How to lock a bike using older low racks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reanner

How to lock a bike using older low racks

Post by reanner »

Hi
Newbie here. I'm locking my bike in my works bikeshed for the first time but i'm a bit stumped by their rack. I'll post an actual picture later but it's very similar to this:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3a/f3/98/3af398c6c473be69e579ed309349f91b--bike-locker-bike-shed.jpg

My question is how do i lock my bike frame to such a low rack? I've got a very small Kryptonite New York forgetaboutit mini lock and a kryptonite silver standard lock thats a bit longer. I ideally like to lock my frame to a stand using the forgetaboutit since that's gold standard, and use the silver standard lock to lock my front wheel to a stand but this seems impossible on such a low rack? Unless anyone has any ideas? I confess I am new to bike locking!

Many thanks for any advice,
Reanne
Vorpal

Re: How to lock a bike using older low racks

Post by Vorpal »

Can you leave a lock there? There are some quite good chain and cable locks, but they are too heavy to carry around.

Otherwise, maybe you can lock the wheel to the stand, and the frame to the wheel?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'd either do as Vorpal suggests (wheel to stand, frame to wheel) or stand the bike against the back of it and lock it to the nice thick upper rail. You could probably get two bikes along there without them interfering with each other too much, although they wouldn't even be semi-sheltered like the ones locked in the thin wheel channels.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

^+1
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

+1, take a big chain style lock such as in the picture, leave at work and use to secure the bike..... meanwhile suggest to work that that sort of bike store is not really suitable.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

eileithyia wrote: meanwhile suggest to work that that sort of bike store is not really suitable.

It might get a bit further if you take a 'wellness' approach. On the order of, 'it's nice to encourage active travel, can we please improve the facilities?'

What you ask for, depends more on your work and company culture than anythign else. Someplaces I've worked, people strategicaly asked for the moon, in order to get the wedge of cheese they wanted all along. Other places, the most useful part of a request was the detail.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom