Calling all Trangia fans!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RickH

Re: Calling all Trangia fans!

Post by RickH »

I have a 27 & found the kettle just the right size to feed my coffee maker for a mug of fresh coffee! :D

I've always kept the burner in the kettle, usually filled & often stored for months at a time, in turn stored inside the pans. Never had any problems with contamination but the burner is double bagged. One bag sealed round the burner & a second with that bag plus matches but just twisted closed. The top above the twist goes between the kettle & lid & then fold over under the handle laid on top. The layers of plastic bag stop any rattling when it is all packed away.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Part of the problem is that the burners are made in two parts, that is, the top and bottom of the burner vessel are just crimped/rolled together. Due to heating and cooling this joint can start to leak. This can be cured by running a bead of solder around the crimped/rolled edges ensuring that the it remains totally leak free as long as the screw cap and O ring is in good condition. This is a well known fix for the problem.
I've stored my burner in the kettle in a single bag without problem for years since soldering the joint.
Dawesboi

Post by Dawesboi »

I always found that the handle didn't quite stow as neatly as I wanted, so I used a file to open up one of the holes into a slot. It now fits over one of the folding pan holders and the whole thing packs down that bit neater as a result.
boris

Post by boris »

Isopropanol burns cleanly with no taste , but I never tried it in a trangia and when you run out on tour you will probably have to get meths again.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

PhilD28 wrote:This can be cured by running a bead of solder around the crimped/rolled edges ensuring that the it remains totally leak free as long as the screw cap and O ring is in good condition.
Good Tip! - thnx :-) Although many is the Trange owner who pops the screw-cap on a hot / lit burner, forgetting it differs from the simmer-ring in that it has a rubber O ring... I certainly number amongst them :shock:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Trangia 27, kettle inside pot, burner (empty and in its original plastic bag) inside kettle, pan grip on top, multidisc on top of that and finally the frypan as a lid,