UK Trains - Online bike reservations

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: UK Trains - Online bike reservations

Post by mjr »

simonwoodward66 wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge or advice about the current situation with advance fares?

I'm planning to do Jogle with a friend in June but the current situation with advance fares is causing me serious concerns. I can book tickets from Brum to Glasgow with bike reservations but can't book bike reservations beyond Glasgow till the 5th May.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my MotoG3 using hovercraft full of eels.

I hate tapatalk so I won't write more but in short, they're only bookable six weeks ahead on some lines this summer as the railways have cocked it up again like in 2005 http://railnews.mobi/news/2018/02/23-pa ... table.html
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonwoodward66

Post by simonwoodward66 »

mjr wrote:
simonwoodward66 wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge or advice about the current situation with advance fares?

I'm planning to do Jogle with a friend in June but the current situation with advance fares is causing me serious concerns. I can book tickets from Brum to Glasgow with bike reservations but can't book bike reservations beyond Glasgow till the 5th May.

I hate tapatalk so I won't write more but in short, they're only bookable six weeks ahead on some lines this summer as the railways have cocked it up again like in 2005 http://railnews.mobi/news/2018/02/23-pa ... table.html
Thanks, I'm aware of the problem. I'm just no sure of the solution if like me your journey involves more than one train line.

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I on-line booked my 25th June train Taunton to Gunnislake the other day, and picked my tickets up from Plymouth station yesterday via their Advanced Ticket machine.

I'm now in posession of a one way ticket, a seat reservation, and two tickets referring to the bike.
One is for me to hold, the other is labelled .............. "ATTACH TO CYCLE".

How are they attached?
I imagine putting it in a plastic folder and sticking/tying the folder to the bike.

Is that what they mean?
What do other folk do?
Mick F. Cornwall
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Zip tie to handlebars.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Make a hole in it?
As far as I'm aware, you shouldn't "tamper" with train tickets.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Have you got a window seat with a table and plug socket though Mick F?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:How are they attached?

Sure you can be left in charge of a bike?

er, put a hole in it (no special Park Tools needed) - small bit of nylon cord through hole. Put over bar ends.

Then relax.
Sweep
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Mick F wrote:I on-line booked my 25th June train Taunton to Gunnislake the other day, and picked my tickets up from Plymouth station yesterday via their Advanced Ticket machine.

I'm now in posession of a one way ticket, a seat reservation, and two tickets referring to the bike.

How are they attached?
I imagine putting it in a plastic folder and sticking/tying the folder to the bike.

Is that what they mean?
What do other folk do?
Tuck it between bottle and bottle cage, or into the velcro strap holding the frame pump on.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Coach A seat 20.
I asked for a table, facing forwards, at the window. They gave me A.
GWR service London to Penzance leaving Taunton at 19:51

From what I've seen, the bike stowage is in Coach A but you can't get to it when the train is in motion as the only way in (for the public) is from the platform.

Coach A can be at the front or the rear depending on how the train is marshalled, but the 1st Class is at the far end in Coach L.
London/Penzance service shuttles between the two ends of the journey, so the train is one way round going to Penzance and just reverses back out.

As for the ticket, it's no big deal, but looking at them this morning sort of had me scratching my head. I like the idea of tucking it in. I fancy the cables where they go into the 'bar tape.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:How are they attached?

Is that what they mean?
What do other folk do?

I usually tuck the end of mine under the side of one of the brake hood rubbers.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Mick F wrote:I on-line booked my 25th June train Taunton to Gunnislake the other day, and picked my tickets up from Plymouth station yesterday via their Advanced Ticket machine.

How are they attached?

Is that what they mean?
What do other folk do?

I punch a hole with a pencil or somesuch at the top right corner of the ticket and slot an elastic band through and inside itself to fasten it and create a loop, then simply pop over brake lever/STI.
Today I was on one of the rubbish Virigin East coast trains that you hang your bike by the front wheel on a hook, that was at the end of coach A, generally it's coach M or P, so I'd booked the seat for coach G as this is the last std class coach. So this time I had to obstacle course my through 5 packed coaches of plebs with feet hangig out, sitting off their seat in the islee and so on :x .At least coming through 1st class the isle is much wider .Sadly train cancelled due to a suicide but got the one after.
It might be cheaper but by god it's so much easier by car!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have/made a plastic envelope that I put a shoe lace thru then attach that to the seat pin near the saddle, with the tixket in it. I keep that when unused in a pocket in my panniers
ebor62

Post by ebor62 »

A word of warning Mick. Once after cycling to Kings Cross, to catch a train to Leeds, I arrived at the station in plenty of time but the train was very late arriving. When finally allowed to board it was like a Rugby scrum and I was putting my bike in the cycle space and removing my bar bag. You could not access the carriages from the cycle van. As soon as I stepped down onto the platform to get to the passenger door, the doors shut and locked automatically and despite my frantic waving the train pulled out with my bike on board. They had done a quick turn around to make up time. It was an advance ticket but was allowed on the next train. I was assured we would be at Leeds in time to recover my bike before the train returned to London' However we got delayed on the way North and it became obvious we would not make it. They offered to leave my bike at Leeds but as I had put a lock on, this wouldn.t work. In the end I got off at Wakefield and waited for the original train on its return journey to London. Nipped on whilst it stopped and recovered my bike. Then continued journey by bike as it seemed safer. Ps I normally cable tie ticket to stem extension.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I've never travelled with a bike on this type of train. It seems a crazy procedure and facility. Is there the same problem for non folding pushchairs for example? They take up large amounts of space! Perhaps something worth campaigning about?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ebor62 wrote:A word of warning Mick ..............................
That is one hell of a horror story! :shock:
My worst nightmare!
Mick F. Cornwall