Daft TV ads

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Si

Re: Daft TV ads

Post by Si »

"I were right about that saddle though"

...actually not very daft at all.
Debs

Post by Debs »

AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
AndyK wrote:
Mick F wrote:We don't have a telly.

Just thought I'd mention this. :wink:

Well done you. :wink: I'll see if we can find you a small prize.

Nor do I, do I get a prize too? Could be expensive for you if many more of us are eligible :wink:

Only the first three get prizes. You have won a classic CTC "yellow bike" enamel badge if I can ever find the drawer I put them all in. Prizewinner pays postage.

And now I'm off to add replies saying "I don't have a bike" to the bottom of every thread about bikes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

AndyK wrote:And now I'm off to add replies saying "I don't have a bike" to the bottom of every thread about bikes.
:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

AndyK wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
AndyK wrote:Well done you. :wink: I'll see if we can find you a small prize.

Nor do I, do I get a prize too? Could be expensive for you if many more of us are eligible :wink:

Only the first three get prizes. You have won a classic CTC "yellow bike" enamel badge if I can ever find the drawer I put them all in. Prizewinner pays postage.

And now I'm off to add replies saying "I don't have a bike" to the bottom of every thread about bikes.

+99!

It will be my third prize, the first was a white blue peter badge, the second was a bronze medal in the county championship for under 16s (cycling!)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Cyril Haearn, No TV and you a Blue Peter badge holder where's the brand loyalty!
Nu-Fogey
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

gbnz wrote:I suppose it goes along with the lust for leather saddles, steel frames and using pigeons for communication (
They don't like going into them pillar box slots.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Brucey wrote:There have been a few TV ads recently which have featured bikes in a daft way.

Kerrygold Butter ( I think) ; the chap appears riding a bike and then in another shot gazes rightwards over a gate into a field. The shot has been reversed (probably for 'artistic reasons') and as a consequence the chain is on the wrong side of the parked bike

Carlsberg Beer; there is a bloke riding a bike, wittering on about 'hygge' and so forth. His bike appears variously with the chain on the left or the right, again as a result of flipped shots.

Go Daddy; a bicycle wheel is 'mended', and is spun up by hand. It immediately makes the clicking sound of a freewheel. Which is surprising, since it is a front wheel, and it may even be spinning in the wrong direction.... :roll:

anyone spotted any other blinding goofs...?

cheers

You need to get out more :mrgreen:

When terminator was launched (highest cost film) and still happens today, IIRC four stroke bikes with chainsaw two stroke noises :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
softlips wrote:Doesn't everyone record programmes and fast forward through the ads?

Yes,but occasionally I need to laugh and feel depressed in equal measure :wink:

I nearly posted that the OP can't afford a recorder :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
horizon wrote:
Brucey wrote:
And I dunno whether this is really daft or not but way back (in the 1970s) there was an ad for Hovis bread with some lad pushing a baker's bike "oop a gurt great 'ill".

Hardly daft - favourite TV ad of all time:

You have to think about that for a while..........what would a alien think........I got to admit you see cyclist doing this most of the time, like joggers who go down past my house but walk on the way back :? :lol:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
softlips wrote:Doesn't everyone record programmes and fast forward through the ads?

Yes,but occasionally I need to laugh and feel depressed in equal measure :wink:

I nearly posted that the OP can't afford a recorder :)

A Brucey top-tip; the best TV recorder for a basic (non-HD) freeview setup was for a long time a Sony RDR-HXD model (actually made by Pioneer). Well they are still pretty good! They will record to a hard drive and you can also burn DVDs as well. Unlike sony DC100 etc (actually Samsung models in disguise, which are crap and annoying) the RDR series allows series recording, high speed dubbing, editing and all sorts of things that work really well. Shame Pioneer video corporation went bust.

But the good news is that RDR-HXD series recorders are available used (eg on gumtree), often for peanuts. Prices do vary (£70 to £100 is typical) but I recently bought a RDR-HXD870 (as a backup machine) locally and it cost me £30, complete with remote, all manuals leads etc. Bargain!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

another daft ad; for some life assurance company (SunLife?). A lady of, uh. 'mature years' is speaking to camera from a sun lounger in her garden. Apparently she is such a distraction to passing cyclists that several of them crash horribly whilst rubbernecking....

It contains a grain of truth; the accident stats for cars go up instantly every time there is nice weather in the springtime; a lot of chaps trying to drive suddenly find there are plenty of fresh distractions...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Does anyone understand the advert for a bloke's perfume(?). Some rough looking guy drives into the desert, takes a necklace off and buries it. That's it!

Then there are the women only adverts for cars and breakfast cereals. The car one (I think referred to in an earlier post) shows young women driving their kids to school while still wearing their pajamas. That tells me the car is for women only. Then there's the Special K cereal which shows only women eating it, not for us blokes then.

The frightening thing is, there are people among us who think these adverts up!
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

The even more frightening thing is, there are people among us who believe in them!
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

PaulB wrote:Does anyone understand the advert for a bloke's perfume(?). Some rough looking guy drives into the desert, takes a necklace off and buries it. That's it!

It has deep meaning on many levels......... :roll: . Thinks its johhny depp is it not? Thinking he needs to bury his pirate treasure outside of las vegas. Likely laughing all the way to the bank in reality.