Are cycling socks a waste of money?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Wynne71

Are cycling socks a waste of money?

Post by Wynne71 »

I'm beginning to get the cycling bug well and truly, currently riding a Giant hybrid, but have a road bike on the way in three weeks.
On the learning curve that is SPD pedals and shoes, a few hairy moments, but fingers crossed no scars as of yet...

I see a lot of ads for cycling socks, and am wondering it they are a fad, an advertisers made up gimmick or actually of worth.
Walking socks have been a part of my armour for a while, invaluable on hikes, and have running socks for the days I have the knee capacity to continue running.

The running socks have so far been fine in either trainers or the Shimano shoes, but am wondering if there is something to gain from a few decent pairs of cycling socks.

All thoughts, good and bad, grateful received.
Heltor Chasca

Does anyone know.....are cycling socks a waste of money?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Total fad/gimmick/con, but my Handlebar Moustache socks from Velotastic are the comfiest things I own.

Feet are one of the 3 cardinal contact points that I believe you should look after. They are integral, but don't flex much in cycling specific shoes so they are prone to getting cold and having circulation issues. I moved my cleats backwards and ditched the inner sole and I'm comfy. Decent socks do help even though in the past I've ridden with nothing other than the shoe in hot weather.

In temperate climes my feet are warm but not sweaty and they don't ruck up so I don't get hot spots.

Love them. Wouldn't be without them, but any good quality sock will suffice.

Welcome to the slippery slope.
Wynne71

Re: Does anyone know.....are cycling socks a waste of money?

Post by Wynne71 »

That's what I was thinking....thanks for the great response.
Might buy one pair and compare any difference in feel and heat/comfort between them and regular running socks.

I've found the Shimano shoes pretty stiff, but as the velcro tabs fit securely, I don't feel too much movement during cycling.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Have to say I find that cycling-specific socks are more comfortable - especially the Aldi ones - possibly because of the "compression" effect.

I suffer from peripheral neuropathy (affecting just my feet and lower legs) as a result of chemotherapy and the advice was to wear tight-fitting socks to ease the discomfort (I even sleep in compression socks!) That said the specific socks were still better even before the chemo stuff, especially when I changed to clipless about 15 years ago as I was getting "SPD foot" from pressure on the cleats.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Not really as long as what ever your wear is comfortable. Of course this may be cycling specific socks for some reason, maybe because your others are awful. I like thin wool. Warmer when wet and not so sweaty.
More important is length, style and colour. 8) Never ever saggy grey M&S ones worn at half mast and especially if with pasty white legs. Tall socks work best with long legs. Ignore Froome and Wiggins if you're a stumpy like me. Crisp white looks good until dirty. Maybe carry a spare pair for café stops? If a logo, they should match your cap. No world champion stripes please unless you are a world champion or they are cheap. Black is boring. If you have no more than size 8 feet try ladies socks. They come in nice bright stripes etc and are a bit shorter in the leg. Always wear them the same length otherwise your tans lines won't be sharp. All this is very important. :lol:
freiston

Post by freiston »

I wear the Aldi cycling socks (but they do sell different types - I like the ones with plenty of material above the ankle - can't be doing with socks that barely cover the ankle). They are very comfortable, hard-wearing and as cheap if not cheaper than any decent sock - so on that point I would say they are better value for money than regular socks. I couldn't comment on any other cycling sock though.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Wynne71

Post by Wynne71 »

I hadn't taken the compression effect into account when thinking about this. Makes sense though.
Certainly worth a try then. Off to Aldi after work then.....!
gaz

Post by gaz »

My opinion of Aldi cycling socks was also "worth a try". After trying, next time I saw them in store, I bought some more.

They remain my go to socks for summer riding.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
philvantwo

Re: Are cycling socks a waste of money?

Post by philvantwo »

Only wear socks in the winter to keep my toes warm, never wear them in the summer and who wants a daft tan line just above their ankles?!!
Wynne71

Post by Wynne71 »

Found some dhb merino socks on Wiggle at £5 a pair, half price. Worth a try, so ordered some. If they are hype and no good, they still look like decent socks.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Summer I wear 'trainer socks' to avoid as much as possible the ankle tan line... :lol: vain? Moi? And find them perfectly comfortable.
Winter I wear some cycle specific socks I have picked up from retail line in Mallorca, nowhere the price of some socks, or for very cold days have used some thicker walking socks. I certainly would not be parting with excessive amounts of money for cycle specific socks.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm another user of walking socks or extra-long merino cycling socks. Many cycling socks are just too damned short - there's no reason to have a gap between trouser cuff and sock top that you have to put sunblock on or it gets burned!

I have a very warm pair of tall ski socks that get used in deep winter. Mmmmm, toasty and worth whatever I paid for them! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Malky 1422

Post by Malky 1422 »

Having just returned from the Semaine Federale, and looking at some socks at the exhibition, the sales guy came over giving me all the virtues of these socks at a mere 17 eu. a pair. I always stock up when Aldi have them in at about £3 and they are fine. We also never realise how long our big toe nails are getting either untill they have cut a hole in the sock...I cant afford these boutique prices.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

philvantwo wrote:Only wear socks in the winter to keep my toes warm, never wear them in the summer and who wants a daft tan line just above their ankles?!!

Oh, I don't know about that. I think having a tan line just above your ankles and around your knees, plus a defined "short sleeve" tan line, is like a masonic handshake :D
Wynne71

Post by Wynne71 »

That made me laugh! Wearing the tan lines of cycling with pride.