Securing shopping to racks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LollyKat

Re: Securing shopping to racks

Postby LollyKat » 16 Sep 2017, 10:06pm

I prefer bungees but find it difficult to get good ones, which for me means a reasonable amount of stretch so that they can cope with a wider range of dimensions. A lot are sold in sealed packets so you can't even try them out.

I'd like to make up my own and found these bungee cords in three different qualities, but I don't know which is best for my purposes:

ECOflex shock cords with Economy Polypropylene braiding
Monoflex shock cords with Polypropylene braiding
Multiflex shock cords with Polyethylene braiding

:?:

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 16 Sep 2017, 10:52pm

the first is a cheaper version of the second and the third is (I think) more durable in outdoors applications.

To get a lot of stretch in your bungy, and to make it capable of accommodating odd-sized loads, I have a top tip; make up a very long bungy and tie off the midpoint under your rack, so that the bungy goes two or three times round the top section of the rack ( pref lengthwise) under low tension when not in use. This way you will have plenty of length and plenty of stretch when you need it. You can wind the bungy width-wise, multiple times around the rack and load if required.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 16 Sep 2017, 11:12pm

I always keep bungee cords (the red 99p ones from Planet X, which are fine. IIRC you get 2 medium and 2 long length) and a large roll top bag in my pannier side pockets for when shopping goes over pannier capacity. The roll top bag then goes on top of the panniers. I also use a cargo net. It's important to use a good quality net, as the cheap ones are less elastic.

Return to “Does anyone know … ?”