Back on the road after accident

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bobbyg

Back on the road after accident

Post by bobbyg »

I got knocked off my bike at a roundabout on my commute to work in May. Since then I have only managed 2 x 10 mile road runs and I was as nervous as hell the whole time. Riding with my fingers over the brakes and almost slowing at every junction. I did also have one 30 mile run purely on a cycle track and that was totally fine.

However since May I have put on over a stone in weight, cycling was my exercise, my therapy, my "me-time" and it saved me stress (and money) by not having to drive in rush hour traffic.

Now my accident wasnt major - was taken away by ambulance but other than some bruises and muscle pain the biggest issue has been in the mind.

Just wondering what advice others who have maybe suffered the same loss of confidence have ?

I am wondering if I should consider going back to a hybrid bike where I am sitting taller, I find the braking and steering more comfortable than my road bike, and probably more aware of whats going on around me in the higher position.

I previously had a hybrid and last year I got a road bike for weekend runs. However very quickly I got used to the lighter weight and riding position and ended up using the road bike for my 12 mile commute as well.

Would appreciate any feedback etc?

Thanks in advance
eileithyia

Re: Back on the road after accident

Post by eileithyia »

Having had a few accidents over the years, I find it best to back on asap. Yes I was nervous, covering the brakes and jumping as car approached a side junction / giveway while i was passing... but time heals all... and was soon back to 'normal' riding even if that normal means being wary at junctions (that's not new I always have watched out for traffic).
Try riding a quieter times of the day to rebuild confidence, and maybe some off road routes. If you still have your hybrid that might be the way to go, but to spend money on a new one might be wasted because as you rebuild your confidence you may find you wish to return to your lighter weight bike.

Good luck
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Nothing beats getting back on and riding asap. It's normal to be more cautious in the immediate aftermath but it's surprising how quickly the confidence returns as long as you don't dwell on the accident.
I'd agree on the bike, don't throw money at a non existent problem, if your road bike was okay before its okay now.
Over the years i've been off (and nearly so) several times and it's always the same, cautious return but a couple of rides in and i've pretty much forgotten to be afraid.
Good luck
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There have been a few previous threads on this topic.

Here are a couple viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99889
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10485&p=76496
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I, too, was knocked off a couple of years ago. No great injuries - bumps and bruises. After a few days the stiffness lessened and I was out on the bike again. I was a bit nervous but, as has been said above, my general confidence returned as I got the miles under my belt.

However, it was the particular circumstances of the incident that affected me most. It was an early winter's morning, uphill, into the sun. The driver coming up behind me was on her phone and, being blinded by the sun and distracted by the phone, just didn't see me. She clipped me with her wing mirror.

Since then I'm very aware of (and wary of) a low bright sun, and how it affects me and other drivers (uphills; emerging from a tree tunnel; coming round a bend; emerging from a stop sign; etc).
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Knocked off once when left hooked but it's riding into a low sun that makes me nervous, especially if the road is wet.

When driving I tend to keep one hand up to shield my eyes from the sun.
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Try and think of the nervousness as a positive sharpening of your awareness of all that goes on around you whilst riding. In time (as everyone else has stated above), this could become a useful tool to stay safe with.
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

Cheers folks for the advice and input.

It does seem to be all about "just getting back out there" and overcoming the fear.

Easier said than done but one step at a time....
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Do acouple rides with others, doesn't matter the distance or ability, you will feel "safety in numbers" and other people to talk to will take your mind off it. A couple runs out in a group and you will start feeling better.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

bobbyg wrote:Cheers folks for the advice and input.

It does seem to be all about "just getting back out there" and overcoming the fear.

Easier said than done but one step at a time....

Not as easy as some make out - its a little over 2 years since I was knocked flying and the nervousness just keeps coming back, every time I get a close pass. In Birmingham this means every ride. Using footpaths (legally or otherwise) and cycle paths more and more nowadays - can't seem to shake it.

But I still enjoy the riding, I need the exercise for weight/diabetes management, just being careful about where these days.

best of luck - Richard.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !