Does this bike exist?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Gattonero

Re: Does this bike exist?

Post by Gattonero »

maxp779 wrote:...

Cheers. I really don't like that frame design though, it just looks weak. Like the welds would be under significantly more strain than a regular bike frame. Anyways I found the 2015 version of that bike and bought one :D Its got a regular bike frame and not that twin tube design....

Why would you think so?
Do you have a close up picture?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

I hope Genesis have improved the paint finish on their current models. My 2 year old Day One is covered with rust. :(
maxp779

Post by maxp779 »

Gattonero wrote:

Cheers. I really don't like that frame design though, it just looks weak. Like the welds would be under significantly more strain than a regular bike frame. Anyways I found the 2015 version of that bike and bought one :D Its got a regular bike frame and not that twin tube design....

Why would you think so?
Do you have a close up picture?

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/Image ... 5602_2.jpg

You can kinda see it there. I don't think that's a structurally solid design tbh. I mean its probably fine but it would bother me.

Phileas wrote:I hope Genesis have improved the paint finish on their current models. My 2 year old Day One is covered with rust. :(

Damn. The model I got is from 2015 :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Phileas wrote:I hope Genesis have improved the paint finish on their current models. My 2 year old Day One is covered with rust. :(

I have a 2015 Genesis Longitude and the paint finish is excellent,with no rust showing at all :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

You can kinda see it there. I don't think that's a structurally solid design tbh. I mean its probably fine but it would bother me.

So you think that a manufacturer makes a bike prone to break on purpose, or do you have some structural analysis on hand? :roll:

If you don't like "how it looks" is one thing, and is perfectly fine.
But I'm not sure you can judge the strength of a structure from a picture. It is not a close-up of the area, so it's not easy to judge anything from there. I'd be careful before putting a word on it.

As far as the concept per se, to use twin top-tubes in some circumstances, is not a bad idea at all. It was widely used on "mixte" frames:

Also in other frame designs, of which the Pashely Paramount is one of them. And I'm sure the guys at Pashley know a thing or two about building a bicycle :wink:
maxp779

Post by maxp779 »

Gattonero wrote:

So you think that a manufacturer makes a bike prone to break on purpose, or do you have some structural analysis on hand? :roll:

If you don't like "how it looks" is one thing, and is perfectly fine.
But I'm not sure you can judge the strength of a structure from a picture. It is not a close-up of the area, so it's not easy to judge anything from there. I'd be careful before putting a word on it.

As far as the concept per se, to use twin top-tubes in some circumstances, is not a bad idea at all. It was widely used on "mixte" frames:

Also in other frame designs, of which the Pashely Paramount is one of them. And I'm sure the guys at Pashley know a thing or two about building a bicycle :wink:

From my understanding the part of a frame that will break first will be the welds. So it makes sense to put them under as little strain as possible.
With that design the welds will be under far more shearing force than a standard frame where they are only under compression force.

Yeah theres no way for me to accurately tell from a picture, but a picture is all i've got to go on so I will make my own assumptions based on it. Given two frames of relatively equal weight and made of 4130, one frame is like that smithfield and the other is a regular frame, the regular frame will be stronger. At least that's what I think.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

FYI, unless there is an error of manufacturing (which is a red herring in this case, as we're talking of the design) is unlikely the weld will fail before the tubing.
Abrupt failure of a weld can only happen if this has not been correctly done.

Genesis bikes are built by contractors which churn out tens of thousands of frames per year, so there is not the minute attention to the aesthetic details but surely the welds are done correctly: imagine how many tens of thousands of bikes that brand sells, and yet you don't hear of "broken welds".

No manufacturer wants to take any risk by using a design that is bound to fail.