Is it worth contesting a £50 fine?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bertgrower

Re: Is it worth contesting a £50 fine?

Post by bertgrower »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Ah.............but its OK for a four wheeled vehicle to mount the kerb and park on the pavement :!:
You have to drive it there with wheels moving....................a bit rich, so there is odd's that if I ride on pavement because it will not annoy car drivers, or annoy them less than overtake a traffic queue, a smart bored in authority will fine me or is it just if they have camera's ?

It is ilegal to park on the pavement in London but if you drive over the pavement to a strip of land in front of a shop owned by the shop unless it is seen by a police officer in the process you cant be done for it.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

RakG wrote: I didn't want to join Edgeware Road from the pavement as that's hugely dangerous, so (I went) to the first available corner

I don't follow this - how was entering the carriageway at a corner safer than away from one? Most accidents happen at junctions.

I coasted down the pavement for 5 seconds

So how many more seconds would it have taken to walk? Could you convince a court that expecting you to walk your bike that far was unreasonable?

I think I should have been given a warning.

Why? Warning are given to those who have erred in ignorance or error. Will you tell the court you believed cycling there was legal?
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

bertgrower wrote: if you drive over the pavement to a strip of land in front of a shop owned by the shop unless it is seen by a police officer in the process you cant be done for it.

Driving or cycling across rather than along a footway to take the vehicle involved onto private land beyond it (e.g. into a driveway) is legal anyway.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

Define across. In some cases you have to drive alone the pavement to gain access to private stripe of land.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

I assume you went to Tesco Metro 90-100 Edgware Rd, London W 2EA then travelled north to Harrowby St, London W1. I know this area very well I cross Edgeware road near here last Friday. Then in IMHO what were you thinking off riding on the footway in that part of Edgeware road, it is very busy with pedestrians.

Pay the fine and put it down to experience.

BTW If are unable to cope with the traffic on Edgeware Road I would suggest you get some cycle training lessons.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Assuming it's a fixed penalty unless there was an error in the service of the fp you would be better paying up. Unless things have changed fp notices should only served where there is sufficient evidence to prosecute if the fp isn't accepted.
You can complain to whoever you like but it's likely to be a waste of time.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Whatever you decide to do going by what I know is pay the fine and then argue about it after as its not worth the risk of costs being added if you done pay. Good luck.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm by no means up to date with this but it has occurred to me that the fixed penalty for this offence is £30. Or has it been increased recently?

While I was trying to check this, I came across a reply to an FOI request to Avon and Somerset Police. (First in the alphabet?)

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/a ... ince-2012/

Regular readers of my stuff may notice some presumably unintentional mistakes. No prizes.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A previous thread about a similar question may have something useful... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52228&p=434916
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... Regular readers of my stuff may notice some presumably unintentional mistakes. No prizes.

A sobering confirmation of how much falls on stony ground. :oops: Would a Goretex jacket (pre-owned) tempt anybody?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote:
... Regular readers of my stuff may notice some presumably unintentional mistakes. No prizes.

A sobering confirmation of how much falls on stony ground. :oops: Would a Goretex jacket (pre-owned) tempt anybody?

:lol: :lol:

p.s. thanks, but I just bought a new softshell. Also, I read lots of stuff on this forum, so it wouldn't be fair. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Username

Post by Username »

RakG wrote:This morning on Edgeware Road I received a £50 fine for being on the pavement for all of 5 seconds. I'd locked my bike up at Tescos for to grab breakfast, when I was leaving I didn't want to join Edgeware Road from the pavement as that's hugely dangerous, so I coasted down the pavement for 5 seconds to the first available corner where I could have joined the busy road. I received a £50 fine, no warning.

It's really annoyed me as I think I should have been given a warning. I fully intend to contest this by writing to the court about what happened.

Has anyone been in a similar position and had the fine revoked or is it just not worth it and should I pay the fine?

Thanks,

If it was a lone traffic warden or PCSO etc, couldnt you have just ridden off without giving your details? They wouldnt be able to send you a fine if they dont know who you are and where you live.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Username wrote:
RakG wrote:This morning on Edgeware Road I received a £50 fine for being on the pavement for all of 5 seconds. I'd locked my bike up at Tescos for to grab breakfast, when I was leaving I didn't want to join Edgeware Road from the pavement as that's hugely dangerous, so I coasted down the pavement for 5 seconds to the first available corner where I could have joined the busy road. I received a £50 fine, no warning.

It's really annoyed me as I think I should have been given a warning. I fully intend to contest this by writing to the court about what happened.

Has anyone been in a similar position and had the fine revoked or is it just not worth it and should I pay the fine?

Thanks,

If it was a lone traffic warden or PCSO etc, couldnt you have just ridden off without giving your details? They wouldnt be able to send you a fine if they dont know who you are and where you live.

That, too is an offence, and potentially more serious than £50 for pavement cycling.

It is defined as part of the Community Safety Accreditation Scheme. Accredited persons have the right to require a persons details (just like a police officer), and refusal to provide them, or providing incorrect details is an offence. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eme-powers
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Vorpal wrote:
Username wrote:

Thanks,

That, too is an offence, and potentially more serious than £50 for pavement cycling.

It is defined as part of the Community Safety Accreditation Scheme. Accredited persons have the right to require a persons details (just like a police officer), and refusal to provide them, or providing incorrect details is an offence. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eme-powers

And you can tell an accredited person apart from a potential mugger by their willingness to chase you? shout at you? dress up in costume?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.