A really good weatherproof jacket

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
belgiangoth

A really good weatherproof jacket

Post by belgiangoth »

I have a couple weatherproof jackets, a plastic thing that is waterproof but not breathable and an easily packed thing that is rain resistant and breathable to some extent. What happens, though, is that on a shorter commute (<10 miles) I either pack neither of them, or by the time it is consistently raining I am over half way there so don't bother.
So clearly the solution for me would be something that is breathable and weatherproof, but is breathable enough that I would wear it on all my rides, rain or shine. I realise that this may come at a price, but seeing as I am a solely cycle commuter I can see even something expensive being worth it over a few years (qv the price I spend on my lights).
What would you reccomend?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
NUKe

Re: A really good weatherproof jacket

Post by NUKe »

You are asking for the holy grail of cycling jackets. Breathable is never that breathable. After years of commuting I never found a breathable waterproof that I would wear allday. Closet I have come is a soft shell but they are not although they claim to be waterproof wise. But they do stand-up to a10 mile commute in all but the worst weather.
Last edited by NUKe on 16 Sep 2017, 12:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by roberts8 »

I agree about breathable not being brilliant, my goretex can get a bit sweaty.
For years I have used a Buffalo wind shirt for cycling and kayaking. It is not waterproof but very wind proof so I do get wet but with a wicking base layer I find I remain warm and comfortable. Mine is about 15 years old and still works. Interested if anyone else uses this brand. It also packs really small and has side ventilating zips.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Many Castelli Gabba users swear by them, whether the expense is worth it to you is your call.

Unless someone invents a variable material that can change to reflect body temperature and external weather conditions and so be fully water repellant, fully breathable keeping you cool and warm you're going to be forever searching
mjr

Post by mjr »

For all round 2 season use (autumn and spring), I heartily recommend a Roubaix jacket: windproof front upper, breathable rest, with zipped vents. It needs a packable waterproof on top in the worst weather but it's probably the best value clothing I've bought.

Sadly my particular one is discontinued (else I'd buy another ready for when this one wears out) but it's not a new concept so I hope others are available.

I've just ordered a Shield vented packable showerproof in Polaris's clearance sale intending it to go over the top in heavy rain but it's not here yet.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mjr wrote:For all round 2 season use (autumn and spring), I heartily recommend a Roubaix jacket: windproof front upper, breathable rest, with zipped vents. It needs a packable waterproof on top in the worst weather but it's probably the best value clothing I've bought.
The Edura Windchill is just that, on sale in Evans (and others) at the moment
https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-wind ... vg_1214324
I have a much older verion and it was my winter jacket, now used around town only being a bit tired. This version says the front and sleeves are waterproof, my old one was showerproof and I used another jacket in steady rain.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Last winter I cycled quite a bit in a Ventile smock and it was very good. Completely windproof, very breathable and although not a waterproof fabric, it is certainly weatherproof. When it did get soaked, I found the heat generated climbing hills kept the inner surface dry, much more so than when walking. Got to make myself a proper cycling jacket for this winter.
Barks

Post by Barks »

Lots of reputable makes but make sure you get one with underarm zips to open up to get lots of ventilation. If you are commuting in normal clothes then try to minimise exertion (in the wet, a little slower and more careful is sensible anyway) and concede it will take a little longer. As mentioned above, no waterproof jacket is fully breathable. The ironic thing is they work best in dry conditions, as soon as the humidity rises or rain is about the membrane systems simply cannot shift the vapour from inside to outside at a rate to keep you from getting sweaty. I have one from Mountain Warehouse, reasonably priced, durable and effective enough for me. That said I avoid wearing a hard shell top at all costs, a soft shell suits me as the go to layer for cooler conditions and copes ok with light rain and spray.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NUKe wrote:You are asking for the holy grail of cycling jackets.
Yes.
Breathable enough not to get sweaty riding a bike.
Waterproof enough to keep the rain out.
Select one. :wink:

I have two Goretex jackets. The old one - over 20years old - has a lining that keeps the skin of the jacket away from my skin, so although it's quite warm to wear, it's not that sweaty, but it still is.

The other one is a Paclite Goretex. Excellent jacket because it folds up small and will stuff into a back pocket. It's very waterproof, but I get very sweaty in it. Luckily, I can whip it off and stuff it away again if the rain stops for a while. It's far more versatile than the lined one.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

+ one for Paclite Gore-tex. I have a couple of garments made using this material and agree with MickF - they pack down well so you can readily take them with you 'just in case', rather than set off wearing them. When you do have to wear them, they're good and water-proof.
Not quite the answer you were looking for, I know, but its a solution that works for me. Would also give the venerable Buffalo Mountain Shirt a mention, for winter use only. Toasty warm, capable of fending off all but the worst rain, hard-wearing and half the price of good membrane-based garments. This was a good solution for me for years, but I've drifted way from using a Buffalo, mainly 'cos there's no changing facilities where I work, so the slightly unseemly struggle to remove the close-fitting Buffalo has to happen either in the office or the toilets... Back in the day when I worked at a place with changing facilities which riveled a good sports club, it was a different matter! Buffalo garments worked well for me, and they're still popular with folks from the forces. http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/product ... ain-shirt/ Folk who get on with the Buffalo concept stick with it for decades and have difficulty understanding why anyone uses anything else! The same comment is true of Paramo, who make cycle-specific garments. What puts lot of people off trying a Paramo is the expense, which is not the case with Buffalo. http://road.cc/content/review/10945-paramo-quito-jacket They get good reivews, though and I have their garments for walking and these days, don't wear any other make, when walking. The reason I don't use them for my cycle commute is more to do with habit than anything else!
Last edited by simonineaston on 16 Sep 2017, 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The problem is that when it's raining, you have the choice of getting wet from the rain or wet from condensation. In cold, wintry rain, that is a choice between being cold and wet or warm and wet. It's a long time now since I bought any jackets, but for most conditions I think Windstopper or a similar facing is ideal. I have gilet with mesh back, gilet with roubaix back, jacket with roubaix back and for really cold weather, a jacket made entirely from Windstopper. I'd agree that Paclite is pretty good for packing away to get out if needed.

Softshell is used to describe all sorts of garments but the genuine Gore version is good.

When it's not raining, anything that keeps the cold out, especially from your chest will do. I used to manage with a square of fabric cut from the back of a jacket. The gilets are just a posher way of keeping the cold out (and with rear pockets.)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

thirdcrank wrote:When it's not raining, anything that keeps the cold out, especially from your chest will do.
Brown paper bag or piece of newspaper. That's what we used to use, and I still do for those spring/autumn days when you want something for a sort time. It also suits modern sensitivities being cheap or free, biodegradable and recyclable. When it gets cold I get out my windstopper (or equivalent) fronted jacket.
PH

Post by PH »

I don't believe there is the perfect solution, bu the closest I've found so far is the Showers Pass Elite 2.1 which I've used through two winters.
It's a decent material, but more importantly it has the best venting of any jacket I've tried, huge under arm zips, a full width rear vent, two way front zip and clever scoop cuffs that help air flow (When it's not raining) The orange colour stands out well without the dayglo look of some (Other colours are available), the reflectives are very good. I've had mine for two years and use it far more than I did it's predecessor (Which was a quality Gortex jacket) I'll often leave it on for a ride where I know any other jacket I've had would be on and off all day. The cut is very high at the front, ideal whan in cycling gear, but maybe a touch too high for normal wear. The only other downside (Apart from the price) is that it's a bit bulky, not excessively, but enough to stop me carrying it unless there's a good chance of rain.
They're also a nice company to deal with, the UK distributor answers emails day and night, is happy to answer questions, they come with a pre paid bag for returns, and I always seem to 10% off the website price.
https://showerspass.co.uk/products/mens ... 6601555855
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PH

That looks like the bee's knees. One of my first Goretex jackets (Swallow Sport? ) bought half price shop-soiled at York Rally around 1990 was cut just like that, including the big vent at the back, but without any pockets. I particularly like those self-sealing zips - I have some on a Rohan jacket and they really work well. Can you explain a bit more about the cuffs? The pics on the website don't seem to include the detail of the cuff. My ideal cycling rain jacket would have wide-opening cuffs which could easily be fastened round the cuffs of gloves, so the gloves would be up inside the sleeves. It ought to be dead easy, but I've only seen that feature on an occasional ski jacket. Otherwise, I've found it a choice between putting gloves on last and it can be a so-and-so to tuck them up the cuffs, or putting them on before the jacket, when it's difficult to fasten zips etc.
PH

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote:PH
Can you explain a bit more about the cuffs?

Yes, basically it's just a wide opening at the cuff, I always wear my rain gloves inside the jacket and there's plenty of room, also easy to Velcro them shut.
Vid here of the previous version which shows it well. Not sure what the changes were to the current one, possibly longer pit zips, but the cuffs look the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLV96GwFD3Q

As I said it's easy returns if you get one to try and don't like it, I bought the wrong size first time and the replacement was sent before they's had the original back.