Bike hire shop in Mumbai, India

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Colinduncan

Bike hire shop in Mumbai, India

Post by Colinduncan »

Hello, I am cycling from Mumbai to Goa along the Konkan coast in October and am looking to hire 3 touring bikes in Mumbai and drop off in Goa. Does anybody know of a good bike hire shop in Mumbai? Thanks, Colin
Vorpal

Re: Bike hire shop in Mumbai, India

Post by Vorpal »

I know someone in Mumbai & shall ask him...
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I doubt you will find one. Even finding a decent touring bike in India is unlikely. Things have improved a lot in India over the last few years but there are still few places to source good bikes.

Also, have you thought how you will get the bikes back at the end of the trip?

You could try posting here https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... -your-bike as quite a few of the regulars have ridden in India and a few have done the Mumbai to Goa route (I've only ridden to/from Goa to/from the East and South).

Another tip is to load the google map for Mumbai then do a search on bicycle shops. They will show on the map. You can then see if they may do hire bikes and contact them if you want.

Personally, i would take my own bike(s). These will be much better than most hire options (if available). You can take bikes on airlines UK to India eg Emirates.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pm sent
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Was there an answer?
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Just curious, so I did the google warrior thing. Mastermind Bikes sells what looks like some high quality racing bikes. http://www.mastermindbikes.in/welcome.html You could ping them on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MasterMind-Bic ... 381791444/ if they don't hire bikes (no sign), I be they'd know who does.

Urban Shark might be a bit more promising. They come up if I google hire bicycles Mumbai, and they seem to be a proper shop. Again, they have facebook so it will be easy to contact them. (And I'd guess that they'd answer.) https://www.facebook.com/bikeshark/

If hire is impossible, what about buy-back?

(Note: I'm assuming that Vorpal's friend has sorted this. After being able to check rainfall radar to time my cycle home, I was just curious how much can be done through electronic means nowadays that would have been utterly impossible or extremely slow when I was young.)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe one could buy bikes there and sell them at the end of the trip
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe one could buy bikes there and sell them at the end of the trip

Or buy a bike there and then get greedy and figure out how to bring it back on the plane like I did in New Zealand. It was much cheaper than hiring, and I still have the bike.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The OP hasn't been back, but I did send his details to someone who should be able to help.