I'm worried the bike I bought is stolen...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
GM89

Re: I'm worried the bike I bought is stolen...

Post by GM89 »

simonhill wrote:Also, was it a super bargain?

Price and bike model would help colour the picture a bit.

£200 for a whyte whitechapel. not sure exact model but they seem to go for £500 new.
GM89

Post by GM89 »

thirdcrank wrote:but something on a scrap of paper signed "T' Leaf" is probably not worth .... and you know the rest.

this was my thinking. Anyone could write a receipt. Maybe you should ask to see there driving licence or something??

I haven't heard back from the guy yet about an emailed receipt..
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

I would say that you gave a reasonably fair price for the bike especially if the seller wanted a quick sale. Also for my own security I would not invite complete strangers to my home. I appreciate that bikes are easy targets for theft but the second hand marked would be virtually none existent if we did not have some trust.
I have bought three use bikes and one used frame on eBay, together with numerous other cycle related items, and none cycle items. Do we not buy if there is no receipt offered of the original purchase by the vendor, it's a tricky one.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If we genuinely want to (partially) stamp out theft then some sort of proof of purchase should be sought. Alternatively some sort of provenance to prove the seller is the legitimate owner. Even what bike shop, how long had, brief history, etc can build up a pretty good picture.

If we don't, then...........
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

GM89 wrote: I assumed I was going to their house as they gave me an address but he actually met me on the corner.
How did that happen?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
GM89

Post by GM89 »

MikeF wrote:
How did that happen?[/quote]

He text me and said he was waiting on the corner as I was walking there from the station.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

When I sold my old racer 3 yrs ago (36 years old), the buyer came to my address and also asked if he could take a photo of me with it. I didn't realise at the time he may have done this for proof in case it was stolen, rather than for historic record as he stated. No problem, and top marks to him for taking the precaution. Similarly when I bought a car a few years ago, vendor said (over 'phone) it was his late father's - I said I'd be wanting proof of ID if I purchased - no prob said he, and when I bought it he produced his driving licence and Police ID!
hondated

Post by hondated »

To add to all the great advice you have already been given I would add that if its not original paint work and hand painted be very careful.
Without a doubt if the fella is genuine he would take no offence at you returning and knocking on his door if you explain the unwarranted fears you have.
GM89

Post by GM89 »

Update: I ended up calling him to follow up on my text about getting a receipt of purchase. He didn't pick up but a couple of minutes later he called back. He had no issues emailing me an invoice for the bike with frame number on it.

If he was pushing stolen bikes I would think he wouldn't ever be contactable again. I will continue to monitor stolen bikes websites in the meantime.

If anyone thinks this does not suffice, please do say. I want to thank everyone on this thread for all the advice.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

fastpedaller wrote:Similarly when I bought a car a few years ago, vendor said (over 'phone) it was his late father's - I said I'd be wanting proof of ID if I purchased - no prob said he, and when I bought it he produced his driving licence and Police ID!

Local bike shop that sells new and used bikes once got offered a nice bike by a guy. He turned him away because he didn't have id on him, seems the police inspector uniform wasn't enough!

He told the copper that he needs a recognised id because he often got visits from local police and copies of the seller's id help prevent problems. The copper came back with his drivers license later that day.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Look on bike shepherd too. IIRC from when my bike.got stolen there is about 3 websites to record your theft on. Bike shepherd was one if the best and is supposedly monitored by the police / used to reunite recovered bikes with their owner.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

From a sellers point of view I would try to avoid a sale from home if I felt that it might give hints of other things to steal to an unknown person. Just saying.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

From a buying point of view, it's often worth asking a couple of straightforward questions that an owner of the bike would know, but a casual thief wouldn't. "Is it Campag or Shimano?" If he has to look at the bike to answer the question, ask yourself why.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

mercalia wrote:I dont understand why you didnt get a receipt when you handed over the money .... esp in London ...

Not quite sure how a receipt from a thief is any help.

And if it's totally above board then what are you going to do with the receipt?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

profpointy wrote:
And if it's totally above board then what are you going to do with the receipt?

Well... If the Police think you've stolen it, at least you have some 'proof'