Sea Sickness - any hints, tips, advice?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Re: Sea Sickness - any hints, tips, advice?

Postby Brucey » 7 Sep 2017, 10:14am

I once had an eight or nine hour ferry crossing in foul conditions; any fouler and the service would have been cancelled for sure. There was a lot of roll and there was chop as well, and the ship didn't have stabilisers. I was out on deck for most of the crossing and I didn't get seasick.

I did gag though; the interior of the ship was littered with vomit (nearly everyone was throwing up) and the loos (which I had to use during the crossing) were absolutely indescribable. It was disgusting; just the smell inside the ship was enough to make me gag.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 7 Sep 2017, 11:07am

Eat and drink - but carefully.

Try to experiment with foods that you find neutral, ie not acid, no strong flavour, not greasy and obviously not something that repeats on you. Then eat a little before you start and snack as you go. The food and a similarly tested drink will help settle your stomach as you go.

Even f you don't do this, be very careful with what you eat and drink before you set out. I remember throwing up on a very small plane flying over a desert (lots of thermals). I could taste the coffee and acid fresh orange juice as it came up. Tea and toast would have been more likely to stay down.

Sometimes something like fizzy water is good to make you burb and clear the foul air in your gut - but of course this can also make you spew.

My advice is experiment.

Norman H

Postby Norman H » 7 Sep 2017, 2:17pm

A helmet might be a wise precaution.

https://youtu.be/CEEoWqccAyg

profpointy

Postby profpointy » 7 Sep 2017, 2:32pm

Whilst I'm never sea sick on ferries etc I do get sick on small dive boats, especially when wearing a tight neck seal and bending down to fettle kit whilst inhaling diesel fumes in a wallowy boat. Anyhow the advice I was given was to take 2 Stugeron the nigth before, 2 more when you get up and another just as you get on the boat. That worked for me. Never read the packet so this may or may not be exceeding the recommended dose

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 7 Sep 2017, 3:25pm

If you are travelling Oban to Barra then you should be ok until beyond the Cairns of Coll so not really 3 hours. I agree tablets make you sleepy but the effect may have worn off a bit by the time you reach your destination. Unless the weather is really foul when the boats may not sail anyway it is rarely as bad as expected. I travel on ferries a lot and even when it has been so bad that diversions round the top of Lismore have been made to avoid too much rolling I seem not to be affected. The scuba reference of one poster reminds me of a scuba buddie of mine who was seasick when he went into the water off Tiree.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 7 Sep 2017, 3:33pm

Pretty sure the best known cure for seasickness is to lean against a tree...

I tend to find the engine rumble worse than most sea motions.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.
No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
A good pun is it's own reword

There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

bikercolin

Postby bikercolin » 7 Sep 2017, 4:27pm

http://www.sea-band.com/

I have suffered over the years but these work realy well for me, even on the crossing to Scilly.

jgurney

Postby jgurney » 7 Sep 2017, 4:35pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:Pretty sure the best known cure for seasickness is to lean against a tree.

http://www.tomlewis.net/lyrics/marching_inland.htm

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 7 Sep 2017, 4:57pm

No magic cures, probably avoid the family sat on deck cheerfully eating jelly babies while all around us were returning their lunches lol (Family holiday boat trip around Lundy Island, too rough to land that day).

Sorry, fresh air, tablets and treat the constipation, and I would suggest don't use the ferry from Doolin to the Aran Islands..... think I was the only one not ill on that trip..... (and the sailors), thought my ex was never going to emerge from the Gents..... interestingly one of the staff was planted alongside the entrance to the toilets with a pocket full of plastic bags :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 7 Sep 2017, 5:08pm

Isn't ginger supposed to help reduce the effects of sea sickness.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Sep 2017, 5:11pm

The only time I was ever felt seasick was on the old hovercrafts to Calais

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 7 Sep 2017, 6:10pm

mercalia wrote:The only time I was ever felt seasick was on the old hovercrafts to Calais

shouldn't that be.... airsick...? :wink:

ferrit worrier wrote:Isn't ginger supposed to help reduce the effects of sea sickness....

er, (and I'm thinking of racehorses here...) what do you do with the ginger exactly...?. :shock: :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mnichols

Postby mnichols » 7 Sep 2017, 9:23pm

ambodach wrote:If you are travelling Oban to Barra then you should be ok until beyond the Cairns of Coll so not really 3 hours. I agree tablets make you sleepy but the effect may have worn off a bit by the time you reach your destination. Unless the weather is really foul when the boats may not sail anyway it is rarely as bad as expected. I travel on ferries a lot and even when it has been so bad that diversions round the top of Lismore have been made to avoid too much rolling I seem not to be affected. The scuba reference of one poster reminds me of a scuba buddie of mine who was seasick when he went into the water off Tiree.

The first (3 hour) ferry is from Mallaig to Lochboisdale. Anyone know what that one is like

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 7 Sep 2017, 10:17pm

Brucey wrote:
mercalia wrote:The only time I was ever felt seasick was on the old hovercrafts to Calais

shouldn't that be.... airsick...? :wink:

ferrit worrier wrote:Isn't ginger supposed to help reduce the effects of sea sickness....

er, (and I'm thinking of racehorses here...) what do you do with the ginger exactly...?. :shock: :shock:

cheers

Ginger in biscuit form. take as many as required :D before, during, and after the journey. not sure if "Dunking" is permitted. I believe that there is an element in the ginger that settles the stomach.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 8 Sep 2017, 9:24am

mnichols wrote:The first (3 hour) ferry is from Mallaig to Lochboisdale. Anyone know what that one is like

The only time I went to catch that the sea was so rough that the sailing was cancelled. It's a long time ago but I think it was in Spring, with more chance of gales.

Return to “Does anyone know … ?”