New to cycling, what do I need?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
maxp779

New to cycling, what do I need?

Post by maxp779 »

Ill be commuting to work in Glasgow. Its a 26 mile round trip, I can cut it to 18 when im more confident on the roads but for now its the safe route.

I have a bike (genesis smithfield 2015) :D It comes with a pannier rack and mudguards. So I guess ill need a bag for that rack... What else?

Repair tools? Lock? Pump? Helmet? Bag to cover it while its parked outside work? I'm new to this so suggestions are welcome.
thirdcrank

Re: New to cycling, what do I need?

Post by thirdcrank »

If you intend doing this in all weathers you need some decent togs. Opinions vary about what's suitable but in cold, wet weather, you'll be miserable if you aren't well wrapped up on a ride of this length which might typically take an hour each way.

Another thing is time. In addition to riding time, you need to allow time for getting ready for riding and then for work when you get there. Also, allow time for sorting out anything wrong with the bike immediately when you get home, so you are ready for the off on the next working day.

Thirteen miles each way is quite a ride if you do it every day.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Bag to carry your stuff in, size of bag will be determined by volume of stuff. Stuff may include everything listed below plus rain jacket, gloves, etc, change of clothes for working in, wet wipes (for cleaning hands after a puncture), sandwiches, anything you need to do your work.

Lights, if planning to commute after dark.

Lock(s).

Puncture repair kit, spare tube, tyre levers and pump(preferably one that fits in the bag so that you don't leave it on the bike by mistake). If you don't know how to fix a puncture already learn how before you need to use your skills at the road side.

Plastic bag to cover the saddle in the event of rain.

Maintenance is always best done at home, carry some form of multi-tool to deal with minor adjustments in an emergency.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Bike :lol:
Fit legs, body and mind.
mudugards, wet weather gear, means to carry kit / spare clothes / lunch etc.,
Tools, inner tubes, puncture repair kit, lights, lock

Remember you will be adding approx 60-75 mins to your journey so 120- 150 mins to your work day. So if you are not used to the cycle it can be quite tiring and you may want to start by doing tues / thurs initially, then mon, weds, fri, in order to build up your mileage and fitness.

Don't forget to add in some time for changing and possibly dealing with a flat on your way in.... I used to allow 15 mins for changing and being at my work station in time to start, which could disappear rapidly if I had a flat.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
honesty

Post by honesty »

Water bottle.
Zoidsberg

Post by Zoidsberg »

Essential tool kit. you might want to make adjustments on the road. Allen keys, screwdriver etc.
Spare inner tube. Tyre levers.
Small penknife.
Cloth and hand washing stuff in case you get oily hands?

maybe not one of these
maybe not one of these
:idea: :idea:
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Food. Don't forget to adjust your diet accordingly. Food.

More food.

Add food to that list.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If you haven't already then learn how to remove and replace the back wheel.
The website shows the bike has a geared hub and could be a bit awkward the first time. Wheel will need removing to replace an inner tube and appropriate tools (spanner?) are required.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Size/type of bag depends on what you'll be carrying. I have a shower and a locker at work, so I leave a towel, wash bag, shoes, trousers, and an outdoor coat, at work. I also leave my bike lock at work. So I only need to take in underwear, a clean shirt and my lunch. This all fits in a rack top bag. If you need to carry more then you probably need a pair of panniers.

You need lights in winter. I also have a Garmin/ bike computer to record my ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

cycleruk wrote:If you haven't already then learn how to remove and replace the back wheel.
The website shows the bike has a geared hub and could be a bit awkward the first time. Wheel will need removing to replace an inner tube and appropriate tools (spanner?) are required.

I didn't look at the gears but this is crucial advice. Hub gears will be ideal for commuting as they are protected from the weather and muck more generally, but they don't necessarily facilitate removal and replacement and a wet roadside when you are late for work isn't the place to start learning.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Thats a fairly serious bike you've bought.
Genesis Smithfield 2015.
How did you arrive at that decision without knowing what other stuff to use ?
Just curious .....
But good decision .... top class kit.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

maxp779 wrote:... while its parked outside work? ..
How safe might it be parked there?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
maxp779

Post by maxp779 »

landsurfer wrote:Thats a fairly serious bike you've bought.
Genesis Smithfield 2015.
How did you arrive at that decision without knowing what other stuff to use ?
Just curious .....
But good decision .... top class kit.

Lots of googling and agonising over small details. I reached the conclusion I wanted:

- A steel frame. Due to it having a fatigue limit where aluminium does not, steel will never break if kept under that limit, aluminium will break eventually regardless. It might take 50-100 years to break but hey ho the "steel is real" crowd sold me on it :lol: Also I like the idea of it being a smoother ride. In practice im not sure it'll matter. I plan to keep my bike inside to avoid rust, and maybe cover it while its outside work because it rains a lot here.
- Internal gear hub. Because its relatively low maintenance and should fare better though Scottish winters than a derailleur. There will be slush and grit on the roads quite a lot.
- Flat bar. Its just familiar, I had one when I was a teenager and I don't fancy the hunched over position a drop bar pretty much locks me into. Interestingly enough I see a lot of cyclists on the roads with drop bars riding in an upright position i.e not using the drop bar at all really. The vast majority of bikes I saw for sale (even hybrids) seem to be drop bar though.
- < £1000, ideally 500-700.

There are only a few bikes that meet all those criteria. Kona paddywagon 3 was another one. It had rim brakes though and im not completely sold on the downtube shifter. Although the 3 speed sturmey archer seems to have a very reliable reputation. I was almost set on a marin muirwoods 2018 but the derallieur vs internal hub pushed me towards the smithfield. I don't know how to fix a derailleur, if the muirwoods had an igh I would've jumped on it since its cheaper and looks pretty cool. Even a 3 speed one would've been fine.

MikeF wrote:
maxp779 wrote:... while its parked outside work? ..
How safe might it be parked there?

Eh reasonably safe... someone did have their bike stolen a few years ago when they attached it to some wooden fencing. The thief just lifted one of the wooden panels off the fence and took the bike :shock:

Im going to get that kryptonite new york mini lock thats 18mm thick. There are metal bicycle racks now so it should be relatively safe locked onto that.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Since bike parking and security has almost inevitably been raised, I'll trot out one of my hobby horses. Ignore this if you are already familiar with this workplace.

Most premises of any size have a caretaker/ security person/ receptionist/ commissionaire/ whatever. These people - for people they are - are potentially your best friends or worst enemies. They decide which rules will be enforced and may make up plenty of their own.

Without being patronising, treat them as people rather than part of the fabric of the building. They often have the keys to places like nice warm boiler rooms where your bike will be safe and you can dry wet togs so you can set off home nice and comfy, even if you are PWT again half a mile down the road.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

Here's my packing list for commuting by bike.

In addition there's a list of items not fitted to most new bikes that make utility cycling much easier.

A bright front light makes cycling after dark a pleasure rather than a chore.

I cycled carrying a rucksack until I discovered pannier bags, which made the experience more comfortable. Panniers from a reputable maker cost more but last much longer.