Anybody use a Lezyne GPS cycle computer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
steady eddy

Anybody use a Lezyne GPS cycle computer

Post by steady eddy »

The thread on Garmins frightens me as a bit of a technophobe as do the Garmin prices, but I want something more than the Cateye Strada I have been using.
I have various apps on my phone to try, Ride with gps, Strava and Bike Hub (which I cant get to accept route downloads) plus I have downloads from the OS of various new paper maps I have purchased so I will always know where I am if not where I am going. The snag of course with phones is the battery life and the unreadable screens in the endless sunshine we get here in Norfolk.
Lezyne seem to offer phone connectivity so that I can use all that stuff on my phone - but with a small screen to give basic information and turn by turn navigation. Are they as good as they sound can I load a gpx plot for an Audax or are they full of glitches like all the other systems?
robing

Re: Anybody use a Lezyne GPS cycle computer

Post by robing »

Sorry, I can't help but have been interested in the Lezynes - they get a good write up and are good value. Will be interested in the replies!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Wahoo Mini is a new one that I think may cover your wish list. Good price too in comparison to Lezyne.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Wahoo Mini is a new one that I think may cover your wish list. Good price too in comparison to Lezyne.

Although the mini doesn't have its own GPS - it utilises the GPS of your smartphone. Without a phone you need a speed sensor (one is included) to get just the very basic speed & summary of distance. There's a detailed review here to decide if the Mini does what you want.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pal

Post by pal »

I've just moved over (from Garmin) to Lezyne: I got a Super GPS, attracted in particular by the claims of very good battery life (my summer trip this year included a long stretch of wild camping, so I wanted something I wouldn't need to charge up every day). It took me a while to get used to some things: the screen is smaller than the Garmin, so you can't have as many data fields showing at one time (three maximum, on the Super GPS); it doesn't update the time zone automatically (a minor gripe, I admit!); and the system for uploading pre-planned routes is a little bit convoluted ('normal' computer > lezyne website > phone app > cycle computer).

But, now I've got used to it, I like it v. much: I haven't achieved quite the battery life which the manufacturers claim, but it has lasted for three days of riding without needing to be topped up; the turn by turn directions generally work well, and the ability to get a route plan while you're out and about (by using the phone app) has been really handy at times (the suggestions are sometimes a bit flakey -- it tried to get me to ride through a [working!] quarry once! -- so you can't completely abandon common sense, but it's generally been pretty good). I've uploaded gpx tracks (from cycle.travel), and that worked well too -- though I found that using the breadcrumb-style map was more reliable than waiting for it to alert me to junctions (not sure if that's an issue with the device or with the gpx file, though...); downloading rides is also straightforward. All in all, I'm not tempted to go back to Garmin...
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

This is a bump to see if there are more opinions out there.

I currently use a Garmin 800 for audax rides and I don't really have much faith in it ..... Mine is nearing the end of it's life so I'll soon be in the market for a new GPS devise. On the face of it, these look OK. Battery life, is excellent, for a start. The screen looks a bit "pac-man". All I really need is decent "turn left/right here" instructions, with a map for when I'm not sure.....

Come on Lezyne owners - convince me!

Thanks
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Perhaps the silence signifies the number of owners. Have you tried Cycle Chat? Or YACF which is Audax weighted.?
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Having tried phone apps which have wiped out my battery and cycled with others with Garmins with a mind of their own, I am starting to conclude that a carefully studied OS map with the route marked on it from the Audax organisers GPX file, using the excellent GPX visualiser web site to plot it it,is the easiest way to go. As I already have the whole of East Anglia at 1:50,000it is certainly the cheapest option for 100k events.
pal

Post by pal »

Maybe I'm the only Lezyne user on the forum...?

Anyway -- in my role as their (unpaid, honest...) saleswoman -- I'll add that they've just released some updates, which (inter alia) allow you to have more data fields on each screen, and to create routes on the phone app (which then get blue-toothed over to the gps unit). More info here (the comments at the bottom of the post might be of interest, too, for those in search of more opinions on the merits/de-merits of these computers): http://blog.lezyne.com/special-edition-super-gps-and-new-gps-features/
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Not a Lezyne, but I'm over the moon with my new Wahoo Elemnt - so simple to set up and use, it's like technology that actually works, a miracle!

On a couple of recent trips away I've simply searched Strava and Ride with GPS for nearby rides, downloaded them to my phone or Google Drive and the app has picked them up from there, without me even asking! The mapping is a doddle to follow, lovely and clear and texts etc pop up on screen if you want them to. (eg. where the £@#% are you, your tea's getting cold/eaten).

I love maps, but I'm completely smitten with the unit and consequently done miles of riding that would otherwise have been very difficult/time consuming to get organised, absolutely brilliant!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-A500G using hovercraft full of eels.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

+1 For the Elemnt. I've used it for a short tour and Audax rides. It really is a smasher.
KFT

Post by KFT »

I have just ordered a Lezyne Super GPS from Pro bike kit (currently £99.99 and with a discount code got another tenner off).
Once it arrives and i've had chance to have a play I'll upload my thoughts.
robing

Post by robing »

The Wahoo Elemnt looks pretty cool. Does it use the same mount as the Garmin?
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

robing wrote:The Wahoo Elemnt looks pretty cool. Does it use the same mount as the Garmin?
Not quite, but I've heard that you can get away with it...

Best to have a Google and see if you're happy with what you see I think.

Comes with three mounts though, so that's a good start!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.