some nice rides from Oxford

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whoof

some nice rides from Oxford

Post by whoof »

I'll be staying in Oxford later this month and would like to ride a couple of loops of about 50 - 80 miles. Does anyone know of any nice routes in the area? I will be staying in the Cowley area in the SE of Oxford so routes going either to the South or East would probably be best.

Many thanks in advance.
PT1029

Re: some nice rides from Oxford

Post by PT1029 »

Oxford City Cycling UK have most of their past rides (map + gpx file) on their website. Most rides are 40 - 60 ml.
https://oxfordcycling.uk/rides-and-even ... splay=past

I'm sure there will be something that fits the bill.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

I lived in south Oxfordshire for 10-years. Not a particularly dense road network and traffic speeds on some 'A' roads can be scary.
My favourites were:
Climbs onto the downs south of Wantage.
The network of lanes to the west of Streatley.
The network of lanes to the north-west of Lechlade.
The network of lanes to the north of Witney.
On a good tourer / MTB you can ride all the way from Streatley to Avebury on The Ridgeway (dry path conditions only, do it in the wet and you will slip n'slide and your bike will clog up with mud!). In the dry this path is a good way to connect roads easily.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Chilterns are nice. Why not have a look what cycle.travel comes up with in terms of circular rides?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pga

Post by pga »

Head into the Cotswolds for a longer ride. Closer to hand Otmoor is easier cycling and very quiet.

Twenty years ago when I was the Oxfordshire County Council Cycling Officer I produced several route leaflets for cycling rides, both on and off road, in the county. I do not know if these are still available. Send me your address and I will try to find a set to give to you. There are some great off road routes - not too tricky - which should be in good condition at the moment, ie no mud.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Thanks for the replies.

Al, I have had a look at Cycle Travel and was planning to use this to link together some suggestions from those will local knowledge.

Pneumant, Streatley looks interesting the route I've looked at goes through Leighton Buzzard (I've always liked the name).

PT1029, I'll take a look at the website.

pga, I've pmed you.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Whoof, cycle.travel comes up with several suggestions for circular rides from any chosen point and you can use the slider bar to alter the length of ride. You can also drag points around to alter the route if you want to. Excuse me if you already knew this.

Streatley hill is a cracker. So is the one up to the vineyard near Hambledon. If you have mtb, the bridleways in the Chilterns are mostly all natural and absolute magic through ancient woodland.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The Sinodun Hills (Wittenham Clumps) can be reached almost exclusively on cycle paths and minor roads. They offer a fine prospect over the surrounding countryside and are interesting in themselves.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PDQ Mobile wrote:The Sinodun Hills (Wittenham Clumps) can be reached almost exclusively on cycle paths and minor roads. They offer a fine prospect over the surrounding countryside and are interesting in themselves.

Nearby is Pendon model railway, worth a visit

Shotover hill (the old road from Oxford to London) is a cracker, leads to Wheatley where Chairperson May was brought up
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies