Do I need 'cycling shoes'?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chesterpete

Do I need 'cycling shoes'?

Post by chesterpete »

Ive had a pair of Scott MTB style shoes for about 10 years and they are now falling to bits. I dont use cleats (although the shoes have the necessary fitments) - I use wide flat pedals and strapless toe clips. My question is - do I need to replace the cycle specific shoes (with similar, with rigid soles) or do I just use regular trainers? If I'm not using cleats, is there any real benefit to a 'rigid' sole?
Thanks
horizon

Re: Do I need 'cycling shoes'?

Post by horizon »

chesterpete wrote: is there any real benefit to a 'rigid' sole?

Not for a trip to the shops but for longer trips they are transformative. Cleats then take you to the next level. But not for a trip to the shops (double sided are a good idea).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

chesterpete wrote: is there any real benefit to a 'rigid' sole?

It depends on the size of your pedals compared to your shoe, but I use regular trainers without problems (albeit fairly stiff-soled ones for longer distances). It's much less important than on clipless pedals where the contact area is small and the shoe sole has to support the foot to avoid "hot foot".

horizon wrote:Not for a trip to the shops but for longer trips they are transformative. Cleats then take you to the next level.

Next level of A&E when you fail to unclip and fall over? ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

If you are doing long distances or riding for several hours at a time then stiff soled shoes will help you avoid plantar fasciitis or aching feet. I used to get this problem but cured it instantly when I started to use stiff soled cycling shoes.
PRL

Post by PRL »

Decathlon do reasonably priced cycling shoes with a loop to keep your laces out of the chainwheel.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-mountai ... 86858.html

Could you get better trainers ?
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

When I'm not using the cleats (eg on the Brompton), I wear some comfy casual shoes from Clarkes with a fairly stiff sole that doesn't compress like the soles of trainers. I pick them up whenever Clarke's has a sale. Just spray them with lots of the waterproofer.

Or find somewhere that sells last year's Skechers.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

rotavator wrote:If you are doing long distances or riding for several hours at a time then stiff soled shoes will help you avoid plantar fasciitis or aching feet. I used to get this problem but cured it instantly when I started to use stiff soled cycling shoes.

I had this problem and it was resolved by wearing shoes that had more flexible soles.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PRL wrote:Decathlon do reasonably priced cycling shoes with a loop to keep your laces out of the chainwheel.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-mountai ... 86858.html

Could you get better trainers ?

Note that they are rated 1 out of 4 for rigidity. It's also not clear to me whether they are supplied with the cleat holes covered or even blanking plates.

I'd suggest that flat pedal riders would be better using a lightly-cushioned trainer with a fairly flat but textured sole (such as the venerable Lonsdale Leyton if you don't mind leather and Sports Dreck hasn't yet ridden that brand totally into the ground) would be better in that price range. Skechers (mentioned above) are good if they fit you but prices seem to vary wildly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Define need
chesterpete

Post by chesterpete »

need
niːd/
verb
require (something) because it is essential or very important rather than just desirable.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Get some with a vibram sole and you'll be able to walk in them in great comfort, personally my everyday shoes are Northwave, I use them with cleats but would be brilliant without and they are excellent to walk miles in, drive car (I've done this even with the cleats) or just any everyday activity.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I ride solely ('scuse the pun) in stiff-soled waterproof walking boots. Generally they are the Karrimor brand from Sports Direct and cost about £30 a pair. This is perfect when I am touring as I don't need to bring an extra pair of off-the-bikes shoes: just as well as my size 12 feet mean I'd fill up a pannier with just one pair :lol:
chesterpete

Post by chesterpete »

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.