Charges for riding on box hill

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roberts8

Charges for riding on box hill

Post by roberts8 »

I have read that the Legs of Steel sportive this month will not be using Box Hill as there is now a charge. This is no big deal as there are lots of other hills much harder nearby but I was wondering what the NT are charging for an event my guess is it can only be about £100 but am I underestimating the greed of NT?
mercalia

Re: Charges for riding on box hill

Post by mercalia »

roberts8 wrote:I have read that the Legs of Steel sportive this month will not be using Box Hill as there is now a charge. This is no big deal as there are lots of other hills much harder nearby but I was wondering what the NT are charging for an event my guess is it can only be about £100 but am I underestimating the greed of NT?

well they need the money to buy some land near the White Cliffs of Dover that has recently come up for sale - they are doing things like that all the time, buying up land for the nation as it becomes available. Its not a profit driven organisation? no share holders benefit?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41142193
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

roberts8 wrote:I have read that the Legs of Steel sportive this month will not be using Box Hill as there is now a charge. This is no big deal as there are lots of other hills much harder nearby but I was wondering what the NT are charging for an event my guess is it can only be about £100 but am I underestimating the greed of NT?

Back in 2011 Cycling Weekly was reporting "as much as £2,000 per sportive". I imagine it hasn't gone down since then, especially as that was before the Olympics.

This NT page about a wider 21-site "pilot" in 2016 quotes admin fees of £50-£100 plus 3% of the entry fees paid by entrants. I can't find any published record of what was decided after after the end of the pilot. For Legs of Steel with its £34 entry fee, 3% would equate to £1.20 per rider. If the ride reached its entry limit of 600, 3% of the fees would be £720.

However it seems there's more to it than that, as the organisers had already increased the entry fee to cover the NT's charges. So it's not the fees that stopped them.

The NT is under pressure from local residents to limit the number of events using Box Hill. The Box Hill Sportive takes place just a week after Legs of Steel; my guess is that local NT management decided that two sportives in successive weekends would be too much and withdrew its permission for one of them.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Thanks for the indication of costs. I have no problem with limiting the sportives or accruing money from the companies organising them and using it to acquire quality sites. The number of events does cause issues so I get that too, it was just I was not able to find out the charges and I hope it will not apply to SW 50k Hilly event in March but I suppose the finish can always be changed as only about 80 take part. Thanks