information regarding my bike? mercian

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lyncho1983

Re: information regarding my bike? mercian

Post by lyncho1983 »

I can't actually tell if it's a 3 or a 5 on the frame.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

You would definitely be better off removing the front forks, the number will be far easier to see there.
I appreciate you may not have the tools or skill required to do this, perhaps you have a friend who could help?
Beauty will save the world.
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

I've had them off mate but couldn't see anything.
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

Managed to find a row of numbers on the rear hang
The majority of the have worn away but looks like 5*382 the star being a number I can't work out
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

lyncho1983 wrote:Just uncovered another number 1 in front of the 30

.................keep looking :D :D

If you're not in a position to 'do up' the frame as it deserves, keep it dry and safe. One day you may return to it. If you pass it on, make sure it's to a good home that knows enough to appreciate it. Have you been in touch with 'Byegone Bikes'?
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

No mate not been in touch with them.

Haha I've been looking everywhere. I've find a row of 5 numbers on the rear hanger and from what I can make out it's 5**82 it looks like the third number could be a 3 but I can't be certain
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

Okay I'm pretty sure the number is 58382
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

JohnW wrote:
9494arnold wrote:
If you finally confirm that the frame is a Mercian (and it's certainly a quality frame, judging by the lugs) then is may be worth getting a full refurb and re-spray done at Mercian. It deserves it.

So the word of my friend from 50 years of working at Mercian does not convince you??? :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

eileithyia wrote:
JohnW wrote:
9494arnold wrote:
If you finally confirm that the frame is a Mercian (and it's certainly a quality frame, judging by the lugs) then is may be worth getting a full refurb and re-spray done at Mercian. It deserves it.

So the word of my friend from 50 years of working at Mercian does not convince you??? :lol:

I'm a bit confused over this eileithyia. The quotes you've quoted are a bit mixed up :? . The quote you've ascribed to Arnold was actually from me - the quote was not what Arnold had written :? . I assume that the question is aimed at me, and I don't know how or where I've said anything to contradict or question anything you've attributed to your Mercian friend :? .

Unless of course your offering a joke, in which case, at this time of night, my sense of humour isn't up to it :wink: ................and I need a cup of tea :D :D

50 years with Mercian - can you persuade him to write his memoirs?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

lyncho1983 wrote:Okay I'm pretty sure the number is 58382
I reckon it's therefore made in 1982 with a frame number 583.

Mine is 63386
Mick F. Cornwall
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

Thanks Mick, I was thinking the same.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

JohnW wrote:
eileithyia wrote:
JohnW wrote:

I'm a bit confused over this eileithyia. The quotes you've quoted are a bit mixed up :? . The quote you've ascribed to Arnold was actually from me - the quote was not what Arnold had written :? . I assume that the question is aimed at me, and I don't know how or where I've said anything to contradict or question anything you've attributed to your Mercian friend :? .

Unless of course your offering a joke, in which case, at this time of night, my sense of humour isn't up to it :wink: ................and I need a cup of tea :D :D

50 years with Mercian - can you persuade him to write his memoirs?

Sorry I too got a bit confused with the amount of quote marks at the beginning of the quotes. It was just that someone had implied IF IT IS a Mercian.... it seemed that the word of my friend, after seeing the photos, was not sufficient for them.

Not sure about the memoirs think he is too busy enjoying retirement and other aspects of cycling and organising events..... :lol: And being questioned by people like me, to see if a bike is a Mercian or not :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

eileithyia wrote:......................Sorry I too got a bit confused with the amount of quote marks at the beginning of the quotes. It was just that someone had implied IF IT IS a Mercian.... it seemed that the word of my friend, after seeing the photos, was not sufficient for them.

Not sure about the memoirs think he is too busy enjoying retirement and other aspects of cycling and organising events..... :lol: And being questioned by people like me, to see if a bike is a Mercian or not :lol:

Yes - I understand - someone else had cast doubts on whether it's a Mercian or not, and my use of the word "if" is a back reference to that, not an expression of my own doubts. Why should I have doubts personally, not having seen the frame. I think the doubt came from the OP, who thought that the BB may have been (heavily?) repainted and that was why the frame number wasn't too easy to read. Anyway, he's found it now. To me, a Mercian is to be cherished and respected..............and ask MickF about that! :D :D :D :D
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

il tell you something it was a mission trying to find that frame number!!

so from my understanding now after finding the number and from information kindly shared on here its looks as though its a 1982 king of mercia frame with nervex lugs and a mixture of old part and lets say less old parts. checked the wheels last night and they are indeed weinmann(rims at least) 27inch, the brake levers are old GB's(assuming the calipers are the same) the rear derailer is suntour, crank arms are silstar. cant remember what the front derailer is and not sure about the handle bars.

Thanks
darren
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

I'm another Mercian fan (I have 3 at the moment), and I'm in the; clean it up and either use it or find someone who will use it camp. It deserves to be ridden and enjoyed rather than to sit slowly decaying, make that bicycle happy again! :D

Refurbs can be worth it, but only if the bike really needs it (or you just fancy a change!) and you intend to keep it, if you're planning to sell then you'll never recoup the cost of a decent refurb with Mercian, or anyone else for that matter!

Value wise is a bit hit and miss, a King Of Mercia model is more likely to get a good price than some of the other models, but it can be very spec and condition dependant. 80s (and some 90s) bikes can sometimes be a bit of an annoyance if they were built for 27inch wheels though, parts are available but choice is more limited, and they don't always convert as easily to 700C as you might like, yours already looks to have quite large clearance/brake drop with the 27s so going to 700C might be a challenge and could limit it's second hand appeal to some.

As an example, the most recent KOM I bought (this year) is about 8 years younger than yours, has spearpoint heart cutout lugs instead of Nervex (not quite as nice as your lugs but still nice), had a more modern components in very good condition, a posher paintjob (contrast panels etc.) and was already clean ;-) I paid £250 for it complete, which was a bargain, normally I would expect to pay £300-£400 for such a bike, and have done so in the past for other similar models.

There are some examples on eBay with much higher asking prices, but they normally fall into one of 3 categories:

1 - Something special in terms of history/very rare old model.
2 - Much newer and or built with posh components (of any age)
3 - Overly optimistic asking price and don't actually sell

Most of the run of the mill, sensibly spec'd bikes of sensible age sell for between £200 and £400, very much depending on condition, colour, and size. Occasional bargains below that can be had, and sometimes a particular colour or spec can push the price above.

Yours is nice, has nice lugs, and is a nice colour (if somewhat basic paintjob) and if cleaned up should sell easily, but not for a huge amount as it's not got any particularly posh or sought after bits on it, the frame is that star on yours though and would make the basis of an excellent bike either ridden as is or upgraded according to owners tastes and requirements :-)