Attachment Issues....

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrailRat

Attachment Issues....

Post by TrailRat »

Does anyone else have trouble getting rid of bikes?

I have two, one that hasn't been ridden in over 7 years and another that I can't maintain the way I want. But for some reason I'm just having trouble letting go! I want to buy a newer bike, one more suited to my needs and that will be easier to maintain but, :( :'( :-\

Arrghhhh....

Sobs in the corner, rocking gently
Don't Forget To Be Awesome or just DFTBA!

Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
landsurfer

Re: Attachment Issues....

Post by landsurfer »

Jules and i now have 6 bikes.
One of Jules will go to our daughter (the heavy one).
1 will stay with Jules ( the light pedelec one ).

So i now have 4.

1 is a BTwin 500 with a single ring chainset conversion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it ..£100 anyone.
2 is a Btwin 500 SE with a single ring chainset conversion. It is my winter bike..
3 is a TREK 1.1 with a single ring chainset conversion. It's light and comfy, Sportive and daily ride.
4 Is .... not with me yet, SPA Cycles Steel Tourer, ..guess what, with a single ring chainset conversion.
Long days and the WLEJOG, my "Life Bike", ... I hope.

And 3 Grandkids bikes in the garage, or at their house, or at my house.
Last edited by landsurfer on 28 Jul 2017, 10:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
gaz

Post by gaz »

TrailRat wrote:Does anyone else have trouble getting rid of bikes?

The right number of cycles is always n+1.

So n-1 is just wrong. That's why it's always difficult.

That said I do find it easier to part with a frame and some parts (with other parts to spares bin) than a whole bike.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My house spontaneously generates bicycles. I think they must reproduce, or something. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Dawesboi

Post by Dawesboi »

I don't feel so bad now, having just added bike no.4!
But I think I can still rationally make an argument for at least four more- something racy to match the one my wife just bought; a low geared lightweight hybrid for towing (which is what she probably *should* have bought); and a pair of folders to take on our boat.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

3 years ago I sold my old racing bike that had been with me for 36 years (but the last 10 hadn't been ridden) - It was like losing a pet!
wrangler_rover

Post by wrangler_rover »

I have several bikes that I don't ride any more but I have become attached to them.
One is my first mountain bike, purchased in 1994 shortly after I got a job following previously being made redundant, I guess that it has sentimental value to me.
Another is a Dawes hybrid which I built up from a frame that I had been given. The satisfaction gained from building it from the frame up again has made me sentimentally attached to it.
I have 2 bikes that I now ride regularly, a road bike and a fixie. Compared to the road bike, I don't enjoy riding the fixie but I am attached to it because my wife bought it for me as a birthday present a few years ago.
I know that it is silly becoming attached to bikes but it takes all sorts.
PH

Post by PH »

I don't get emotionally attached, but I am financially attached to a couple :oops:
Basically I have three bikes when I only need two, I just can't bare the idea of parting with either for what they'd fetch (About 25% of what they cost) when both are as good as new.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote:My house spontaneously generates bicycles. I think they must reproduce, or something. :lol:

Ah, that's what my wife is referencing when I'm told to get rid of those effing bikes :wink:
drossall

Post by drossall »

I did manage to bring myself to sell on a low-profile that I bought at a bargain second-hand price from a club-mate, just to try the type; I never really got on with it. However, I still have the Aende racing bike I built up as a student nearly 40 years ago, the fixed wheel I used to ride to work in my last job, and so on. Which is probably why currently n = 10.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I have managed to part with two bikes to new owners in 40 years! Another couple died beyond resuscitation and one was stolen. So I now have several frames, six rideable and 3 'tired' bikes in the stable.
I can't ever imagine getting rid of the bike I built as a teen - I spent a lot of money refurbishing it to near original a couple of years ago, its been ridden for maybe 120 miles since and not at all for 2 years!

Silly it might be but a lot of memories are tied up in all the bikes - selling one has always been a last resort when space is at a premium.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!