A really good weatherproof jacket

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
freiston

Re: A really good weatherproof jacket

Post by freiston »

I and a few others at work each got an Altura Varium jacket (we found an outlet selling them very cheap) which is very good, windproof and breathable (it also has pit-zips) but I do find that it lets water in on heavy sustained downpours- particularly on the tops of the arms, across the shoulders and around the front zip. Funny thing is that the others at work say they have no problems even in heavy rain.

If the rain isn't heavy or sustained, then it works beautifully and when the weather (forecast or actual) isn't that bad, it's what I take/wear but I have bought a Decathlon B'twin 500 waterproof jacket (only £25) for when I'm expecting very wet weather (as yet it remains untested). The b'twin is a 'proper' waterproof with vents rather than claims of breathability.

I don't think the Varium is still available and I'm not sure what jacket of the current range would be considered the replacement; I think the full price was around the £120 mark.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

While I don't have an issue in dropping a heafty sum on a gabba (ok, I do now, but I'll have some cash in about a year's time) I do have an issue if it doesn't live up to the cost. Guess that's why I would have gravitated towards the Rapha softshell if they still do it (as they have good returns policy).
Having grown up in Belgium I am okay with rain and want something rainproof for the half the year where it is cold enough to be bothered by rain. For the three days a year that it gets proper wet I have something waterproof but in no way breathable.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Richard D wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Many Castelli Gabba users swear by them, whether the expense is worth it to you is your call.

I bought a Gabba a fortnight ago, and with the weather recently I've had plenty of chances to try it out. Bloody fantastic. Is that enough swearing for you?

Wind proof and water resistant enough to to stay pretty dry and entry warm enough, without overheating as you might in something "breatheable". And much more water resistant than my Stolen Goat Orkaan, which always wets through after ten minutes :(

I have a long sleeve Castelli Perfetto jacket which is the newer version of the Gabba. While I really like it it is not waterproof and the water soaks in and doesn't bead on the surface like they show in the ads! Great for fast rides and even used it in an early season road race over a thermal vest, it was brilliant there and even though I was still wet, frozen and shivering at the finish it certainly saved me.

If out in the rain for a long time I still have to put a proper waterproof over the top. For this I use a Gore Bike Wear Element Gore-Tex Paclite Jacket, I find the hood invaluable but the jacket itself is just a little bulky to roll up and stick in a jacket pocket. I do but it is a squeeze and hangs out the top of the pocket a bit too much to seem safe there.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've been collecting together stuff for a trip I'm planning which involves a '64 Moulton and some matching vintage kit. I'll be visiting a selected group of England's churches, the route being based on the churches listed in Simon Jenkin's book. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Englands-Thous ... ches+simon I'm taking a cape to use as my water-proof top garment. I've used it a couple of times to test it (and boy have I had opportunity to, recently!)
I can report that its pretty effective, in that: it was cheap - very cheap! It is very water-proof, being plastic, and it's not as stuffy inside as I'd thought it would be. Plus it packs small and is quick and easy to pop on when it chucks it down.
Just a thought!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Capes have been surprisingly slow to be mentioned. I'm not a cape enthusiast, although my dear old dad used to insist I had one strapped onto the top of the Carradice Camper until I was old enough to do my own thing. Anybody deciding to use a cape might do well to get a heavy quality one.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Re frieston's post above, +1 for the varium.

It is excellent and I am one of the lucky ones - doubly lucky.

1 - mine shows no leakage.

2 - pretty sure I got it at the bargain price (not much over £40 as I recall).

Only slight issue - inexplicably awful tag on the main zip bust off after hardly any use - clearly appallingly specced - but a tiddly matter and soon fixed.

Altura is these days generally very good - surely they must have brought out a successor related product and not just binned it.

My varium is my favourite top. In winter I pair it with an Aldi long sleeved merino top and in that i am comfy down to some pretty low temperatures.
Sweep
Middle of the road

Post by Middle of the road »

I haven't tried a cape but have seen a few people wearing them.

I use a Buffalo Windshirt with a baselayer underneath in summer and a Buffalo Teclite Cycle Shirt for autumn and spring then change to a Buffalo Big Face shirt (equivalent to the heavier weight Cycle Shirt) when its around 6-7 degrees. Those combinations and the Buffalo teclite trousers keep my warm in any weather. If it's really heaving it down I either take the car or take my mountaineering goretex jacket as a back-up
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Des49 wrote:
I have a long sleeve Castelli Perfetto jacket which is the newer version of the Gabba. While I really like it it is not waterproof and the water soaks in and doesn't bead on the surface like they show in the ads! Great for fast rides and even used it in an early season road race over a thermal vest, it was brilliant there and even though I was still wet, frozen and shivering at the finish it certainly saved me.

If out in the rain for a long time I still have to put a proper waterproof over the top. For this I use a Gore Bike Wear Element Gore-Tex Paclite Jacket, I find the hood invaluable but the jacket itself is just a little bulky to roll up and stick in a jacket pocket. I do but it is a squeeze and hangs out the top of the pocket a bit too much to seem safe there.

the Perfetto is just the renaming of the long sleeve 'gabba', Castelli wanted to distinguish between the original short sleeve Gabba and the long sleeve, whether the new 2016/17 version is any different to the long sleeved Gabba I wouldn't know. Either way the Gabba was never designed as a full out and out rain jacket, it just happens to work extremely well in many conditions and is a very good fit so not flapping about.
I've thought about getting one but being broad shouldered and 47" chest and not as slim in the tum as I'd like to be means even the XXXL could be a bit too tight around the arms/upper body.
I have a polaris rain jacket that does okay but is a bit flappy but comes with a rigid hood that detaches, it's not immensely breathable but isn't the worst. I've also got a very snug fitting winter mountain jacket that is quite breathable and water resistant but that's usually for sub zero/extreme wind cycle outings and I can just pop my helly hansen on underneath.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Sweep wrote:Re frieston's post above, +1 for the varium.

<-SNIP->
2 - pretty sure I got it at the bargain price (not much over £40 as I recall).
<-SNIP->
Altura is these days generally very good - surely they must have brought out a successor related product and not just binned it.

My varium is my favourite top. In winter I pair it with an Aldi long sleeved merino top and in that i am comfy down to some pretty low temperatures.

Mine cost about the same - not sure of the outlet but based in Scotland (might even have been a factory shop?). My office is near Birmingham but we have a few engineers 'based' at the office but covering different regions - the Scotland engineer procured the jackets on our behalf.

It is my favourite jacket too and is comfortable in warm and cold weather - I'm even considering taking it to the hills (walking) next Lake District trip.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
andy_l

Post by andy_l »

PH wrote:I don't believe there is the perfect solution, bu the closest I've found so far is the Showers Pass Elite 2.1 which I've used through two winters.
It's a decent material, but more importantly it has the best venting of any jacket I've tried, huge under arm zips, a full width rear vent, two way front zip and clever scoop cuffs that help air flow (When it's not raining) The orange colour stands out well without the dayglo look of some (Other colours are available), the reflectives are very good. I've had mine for two years and use it far more than I did it's predecessor (Which was a quality Gortex jacket) I'll often leave it on for a ride where I know any other jacket I've had would be on and off all day. The cut is very high at the front, ideal whan in cycling gear, but maybe a touch too high for normal wear. The only other downside (Apart from the price) is that it's a bit bulky, not excessively, but enough to stop me carrying it unless there's a good chance of rain.
They're also a nice company to deal with, the UK distributor answers emails day and night, is happy to answer questions, they come with a pre paid bag for returns, and I always seem to 10% off the website price.
https://showerspass.co.uk/products/mens ... 6601555855

+1 for the Showers Pass Elite - well made, good venting - and a decent hook to hang it up on!

Also available from Spa: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s66p2947/SHOWERS-PASS-Elite-2-1
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

or you could just buy it direct from showerspass for £20 less using their 10% discount code.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Capes are great until the wind blows.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

steady eddy wrote:Capes are great until the wind blows.

...and if you like your own cycle portable fishpond!
freiston

Post by freiston »

flat tyre wrote:
steady eddy wrote:Capes are great until the wind blows.

...and if you like your own cycle portable fishpond!

That brought back memories! :lol: 8)