paratrooper pro accepting 650b wheels?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
emaayan

paratrooper pro accepting 650b wheels?

Post by emaayan »

hi..i'm looking to get paratrooper pro, (as it's strongest full size foldable there is) I need foldable to get on the train which alllows non-foldable only at non rush hours

anyway, i wanted absolutely sure that ALL their frames support the new 650b
according to this, they always did, but the pro they say won't allow much clearence, but it doesnt' say specifically if on later versions the pro frame got matched up with highline.

this is very important, as i want to order online (my dealer doesn't have it on stock)

https://www.montaguebikes.com/folding-b ... ke-wheels/
Brucey

Re: paratrooper pro accepting 650b wheels?

Post by Brucey »

it all depends on how fat the tyres are, not just on what size the rims are.

Formally 650B is 26x 1-1/2" or 38x584. These wheels work out exactly 26" in rolling diameter.

However an MTB 26" wheel (as per the last 30 years or so) uses a 559mm rim and can be fitted with tyres of various widths. Only if these tyres are fully 2" in section is the resultant wheel actually 26" in diameter. If the bike you are looking at will accept 26x2.0" tyres on a 559 rim, they will accept a genuine 38x584 tyre too. Not a wider tyre though, necessarily, because that would also be taller.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
emaayan

Post by emaayan »

but that's what i mean, the highline is able to accept https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/p ... -highline/
2.75 x 2.1 which is 53x584 from what i understand, i just don't know if the paratrooper pro was modified to be the same .
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Check how your train company defines "foldable" too. Some have a maximum wheel size...
emaayan

Post by emaayan »

nah they don't care much about, hell , "officially" they only allow a maximum of 5 bikes per cart, and they only have 1 cart (maybe 2, usually one) and that never gets enforced, from the times i've seen they even check if you actually fold them or not, they only care that it folds.