Train to Stratford upon Avon

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
crs1953

Train to Stratford upon Avon

Post by crs1953 »

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of taking a bike on the train from Snow Hill to Stratford upon Avon ?
Is it restricted in any way regarding times allowed / not allowed ? I will be eligible for the free bus/train pass in a few months and was thinking of using train / bike sometimes when I go to visit my daughter & grandchildren there.
I have checked on trainline.com but info isn't that clear. Chiltern Rails website is clearer but I think the Snow Hill to Stratford service is run by London Midland.

Would be grateful for any input folks :)

Colin
bikepacker

Re: Train to Stratford upon Avon

Post by bikepacker »

Not a problem. London Midland have a very flexible policy towards bikes. I would try to avoid the very busy times though.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Just wheel your bike on, by the doors there is a drop down seat you can use. London midland have lost the franchise though so new trains will be introduced around December.
Si

Post by Si »

I seem to remember that russell from stourbug got about 50 bikes on one train so you oughta be ok ;-)
1982john

Post by 1982john »

I've not done that specific journey often but all I'd say it gets busy during rush hour both morning and evening and you might struggle to get a bike on. I think on some services during rush hour they even dont allow bikes but that might be just my usual route which is slightly different. Outside of rush hour its fine - you dont need to book or anything
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I have done this sortof, in the other direction. The embarrassing reason was that I was cycling from Gloucester to Leicester (through the Cotswolds) but the weather was utterly tipping it down, I was soaked to the skin, and not enjoying this game. (The forecast was for fine weather.)

The guard advised me to just get onto a normal carriage, and I just stood there with my bike, keeping my wet and filthy/muddy bike away from other people. (The route from Mickleover to SUA was full of deep puddles.) So I did. I can't remember why I didn't use a specific bicycle place. Either they weren't available or were taken, but I was allowed on.

I got off at Birmingham New Street (where I switched to the Leicester train.) So, I may not have gone to Snow Hill. I'm guessing that's the same line. Ignore my whole post if not.

The standard ticket from SUA to Brum was very cheap. Can't remember it exactly, but it was the final thing that convinced me to abort my ride.
PH

Post by PH »

Also be aware that some of the trains from Stratford to Birmingham go on to Worcester.
DON'T stand there watching your train leave because you KNOW Worcester isn't in the same direction... :oops: :oops: :oops:
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I believe the question was trains TO Stratford upon Avon, not from.
PH

Post by PH »

bikepacker wrote:I believe the question was trains TO Stratford upon Avon, not from.

Well I know it's a nice place, but there's always the possibility that someone might want to come back...
...and might even use the train to do so.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

bikepacker wrote:I believe the question was trains TO Stratford upon Avon, not from.

They are probably the same trains run by the same people. I was (long-windedly) backing up the 'flexible policy towards bikes' previous comments.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

PH wrote:

Well I know it's a nice place, but there's always the possibility that someone might want to come back...
...and might even use the train to do so.

As Stratford upon Avon railway station is very tiny, has a large wall display proclaiming the times of all trains to Birmingham and as announcements that give every station stop of every train.
crs1953

Post by crs1953 »

Thank you all for taking the time to respond :) Much appreciated.