Canyon vs Cannondale

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
olivergdavis

Canyon vs Cannondale

Post by olivergdavis »

Hi there,

I've recently sold my Cannondale CAAD 12 105, as was finding it a little too uncomfortable on the longer rides.

There's two bikes I'm now looking at, can you please help advise which is the better option?

Option 1 (I can get this for £2500):

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Syn ... gJESvD_BwE

Option 2:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endur ... c-9-0.html

Your advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ollie
iandriver

Re: Canyon vs Cannondale

Post by iandriver »

A bit of an impossible question to answer. In what way were you uncomfortable? Hands? Saddle? Knee pain? Bars too low? We are so different in terms of flexibility, height and weight, it would be nigh on impossible to give you a sensible answer. It's tough to say anything but you need to test ride them and see which one fits you best and to get a good fitting. Your old bike was a nice bike. I wouldn't expect miracles from a new machine purchased without trying it out off the interweb.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Bez

Post by Bez »

As above, the question is one of how you were uncomfortable previously.

IME comfort on most roads is 95% fit and 5% kit and I wouldn't expect either of those two options to offer a worthwhile improvement over what you had (I used a CAAD for long distances and found it comfortable, but it took me a fair while to fine tune my fit). By far the most influential piece of kit in terms of comfort difference is tyres, so it might be worth looking for things with plenty of clearance.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Do you have a bike that is comfortable ?
If not, finding a good bike fitter might save you buying
another bike that is uncomfortable.

Great suit, lousy tailoring and all that.

ps. listen to Bez.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Impossible to say as others have said. Tho in my experience, the smaller the frame (realistically) the more comfortable is my opinion. Don't see many 6ft + pro,s riding large frame bikes.

I,d opt for the Canyon, if only for the BB.
Bez

Post by Bez »

You don't see many pros shopping for Synapses either… Pros have one job: go faster than everyone else. They train to ride in a racing position with a low tuck. The rest of us have day jobs and different physiques ;)
Debs

Post by Debs »

Back in the early noughties i rode a CAAD 4 Cannondale which was lovey light and fast, plus great hill climber, but after an hour of riding it was a good bike to get off being the bone-shaker it was :P
I dunno how far more advanced CAAD12 is but i have some empathy for someone saying they'd like a more comfy bike on longer rides.

A couple of years ago i purchased a Synapse but found it un-comfy due to possible slightly too big a frame size, handlebars just a bit too wide, cranks just a big too long. I'm sure it would have been a really okay bike for me had it fitted right, so i agree with above mentions of importance of frame size and set up.
The only niggle i can see with the Synapse model is they're not an easy bike to fit mudguards to if you every want to - something to bare in mind.

My understanding of Canyon bikes is they're very nice but can only be purchased on-line direct from Germany...?
So there's a need to know the exact frame size when ordering.
I wouldn't like to buy a new bike like that.

Have you tried shopping locally for a new bike where you can get a proper bike-fit?
I recently got a very good bike-fit, set-up & deal in my local Trek Concept Shop.
Just a consideration but the Trek Domane has hidden mudguard eye drillings, plus Iso-speed that helps smooth out the ride.

Debs