information regarding my bike? mercian

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eileithyia

Re: information regarding my bike? mercian

Post by eileithyia »

Frame number is on the bottom bracket... if you want definite confirmation then you may have to strip it back, for the proof. Otherwise it will be stamped into the rear dropouts. Friend says it is a very saleable item... as Eroica riders love these type of machines... so it is worth you while hunting out that frame number to confirm it's authenticity and age. Could affect what you can get for it as well.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

Thanks again for this mate. Assuming it is real does your friend have my idea on the value? I wouldn't want to under of over price it.

Think I'm going to spend a bit of time cleaning it up.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have asked for you, but guess it is worth what someone would will pay...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

That is very true mate. Thanks again
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gaz wrote:I can't speak for Mercian but some frame builders also put a frame number on the steerer tube. It would require partial disassembly to see this, best done with the right tools.
Yes, mine has the number on the steerer. No paint on it.

You need to remove the quill stem and undo the headset of course to lower the forks out. It's better than stripping any paint off the BB.
Mick F. Cornwall
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

Il have a look today thanks. Is it on the top or bottom if the tube.
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

from looking at the front lugs, cross referencing against one of the brochures on the website and from what a member said earlier they seem to be the nervex lugs as seen in the 1970's brochure.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

lyncho1983 wrote:Il have a look today thanks. Is it on the top or bottom if the tube.
Mine's about half way down.
Mick F. Cornwall
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

thanks mick, il check this evening.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I think the Lugs are Nervex Professional which are pretty "High End" . I agree re Brake Levers, brakes themselves look to be Weinman from the 1970's (ish) and Stem is later than 1950's too so a lot of the equipment is later than the 1950's if the frame dates from then, quite likely been upgraded / replacesas it wore out. Chainset/Saddle certainly not 1950's , I'd like a better view of the rims whioch look to be Weinman Dimple and hubs look like mid range 1970's jobs I think. Mercians are nicely made frames it'll be a Custom Build and not off the shelf (I believe). mercian still about so try them.
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

thanks for you input mate, when I get home tonight il take some pictures of the rims and put them up on here so you can have a better look.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

9494arnold wrote:I think the Lugs are Nervex Professional which are pretty "High End" . I agree re Brake Levers, brakes themselves look to be Weinman from the 1970's (ish) and Stem is later than 1950's too so a lot of the equipment is later than the 1950's if the frame dates from then, quite likely been upgraded / replacesas it wore out. Chainset/Saddle certainly not 1950's , I'd like a better view of the rims whioch look to be Weinman Dimple and hubs look like mid range 1970's jobs I think. Mercians are nicely made frames it'll be a Custom Build and not off the shelf (I believe). mercian still about so try them.

I agree about the lugs and the brakes - Weinmann 730s? - and the levers look like GBs to me, but not a pattern that I ever had.

If you finally confirm that the frame is a Mercian (and it's certainly a quality frame, judging by the lugs) then is may be worth getting a full refurb and re-spray done at Mercian. It deserves it.

It's not surprising that the parts are a mixture - my Mercian frame from 2005 was bought as a frame and I built the bike around it. There's a real variety of parts from 1980s Simplex gear levers to Velo-orange seat-pin newer than the frame. When we build our bikes, we choose what's best for ourselves.
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

thanks for your input john.

like you say whatever make it is(I would like to think its Mercian as In my eyes it would be pointless for someone to sticker it up as a Mercian instead of something else as either way it is a good quality frame) it would be worth getting refurbished or even just a bit of tlc as everything seems to work on it. its not in perfect condition but I think after a wash and service it would be a great bike.

but for me personally getting it fully refurbished isn't something I would look to do as I don't have the money or time to do it if im perfectly honest. ive just had a little one and im currently working towards obtaining my motorbike license so whatever little funds I may have are taken up elsewhere.

I have to say the more ive looked into the bike the more intriguing it becomes. im going to spend a little bit of time and effort on cleaning it up and giving it a bit of a service to ensure everything is working as it should.

Thanks
Darren
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

Okay so I've had to take a bit of paint off the bottom of the frame and all I can see is what looks like a 30 10 and a random 1
lyncho1983

Post by lyncho1983 »

Just uncovered another number 1 in front of the 30