Losing the electric gadgets

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
crossy

Losing the electric gadgets

Post by crossy »

Hi everyone the other day I went for a ride as I went out of the boor I looked at the gadgets I had with me gps, iPhone and battery pack and thought do I really need all of this. I found myself using the Garmin looking at the average speed, distance and map to check on where I was going, I was only riding locally so knew where I was (go figure) I got home went out bought a cheap computer only 5 functions.. Then I got some tippex and put that on the computer where the speed is displayed. I had a look at a map before going out after the ride thinking bout it. It felt like when I was a kid no pressure so enjoyable. Don't get me wrong the gadgets have their place but not all the time.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Paulatic

Re: Losing the electric gadgets

Post by Paulatic »

When I used a computer one of my games was guessing the speed before looking at the screen. You get so you can be within 10% all the time and often within 5% of the actual figure.
As for average speed does it matter? It takes as long as it takes.
Knowing the distance travelled was very useful especially following a AUK route sheet. I don't do them now and all I leave the house with now is my phone. Sometimes I have to startup Strava as some rides never happened unless it's on there :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Losing the gadgets is easy. I take the Garmin when I am riding on whim as it records distance. Cadence, av speed etc are used only in TTs. Routine known rides means no record needed.
Phone. Fail to see a need. Battery pack is to back up lights or garmin on multi day rides so a few timers a year
rjb

Post by rjb »

The only item I carry is a basic wired computer and a bus pass. :lol:
I sometimes find myself looking at the total distance for the year and trying to catch a repetitive sequence eg 4050.4. Anyone else do this! :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Basic wired computer is all I use for local rides. For rides not so local I add a paper map, having consulted it first so that I have a good idea of where I'm going.

Same in cars. It amazes me that people will drive around locally with a satnav glaring in their face. Surely they know the way to the supermarket by now.
hayers

Post by hayers »

Always take my phone - takes photos, keep wife or people I'm visiting updated with arrival time, map checking when navigation or cartography let me down and emergency use (thankfully not yet required...) otherwise strictly non electronic. In part because after spending hours at work on the cpmputer am loath to program routes into a computer where I could draw on an old fashioned map!
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

£5 wired computer and oldies very basic Doro phone , local rides only, all routes in my head :D

Oh yes, also ID listing all medication :|
crossy

Post by crossy »

I got a dog tag made with my name on one side and nok on the other side. Never used to carry any ID on me but on the bike in a Pannier. Then thought if I have an accident they'll take me and leave the bike how would they know who I was if I was unconscious.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've ditched the computer on my most used bike, and though I carry a phone for emergencies I have it switched off. It's liberating to be out of the loop for a few hours.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Since I have a cheap lidl wired computer there is no question of leaving it behind - it is on the bike all the time. I have found the temperature reading interesting this summer as I cant take the heat any longer. Trip distance is vital as again I have limits how far I want to go these days. I wouldnt leave without £10 Nokia phone, I only have one for emergencies anyway, is never on, I cant remember the last time I actually used it, just to keep my £30 payas yougo account active, I probably use the inbuilt FM radio more than the phone. The only thing I dont take all the time is my pda/gps unit.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Dont bother with any electronics, computers or anything these days. As for clothing, a loose tee shirt, jeans tucked into socks and cycle clips and old slip on suede shoes. A light flourescent waistcoat and of course a white helmet. Fed up with the beleshia beacon type look adopted by so many and dislike close fitting clothing that chafes and makes you sweat. Do take the phone in the bar bag though..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Phone gets set to log, and dropped into a bag.

No screens on any of my cycles... On a long ride (i.e. somewhere I need to navigate to because I don't do the route often) I'll get the Garmin 605 out, I like the ease of mapping and routing done electronically...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
crossy

Post by crossy »

I use one gadget to log the trip distance as I'm chasing Edington numbers. I have 2 bikes and I trike each has an Edington number, also an overall Edington number to rule them all.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

often don't take a phone out, even on 30-40 mile rides, lately have ditched the speedometer, will only fit a gps tracker for new localish routes, only fit a full gps if on long complex unfamiliar route/foreign country.
Riding as hard as i can or soft pedaling whenever i want with no indication of progress or measurement is lovely.
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

Wired cycle computer for speed distance & clock.
Phone just to make calls. Now not allowed out by the domestic authorities without blood sugar meter. Excuse for a Mars bar