backpack panniers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrevA

Re: backpack panniers

Post by TrevA »

Vorpal wrote:
Some rack top bags will take a laptop.

Any idea which ones? I have a 12" by 8" Lenovo Thinkpad, but it won't fit into my current rack top bag, an ancient Agu Sport bag, so I carry it in a small rucksack on my back.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

TrevA wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
Some rack top bags will take a laptop.

Any idea which ones? I have a 12" by 8" Lenovo Thinkpad, but it won't fit into my current rack top bag, an ancient Agu Sport bag, so I carry it in a small rucksack on my back.

The expandable Topeak one. I forget what it's called. I'll have a little look for a link in a bit.

edited to add links
this is the expandable one I was thinking of
they used to do an office bag rack pack that might still be available on eBay or something
I've also seen some things in shops on the continent that look like a duffle bag with rack top mounting system that I think would take a laptop. I haven't found anything like it online, though.

There's also something like the Arkel Trailrider, which is expandable. That might take a laptop, though I haven't tried it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Colkel

Post by Colkel »

Take a look at Lomo cycle panniers. They are based in Scotland and you can buy direct from their website. I am also a touring motorcyclist and have bought many drybags from them. Their bags are on a par with Ortlieb regards quality but are much friendlier on your pocket.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-T580 using hovercraft full of eels.
serbring

Post by serbring »

pete75 wrote:
serbring wrote:@Pete75: I have already seen the carradice, but it is not really nice for commuting to work. The velcro is really bad and the hooka seem to be visible anytime.

What's bad about the Velcro? I've seen one and it just looks like normal velcro to me. So what if the hooks are visible...

Considering that I need that bag for business meetings a visibile bag velcro is not really nice looking. The same for the hooks. Moreover, if they are visible, your leg can hurt with them, so carrying the bag off the bike is not really comfortable. I had this experience with my Ortlieb office-bag which has the QL2.1 hook system.
serbring

Post by serbring »

mjr wrote:
serbring wrote:Altura hook system relies to hook elasticity to block the uplift movement. I had a Basil bag and twice, the bag fell down because I kicked the bag with my heel.

I've highlighted the actual fault for you: "because I kicked the bag with my heel". Don't do that!

If you've got a pannier which secures Ortlieb-style and kick it hard enough, what do you think happens then? The pannier can't gonna fall fairly harmlessly to the floor any more, so at best it's gonna release the bottom clip to allow the pannier to swing around the secured top hooks and at worst... I dunno... snap the bottom clip? Lift the back of the bike up in the air? Bend the rack or yank on a bolt? Damage the bag? Hurt your foot? Something's gotta give!

Why backpack? If you really want one, I think Union34 Stripe has one with pannier hooks. They also do a nicer-looking office bag. Both fairly expensive full-price but often discounted. The Basil Sports Design Single (I think I've remembered the name - it's a more office-looking version of the Sports Single) is also nice (edit: and also an office bag with shoulder-strap, not a backpack) - Basil have a "terrible hook system" with flippable locking bar but the hooks are replaceable if you break them by riding the pannier into a sticking-out bit of bridge (DAMHIK :oops: )

Kicking the bag with heels can occur with the Altura bag, because the hooks are fixed, so the rack could not let to arrange the bag in the rearest position. That was the problem with by the basil bag I had (here a picture of the hooks).
The union34 looks nice but I cannot find any video showing the mounting system. Have you found anthing? I'd prefer a backpack because it is more comfortable for carrying the bag when I'm off the bike. Occasionaly, I walk in the downtown for shoppring and I walk for a couple of hours.
mjr

Post by mjr »

serbring wrote:Kicking the bag with heels can occur with the Altura bag, because the hooks are fixed, so the rack could not let to arrange the bag in the rearest position. That was the problem with by the basil bag I had (here a picture of the hooks).

The Basil bags I mention have the hooks on a rail. I thought most Altura did too. My bodged QL1 bag doesn't, but I can move it further back on my rails OK.

serbring wrote:The union34 looks nice but I cannot find any video showing the mounting system. Have you found anthing? I'd prefer a backpack because it is more comfortable for carrying the bag when I'm off the bike. Occasionaly, I walk in the downtown for shoppring and I walk for a couple of hours.

Me too, but I'm OK with shoulder bags... if it's too heavy for across my body, it's maybe more than I should have in one bag ;)

Anyway, I originally heard of that rucksack at http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/union-34 ... ag-review/ but that shows the seatpost fixing model. (The comments there suggest some alternatives, including some discontinued that you might find on sites like Bankrupt Bike Parts, as well as the old favourite of fixing a crate to the rack and just dropping whatever bag in it.) I had a good look through the usual shops and the ebay lottery and I can see that the rack-fixed union34 stripe rucksack mounts at an angle to reduce the risk of heel-strike (which is why there are left and right side versions) but not any pictures showing the hooks. I think you'll need to contact one of the sellers and ask.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
serbring

Post by serbring »

pete75 wrote:Just a thought but if you must have a back pack why not just get a normal one and fasten it on your carrier with luggage elastics if you don't want to wear it on your back while you ride.

I have already thought it, but I thought that it might be not really safe for the laptop (?) especially because all the weight of the other stuff will be supported by the laptop, isn't it?
serbring

Post by serbring »

Another interisting bag I have just found:

https://www.amazon.it/VAUDE-Borsa-Cycli ... de+cyclist

non waterproof but the transming system is well designed.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

This might do the job. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=117392
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
serbring

Post by serbring »

pete75 wrote:This might do the job. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=117392

smart solution for a rack