Queuing times for Mull ferry.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fausto copy

Queuing times for Mull ferry.

Post by fausto copy »

Just settled some dates for a few days on Mull next month and want to book an early-ish ferry from Oban.

Does anyone know how much time one needs to allow for checking in and loading etc.

Thanks, fausto.
Norman H

Re: Queuing times for Mull ferry.

Post by Norman H »

I presume you are taking a vehicle over.

Unless things have changed, and provided you know the date and sailing time, it's best to make a booking on line. You will receive an E-ticket and instructions for check in times etc. From memory, check in closes 30minutes before sailing. Just turn up in good time and join the queue for those with reservations. At check in your E-ticket will be exchanged for a boarding pass.

If you're wanting more flexibility with your travel plans , you can make a sailing reservation by phone at any time prior to sailing. I've even done this on the day of the sailing when I'm a few tens of miles from Oban, You do take pot luck though, and may not get on your first choice for sailing. When you arrive at the port you would need to allow enough time to purchase a ticket prior to check in.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Any help?

https://www.calmac.co.uk/faqs/before-you-go/checking-in

I used to work on the Oban - Craignure ferry ten years or so ago, wish I'd never left now, might have got a pension!

All the best, Simon
PH

Post by PH »

Are you travelling to Oban by train? I recall the sailing times and train times are planned to coincide, though it might just be coincidence. I was on a late running train and the ferry had been held, we were directed to queue jump and hurried along, it was all a bit rushed but better than waiting for the next boat.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Thanks chaps.
Forgot to say we are taking the motorhome.
And I'd also failed to read the bottom of the timetable telling me last check in was 30 minutes before departure. :oops:
We will book in advance to make sure of an early start,
cheers, fausto.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

fausto copy wrote:Thanks chaps.

If you need an overnight stop close to Oban, the By The Way Hostel and Camping at Tyndrum is about an hours drive from the ferryport.

Check in closes 30 minutes before sailing. You need to arrive before that.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

You do need to pre book when there a big events on in Mull e.g. the Mull rally.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

If you don't fancy the ferry from Oban there is a smaller one that crosses from Lochaline that you do not need to book. If you have the time the extra journey can be well worth it, an interesting part of the world! We've used it a number of times when visiting Mull.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Not suitable for anything else other than pedestrians and cyclists is the even smaller ferry from Kilchoan in Ardnamurchan to Tobermory. Long ride to get there but you will at almost the most western part of the British mainland.

I've used the Lochaline ferry lots - it's the logical choice for us. Lovely drive if you're driving, a stinker of a climb after Strontian if you're not!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

hercule wrote:Not suitable for anything else other than pedestrians and cyclists is the even smaller ferry from Kilchoan in Ardnamurchan to Tobermory..

Takes about 10 vehicles too, depending on size.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kilch ... aAN_VTlj7M:
hercule

Post by hercule »

rualexander wrote:
hercule wrote:Not suitable for anything else other than pedestrians and cyclists is the even smaller ferry from Kilchoan in Ardnamurchan to Tobermory..

Takes about 10 vehicles too, depending on size.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kilch ... aAN_VTlj7M:

I never realised that... always thought it was pedestrian! :roll:
robing

Post by robing »

Norman H wrote:
fausto copy wrote:Thanks chaps.

If you need an overnight stop close to Oban, the By The Way Hostel and Camping at Tyndrum is about an hours drive from the ferryport.

Check in closes 30 minutes before sailing. You need to arrive before that.

I want to stay in the Hobbit House!
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

We always used the campsite on Gallanach Road - it's barely a mile from the ferry terminal and has views across the Sound of Kerrera.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

In summer you MUST book particularly with a motorhome on Oban to Craignure. For those of us who live there it is a right PITA to go anywhere with a vehicle nowadays. Also remember the rule to always let overtaking traffic past on single track roads. Can't resist putting that in as motorhomes in particular are getting detested for not pulling in. ( I have a motorhome by the way).Check in times are as given earlier.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Yes, I will certainly be respectful of any trailing vehicles and especially the locals. :wink:
We will simply drive from the ferry terminal to our campsite in the 'van and use our bikes for pootling around the island.