Far too good to be true

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jono121

Re: Far too good to be true

Post by Jono121 »

Oh my god I got home and it’s here it’s for real. I ordered the elec mountain bike in green not the old styled one the you guys are going on about. You may say I have more money than sense trusting it but heh I now have what looks a quality elec bike for only £69. I will be ordering more for re sale. I am the king of the world. Oh and some times things are just true. You guy panicked me when I researched and come across this forum after I spent my money. I will post a picture tomorrow if this site allows me to I am off to assemble it.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hello Jono121,

Welcome to the forum. What an amazing coincidence that your first post should bring us doubters such good news.
Neut

Post by Neut »

Hi, I too have come across this company. Has anyone received one yet?
1982john

Post by 1982john »

https://forum.commervanfan.co.uk/threads/be-aware.8646/

Saw an advert on Facebook for retro electric bikes, scooters etc etc. One of those big adverts that look real.....
Fell in love with a bike for £89 plus £9 postage. Very reasonable so I ordered one. My bank refused payment which was lucky!
Bit of research.... The website was based in the US, the money was going to another company in China... The bait turned out to be a hand built aluminium bike built in Germany with a retail price of £5,300!
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

for the price the chinese can and will clone something for that price, but use cheaper/thinner lower specced parts.

years ago I read an article on a chinese 'motorcycle' factory that was just a clone shop, some guy sank 4.5m euros for a designed electric moped and got something that he couldn't sell because it failed the german quality checks due to cost cutting by the supplier with thousands piled up in a hamburg warehouse as they were impounded for safety reasons. Their chief 'designer' was supposed to be designing a harley type bike from scratch but didn't know how so took six hour lunch breaks instead.

a bit like the cheap minimotos from 15 years ago that were a 10th the price of the US ones but you couldn't get parts and the pistons used to separate.

often now the base hardwear is pukka so the bosch motors are probably made in the bosch factory on a second domestic line without bosch even knowing but the frame, electronics etc.. would be domestic sourced and made. many chinese scooters are crap but they have genuine honda engines in them.
hamster

Post by hamster »

crazydave789 wrote:often now the base hardwear is pukka so the bosch motors are probably made in the bosch factory on a second domestic line without bosch even knowing but the frame, electronics etc.. would be domestic sourced and made.

Any multinational will have their own (in the case German) staff there too. The so-called Bosch motors are probably counterfeit.
I used to work for a well-known TV company. The first we knew that our products were being counterfeited was through sets being returned as defective - the outsides were bob-on identical, the insides of course totally different.

As an example, lots of the off-brand ebay lights marketed as with Cree LEDs use Chinese-made LED emitters - only by use of a lens and inside knowledge can you see the emitter isn't Cree.
Gemmad

Post by Gemmad »

Hi all, just joined to confirm this is a scam. Thought we would give it a shot and now waiting for the bank to get back to us. Ordered on the 6th September and still nothing. Been tracking and they said they were delivered. Also received a random pair of Raybans which if you google will see others have too. Upset at a £173 scam.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Have seen a similar offer on my F/B stream this week.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

No picture yet from jono121.
Latest annual return at Companies House Nov 2015
"We are a CANADA company and to keep costs low our motorbikes are manufactured abroad in India & China." What's that?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ourkid77

Post by ourkid77 »

I think I already know the answer to this but did anyone actually receive one of these bikes.

I took a punt and ordered an e-bike and an electric scooter off them 2 days ago (did have the presence of mind to use my credit card) but having since done a bit of research after having some nagging doubts of the 'too good to be true variety' (hindsight is a wonderful thing) it would now appear highly likely this is a scam.

Think a call to my credit card company is in order :oops:
Graham

Post by Graham »

Does anyone know how a scammer company manages to get a merchant account with the Credit Card companies ?

How is it that these financial wizzards appear to be unable to protect themselves ??
horizon

Post by horizon »

Any thoughts on this one?

https://www.equipyourtrip.com/

The quality isn't good enough for a real scam. :lol:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gaz

Post by gaz »

The "About us" section would suggest they've been around since Roman times.

Not sure I'd give them a single sesterce.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

In publishing and graphic design, lorem ipsum is a placeholder text commonly used to demonstrate the visual form of a document without relying on meaningful content (also called greeking). Replacing the actual content with placeholder text allows designers to design the form of the content before the content itself has been produced.

The lorem ipsum text is typically a scrambled section of De finibus bonorum et malorum, a 1st-century BC Latin text by Cicero, with words altered, added, and removed to make it nonsensical, improper Latin.