend and £220 for a week plus a supplement if I want to take it out of the country (Which I haven't) Or if I'm on my own with one bike and don't mind taking the wheels off I can get something for less than half that, or a small van and kip in the back for somewhere in between. One of the nice things about hiring is you get to choose the right vehicle for the use.

Because of the out of the way location were we live it is necessary to have a car so I may as well buy something along the lines I had in mind.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

pete75 wrote:Citroen and Peugeot vehicles are part of the same group and most of the mechanical and running gear components are identical. The owner of our local garage says they get far fewer problems with Peugeot than Citroen as they appear to have better build quality. That being the case the Peugeot equivalent to the Berlingo, called the Partner might be a better buy. The JD Power survey puts Citroen at number 13 and Peugeot at number 5 for reliability.

My daughter and her partner are keen on Peugeots they have 3 but not a Partner, may have a look at those as well.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
PH

Post by PH »

bikepacker wrote:
PH wrote:
bikepacker wrote: The car would just give me an extra alternative and the option of using a larger tent, Being able to stand inside a tent would help enormously.

Depending on the budget you were thinking of and the amount of use you think you'll get, have you considered hiring? I hire a Citreon C4 Grande Picasso sometimes, £110 for a weekend and £220 for a week plus a supplement if I want to take it out of the country (Which I haven't) Or if I'm on my own with one bike and don't mind taking the wheels off I can get something for less than half that, or a small van and kip in the back for somewhere in between. One of the nice things about hiring is you get to choose the right vehicle for the use.

Because of the out of the way location were we live it is necessary to have a car so I may as well buy something along the lines I had in mind.

I get that, but if it were me the ideal car for cycling trips away wouldn't be the ideal car for day to day use, so it might still make sense to own one and hire the other. But that's not to say other peoples requirements would be the same.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

I can get two bikes upright in my Renault Scenic with the seats removed or two lying one on top of the other with some packing - an old quilt - if I just fold the seats down. The extra height makes it far easier to load than my previous car a Skoda Octavia estate which swallowed bikes with the wheels on.

The Renault isn't quite as sturdy as the Skoda but overall it is a better experience,nicer to drive if a little slower, but a lot quieter, smoother and with a much better heater, better air con and a better radio and it was quite a lot cheaper.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

First thing I would do - measure the length of the bike(s) from the furthest forward point (front wheel removed - this may be the fork ends or the front edge of the handlebars/stem), to the furthest rear point (wheel in place if you wish, but to the end of the rear mudguard). Also measure the height at which this longest length occurs. Add 4-6 inches.

Measure the height you will need - at the front to include the fork tips or the end of the front mudguard (whichever is lower when the bike is upright) to the top of the handlebars. Add a few inches again. When putting the bike in the car you might want to drop the saddle to get extra manouvering room, but not the handlebars.

When you select a car, make sure that there is room for the length you have measured to fit between the rear window/tailgate (important if the back of the car is not upright!) and the back of the front seats, allowing for some adjustment of the front seats.

And you now have a starting point!

Here's how my tourer goes into a Rapid Spaceback, both wheels removed, on the passenger side upside down. Can only get one photo onto the board, and my Photbucket is blown, but if you want more let me know and I'll try uploading to my web site and providing links

PS When my children were younger I used to take no 1 sone, his cousin and friends mountain biking - I managed to get hold of a 5' by 3' trailer, and built-in a wooden framework that I could strap 4 bikes to. Would this be an option? Or if you have a trailer tent that has racks on the top? PS I'm 67, have never been up to lifting bikes onto the top of a car, but can still manage to use a bike rack on the rear of the car. Still needs a number plate on a lighting board though!
Attachments
Photo0670.jpg
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
boris

Post by boris »

we bought a fiat multipla two years ago and like it a lot . You have to get a second hand one and there is nothing quite like it, so we intend to keep ours running as long as possible.

It is about the same length as a middle size hatchback and just a couple of inches wider, so easy to drive and park. big windows all round and you sit a bit higher than our passatt so get a good view over the hedges. 130hp 2l diesel , drives just like a normal car, plenty of acceleration. 6 seats , three abreast front and rear; all recliners so everyone is comfortable for a long trip. We remove 2 seats from the back( designed to be quick and leaves a flat floor to the exit, no lip) then roll in two or three bikes standing up and bungee them. 4 would probably need the front wheel off.

I bought it cheap and was expecting repair bills ( it was an old Fiat!), took it to my usual garage and spent 800gbp fixing various things including the rear suspension which was a hard job, new battery , etc.. Since then it has been great, the multitool car, and not a monster.

I cannot understand why they stopped making them. There are millions in italy.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Berlingo/Partner/Kangoo with Amdro Boot Jump camper kit and tailgate tent. http://www.amdro.co.uk/boot-jump-camper ... -p-52.html
Not cheap though for what is basically some plywood etc.
Two road bikes with front wheels removed fit across the middle, see 2:30 into this video https://youtu.be/ESxNPYVVbZc
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

boris wrote:I bought it cheap and was expecting repair bills ( it was an old Fiat!), took it to my usual garage and spent 800gbp fixing various things including the rear suspension which was a hard job, new battery , etc.. Since then it has been great, the multitool car, and not a monster.

I cannot understand why they stopped making them. There are millions in italy.
We had two Fiats between 2002 and 2012, and both were among the most reliable cars I've ever owned. The only thing either ever needed other than basic service & maintenance parts was that the Punto bonnet release cable failed twice. I had a couple friends who had Multiplas and loved them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Another one they should never have discontinued. Yaris Verso. I run a 1.3 which gives me about 45mpg around town and it is fine on the motorway. Chain driven engine so no cambelts to worry about. If I push the passenger seat fully forward I can roll my bike straight in. Good for sleeping in as well. We don't do much mileage and it suits us fine. Toyota reliability. Nice high visibility. Ice cold Air con which is a biggy for me. Lots of head room and storage space. Mine is an ancient 2002, but I don't see a reason to part with it. 126k miles on it and "running like a dream". Mechanics quote.
wildnorthlands

Post by wildnorthlands »

rualexander wrote:Berlingo/Partner/Kangoo with Amdro Boot Jump camper kit and tailgate tent. http://www.amdro.co.uk/boot-jump-camper ... -p-52.html https://youtu.be/ESxNPYVVbZc

+1 on that and I have added a Thule bike carrier to the back (towbar fitting) perfect for cycling weekends for two *and* you can leave the bikes locked onto the bike carrier overnight for added campsite security
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

I can certainly vouch for the utility of the Shitrun Bellendo. I had one for a couple of years and got a pair of bikes in whole and upright no bother with just one of the rear seat bits folded forwards (was about a 2005 model without removable back seats). That particular car might have struggled with a pair of fat tyred 29ers, but it took both our MTBs OK. We hired a more recent Renault clone of the same on holiday not so long ago and it was equally utilitarian, I don't doubt much the same thing is available under a bunch of different badges. Mine was about a 1.5 petrol and whilst utterly gutless was cheap to run.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

rualexander wrote:Berlingo/Partner/Kangoo with Amdro Boot Jump camper kit and tailgate tent. http://www.amdro.co.uk/boot-jump-camper ... -p-52.html
Not cheap though for what is basically some plywood etc.
Two road bikes with front wheels removed fit across the middle, see 2:30 into this video https://youtu.be/ESxNPYVVbZc

Looks expensive when This guy can knock you something suitable up for £450.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPACE-Citroen-Berlingo-Camper-Van-Conversion-Module-/112352020637?hash=item1a28b3c89d:g:p6gAAOSwBLlVWJN9