Daft TV ads

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Re: Daft TV ads

Post by rmurphy195 »

Everything I watch from commercial channels is time-shifted, so I can skip the ad breaks. With documentaries/educational stuff they can still be irritating because lots of a section of a program consists of a recap of what was in the previous sections! I guess you need this if you have 4 - 6 minute breaks for every 8 - 12 minutes of programming. Thats why I prefer the BBC! (And why bake-off is now an hour and a quarter instead of an hour)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

rmurphy195 wrote:Everything I watch from commercial channels is time-shifted, so I can skip the ad breaks. With documentaries/educational stuff they can still be irritating because lots of a section of a program consists of a recap of what was in the previous sections! I guess you need this if you have 4 - 6 minute breaks for every 8 - 12 minutes of programming. Thats why I prefer the BBC! (And why bake-off is now an hour and a quarter instead of an hour)
You lot living in Britain don't know the half of it. Try watching German TV (awful - the ads are even worse) or US TV - I had nine years of commercial breaks so long I'd forgotten what I was watching....or Australian TV, or The Singapore Broadcasting Company...so dreadful it must have been some form of parody. Cherish the UK broadcasters, please, I want to retire there some day.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

here is typical USA way of doing adverts

what is so annoying is they flip in and out distacting especially as they are designed to get your atention. They last for about 20 seconds or so

the top one if you enlarge you can see where the bottom of the screen is

In the Uk you atleast fast forward past the adverts or if saved edit them out but here not with the yanky way of doing things?

If I was an USA tv viewer I would be tempted to email the companies telling them I would NEVER buy their products due to their obtrusive advertising: negative publicity
Attachments
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Username

Post by Username »

Brucey wrote:There have been a few TV ads recently which have featured bikes in a daft way.

Kerrygold Butter ( I think) ; the chap appears riding a bike and then in another shot gazes rightwards over a gate into a field. The shot has been reversed (probably for 'artistic reasons') and as a consequence the chain is on the wrong side of the parked bike

Carlsberg Beer; there is a bloke riding a bike, wittering on about 'hygge' and so forth. His bike appears variously with the chain on the left or the right, again as a result of flipped shots.

Go Daddy; a bicycle wheel is 'mended', and is spun up by hand. It immediately makes the clicking sound of a freewheel. Which is surprising, since it is a front wheel, and it may even be spinning in the wrong direction.... :roll:

anyone spotted any other blinding goofs...?

cheers

I remember a Shiela's Wheels ad. A bunch of women in an open top car singing an awful tune while waving their hands in the air, including the driver. A great commercial for something advertising car insurance. Just goes to show how BS TV ads are. I kind of feel that if something is advertised on TV then it will be rubbish.
You dont see ads for Ferraris or even push bikes. I do see ads for BSOs and BS in general, such as broadband providers. And just look at their customer services! It also why you see party political broadcasts alot in the run up to an election. Its best to go for something NOT advertised on TV. They typically dont need advertising as their reputation for quality does the advertising for them. If Ferrari were to make a TV ad, it would tarnish their brand name.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info