Zip-off trousers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nirakaro

Zip-off trousers

Post by nirakaro »

I had a pair with two zips on each leg, so they worked in three ways: shorts, when it's hot, mid-calf, ideal for cycling, or full length, when it gets chilly or I want to look a bit more respectable. I wore them out and haven't been able to find a replacement. Any suggestions?
thirdcrank

Re: Zip-off trousers

Post by thirdcrank »

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ayacucho ... &gclsrc=ds

That's some I found while waiting for something else. At least it suggests they are still available. Also, North Face now have the Meridian style which is zip-off and then there's a tab half-way up the calf to retain the bottom bit when it's rolled up. (I've only looked at men's.)
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I have a pair of North Face which I bought from Cotswold Outdoor, excellent trousers and I saw them again in the sale a few weeks ago.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have some Craghoppers from TK Maxx that I like.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

you can get karrimor aspen ones for £20 on sports direct,only touble is its sports direct :)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

thornie1543 wrote:you can get karrimor aspen ones for £20 on sports direct,only touble is its sports direct :)

I have 3 pairs myself. Very light and quick drying.
I bought mine from Sports Direct via Amazon. About 19 quid a pair.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you are cycling in them, check that there is material backing the zip.In other words, they are lined between the zip and your skin, or at least won't chafe. I had a pair of zip-off trousers once that chafed because the zip was in contact with my skin. They were fine walking and working, but chafed cycling.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm feeling a bit silly because, having thought that the double zip off idea seemed familiar, I've found an unworn pair of Craghoppers I received as a gift several years ago. They are a darkish beigey sort of a colour and some sort of polycotton (ie not stretchy.) It's a bit of a long shot but if they fit they are yours. (Let me know your size.) The good news is that they are easily accessed in a wardrobe, not lost in the garage. :oops:
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Decathlon
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

thirdcrank wrote:I'm feeling a bit silly because, having thought that the double zip off idea seemed familiar, I've found an unworn pair of Craghoppers I received as a gift several years ago. They are a darkish beigey sort of a colour and some sort of polycotton (ie not stretchy.) It's a bit of a long shot but if they fit they are yours. (Let me know your size.) The good news is that they are easily accessed in a wardrobe, not lost in the garage. :oops:

That's extremely kind of you, TC. I'm a 32 waist, on a good day, sometimes a 34 if they're cut on the tight side. You're somewhere in Leeds, IIRC? And so am I.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Probably too big then. 36W which would once have drowned me, but not anymore. :oops:

I had worked out you must be somewhere around here.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Ah well... I'll see if I can pile on enough pounds, and then get back to you. :lol: