SALVAGE SECRETARY?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lescargo

SALVAGE SECRETARY?

Post by lescargo »

A worthwhile idea?
SALVAGE SECRETARY?
How often do we look at the "Wanted" section and see someone desperately searching for
bits and pieces/spares to get back on the road economically and realise we had potential
spares but got thrown out because we did not envisage us needing them again.
Myself, I am a hoarder, maybe the result of being a "war baby", never use a penny when
a ha'penny will do, but now in my mid70's, not so vigilant about keeping stuff "just in case
I might need it in future".
As they always seem to say in the media these days SO?
In this splendid Fraternity of the Wheelers could we have a register of potential spares
available to members or as we are now "donors".
For instance friend of mine crashed out of LEL wrecking 11sp. r/h brifter-but the innards
are intact and potentially will get someone else back on the road when they need spares.
What about the post fall/crash when rider not aware that hanger is bent and puts derailleur
cage into rear wheel.
LBS then can't get spokes for NUCLEONS or COSMOS or whatever wheels they ride so its
a new back wheel but what a good chance to cannibalise that damaged wheel for spares?
Potentially 90% of the "rarely available" spokes, useful rim, free-hub, spindle, bearings; all
potential spares to get someone back on the road.
Is it beyond us to set up a register/catalogue of available salvage to get, especially our
colleagues on limited means, back on the road for pennies not pounds.
A worthwhile idea?
Mike McGeever
tim-b

Re: SALVAGE SECRETARY?

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Sounds like a good plan, as long as someone else organises it :)
I can certainly dig a wheel and a DS crank with chainrings out
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
robgul

Post by robgul »

The concept does exist in some car marques (e.g. MG) and does/did IIRC in the Moulton fraternity.

There's also the chap that is "hard to find parts" (name escapes me) that is part way there.

The Cyclists Fighting Cancer charity bike shops (there are 3 at the moment) harvests parts from donated bikes it has to scrap as being unsaleable - and also receives lots of donations of boxes of old parts from hoarders like the OP. www.cyclstsfc.org.uk - last week a chap had busted an Sti shifter on a ride en route to Cornwall from the Midlands - we supplied him with a replacement at minimal cost.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

robgul wrote:There's also the chap that is "hard to find parts" (name escapes me) that is part way there.
Francis Thurmer, also used to be known as "Mudgyard Man". He has an eBay presence.
viewtopic.php?t=5607
gaz

Post by gaz »

We have LBS, on-line retailers, ebay, for sale and wanted boards on forums, cycle jumbles and friends we can ask if we need spare parts.

There is no need to try to establish a database of parts, just a mountain of admin to create it and keep it up to date.

As the dragons say, I'm out.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I take my unwanted or part worn stuff to the local Recycle workshop. For example, I normally change my tyres when they are about just over half worn. Too good to throw away, too many to keep as spares.

Not sure if they use this stuff.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I've recently donated spares to 'Re-cycle' and can feel another clearout coming. My current project bike (a roadified hybrid) will probably go there as I'm firmly on a N-1 trajectory at the moment having got rid of my MTB and a road frameset that was languishing.

I asked my LBS owner for pedals from the parts bin recently and, fair play, he gave me a cheap but serviceable new pair for a fiver.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I speak as somebody with a garage full of junk / increasingly hard to find items, who would love to see much of it going to a good home.

I lack the energy to catalogue it all and that's reinforced by a pretty good idea that most of it's unwanted. There are others who do have that sort of energy combined with a belief that everything is worth something to somebody. This latter group seem to be those who list their junk /increasingly hard to find items, on ebay.

I cannot see a not-for-profit competitor for ebay being viable.

Another reason I don't actively push stuff in the "Offered for free" section is that I'd not want to see it on ebay soon afterwards.