...where to buy cheap magazines?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tim-b

...where to buy cheap magazines?

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I used to get cheap cycling mags from my local market, but I haven't seen the stall this year
Does anyone have a source? I've tried speculative car boots/markets if I happen to pass
E and W Mids
Thanks
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
WorldWideWilby

Re: ...where to buy cheap magazines?

Post by WorldWideWilby »

Use issu app for free

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G901F using hovercraft full of eels.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

I use 'Readly'.

£7.99 a month gives me and 4 friends/family unlimited access to literally thousands of magazines - including a good selection of cycling mags.
hondated

Post by hondated »

[quote="Airsporter1st"]I use 'Readly'.

£7.99 a month gives me and 4 friends/family unlimited access to literally thousands of magazines - including a good selection of cycling mags.[/quote
Thanks never heard of that so I will check it out. My Procycling subscription is now over a £5 pm so could be a good move.
PM999

Post by PM999 »

Try your local library for online magazines. Readable on PC, tablet or 'phone, the service is completely free. I'm in Ireland and get Cycling Weekly and Cycling Plus from my local council library. Lots of other stuff available as well. Titles come and go (Pro Cycling, Mountain Bike Rider were in the collection, now gone, but you can get back issues up to date of cessation).

Picking a UK library at random (City of London) gives https://www.rbdigital.com/cityoflondon/service/magazines/landing. They seem to have only Cycling Plus in the cycling section, but I suspect the selection of mags will differ with each council/library.

The service works well and you can download to read offline, great for holidays and trips.

Paul

Edit: trying another council at random for cycling choices, this is what you get in Coventry. Some compensation for living there, I suppose.

Edit 2: only Mountain Biking UK from Coventry libraries is current, the other 4 are long ceased.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Thanks all, online saves me fighting through the market place crowds
The local library service is mainly BBC mags, but thanks for the idea
issuu and readly are both good, and issuu is all the better for being free :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

Airsporter1st wrote:I use 'Readly'.

Cor, that's made my day. I spend over £10 a month on a magazine subscription...which Readly offer for £7.99
They've got camping, cycling, and raspberry pi mags, but almost no science ones which is a shame, but I'll still be taking out a subscription. You can even read foreign stuff, and get access to all the back issues.
iow

Post by iow »

can't recommend readly enough - no contract, just cancel your subscription whenever you like...
mark
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Abradable Chin wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:I use 'Readly'.

Cor, that's made my day. I spend over £10 a month on a magazine subscription...which Readly offer for £7.99
They've got camping, cycling, and raspberry pi mags, but almost no science ones which is a shame, but I'll still be taking out a subscription. You can even read foreign stuff, and get access to all the back issues.

Yes - I must admit I was staggered at the choice available and you get each issue the moment its published.

You can also have up to 15 (I think) downloaded at any one time, so you can read them offline when e.g. flying.

I don't understand how they do it for the price - especially as you can have 5 users on the same account (works out at less than £1.60 a month, each), but long may it continue.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Thanks for that pointer... I think I can save the subscription fee immediately!

As another option, if you have Kindle Unlimited on Amazon they also do magazines, not as comprehensive as Readly though. You can actually read them on a Kindle EReader, at least some of them are reformatted for those devices, though for the magazine layout version the Kindle app works best.
Si

Post by Si »

readly - "free" 1 month trial at the mo
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Si wrote:readly - "free" 1 month trial at the mo

Oh great, makes my prize of one month trial from a pack of sausage rolls really worth it.

You can get £3.03 cashback for completing a 30 day trial if you go via Topcashback.
Si

Post by Si »

On the basis of this thread I signed up with Readly for a free month.

Things I have looked at so far:
Cycling Plus
MTBUK
Urban Cyclist
Cycling Weekly

Having looked at Urban cyclist in the shops and rapidly put it down I found it quite interesting. Obviously it's written for Hipsters with plenty of disposable income, but I am quite interested in a number of the bikes they review (folders, fixies, gravel, commuting, etc). And low and behold, a mag that actually gives crap marks to crap products. Also, despite the clothes that they review being monstrously expensive they do review sub £500 bikes and they like some of them! Some of the ariticles are quite interesting too if you like reading about artisan frame builders and cycling sub-culture.

MTBUK....I remember when it was written for spotty yoof, and was full of phat air and hucking. No longer so...average bike price seems to be around £3k. But worth it just for the Mint Sauce page....ignore most of the rest. Oh, and there was a good bit on JMC...one of the UK's great racers who is now sadly mostly forgotten.

Cycling Plus.....yep full of carbon fibre and sportives - not my bag manbut I'm sure that many will like that sort of thing. But here's strange....it was there for a couple of weeks and then disappeared - can only find a German version. What's that all about?

Cycling Weekly, well we all know what that's like.

Also a few others like Cycling Active, etc that I think have stopped publishing now?

The excellent thing about Readly is that you get oodles of back issues to paw through so I'm going to keep it going for a while until I've exhausted them. But reading it on a tablet is no substitute for a real paper mag in yer mits if you ask me.

Also loads of history magazines if you like that, but not the two archaeology mags that I wanted.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Re Cycling Plus
I queried that and apparently the publisher has removed it from the platform
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~