Far too good to be true

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vladimir

Far too good to be true

Post by Vladimir »

What do we make of this, then?
Surely it's a scam?!
http://eurpop.com/index.php?main_page=p ... ucts_id=98
I totally want one, though!
Ivorcadaver

Re: Far too good to be true

Post by Ivorcadaver »

Seems a genuine company;Direct Bikes Limited registered at Companies House but prices are in the category 'if it seems too good to be true it probably is.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

One of the e-bikes pictured on that dodgy website was at Eurobike, has a rrp of £5,499, not the £399 they claim.

Scamadviser.com says Eurpop.com (owner Gueijuan Xu) is suspicious, the domain age is 38 days and as such doesn't have an online reputation yet.

http://www.ruff-cycles.com on the other hand has a high trust rating, a domain age of 5 years, and is deemed to be popular by Alexa with a ranking of 650,420.

http://store.ruff-cycles.com/the-ruffian-bosch-ebike.html
Attachments
ruffian real price.jpg
ruffian real price.jpg (15.29 KiB) Viewed 7860 times
ruffian.jpg
eurobike cruiser.jpg
Last edited by Erudin on 8 Sep 2017, 12:28am, edited 6 times in total.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

At that price, I'd like one... to hang on my wall...
Is it full-sized? Or just a model?
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

There is zero corporate information, not so much as a phone number. And you ask if it is a scam?
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
gaz

Post by gaz »

MarcusT wrote:There is zero corporate information, not so much as a phone number. And you ask if it is a scam?

Err. There's full corporate info. Last time I looked Wiggle don't have a phone number.

1. Definitions
'Seller', 'We', 'Our', 'Us' means Direct Bikes Limited, 5 Elstree Gate, Elstree Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire WD6 1JD. Registered in England & Wales. Company Registration Number: 943 9704 92

The Ts&Cs also explain that the e-bikes require registration with the DVLA (top speed 35km/h, EAPC limit is 25km/h).

There are some other interesting clauses in the Ts&Cs, although I doubt that they are anything out of the ordinary.

6. Price
6.2. Whilst we try and ensure that all prices on the Website are accurate, errors may occur. If we discover an error in the price of Goods you have ordered we will inform you as soon as possible and give you the option of reconfirming your order at the correct price or cancelling it. If we are unable to contact you we will treat the order as cancelled. If you cancel and you have already paid for the Goods, you will receive a full refund. We shall be under no obligation to fulfil an order for Goods advertised at an incorrect price.

Section 12 on Liability makes interesting reading too, particularly as the Ts&Cs draw your attention to 12.4 & 12.5.

Whether it's outright scam, deceptive marketing ploy or genuine error I do not know but I'd estimate your chances of getting one of these e-bikes for the listed price as zero.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This reminds me of the sandals. :wink:
http://www.beautywebsites.top/genericty ... 18259.html

I took a punt, didn't receive them, and my credit card was refunded.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

WIGGLE
Company name: Wiggle
Address: Wiggle Ltd 3 Optima Northarbour Spur Portsmouth PO6 3TU
Telephone number: 01324 314212

Doesn't mean to say anyone will answer it though.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Come on now, people. The reason these fraudulent sites proliferate is that people keep falling for them. Stop and they’ll stop.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

MarcusT wrote:There is zero corporate information, not so much as a phone number. And you ask if it is a scam?

There no need to be a twit about it though!
FYI it came up on Facebook a an ad and I was on my phone so I simply posted a link and asked a question.
I obviously suspect it's a scam.
Manners cost nothing...
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I followed the ordering process through a while back, without ordering. They don't state shipping costs before you enter your credit card details and hit OK, so that leaves them free to charge whatever they like. Needless to say, I didn't.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Oh yeah I remember Mick F and the sandals! It all ended with a picture of an oak tree!!!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I bet all you get is a small 6" model :lol:
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Vladimir wrote:

There no need to be a twit about it though!
FYI it came up on Facebook a an ad and I was on my phone so I simply posted a link and asked a question.
I obviously suspect it's a scam.
Manners cost nothing...

Apologies, not my intent to mock you. Perhaps because I see so many of these fly by night operations that make a few thousand then disappear.

Gaz, Thank you for finding that page, I was expecting to find it on their home page, or About or FAQ or contact. Tried to research the corporate number and got no results. Direct Bikes has a different address and corp number, plus they have a phone number.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:Oh yeah I remember Mick F and the sandals! It all ended with a picture of an oak tree!!!
Correction ............. chestnut tree. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall