Pub wanting to go cycle friendly

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gbnz

Re: Pub wanting to go cycle friendly

Postby gbnz » 24 Sep 2017, 4:33pm

mjr wrote:My favourite cycling pubs have good beer.

Essential.

As an end of the week easy cycling "recovery" day, I dropped by a well regarded country pub at the end of the ride today. Even made a diversion of several miles and unusually was considering a bit of food. Until I saw the line of gassy old .........on offer, at which my pint was differed until next weekend!

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 24 Sep 2017, 6:24pm

Most of what has been said;
Covered / sheltered area to lock bikes.
Track Pump and a multitool, these can be anchored so they do not walk
Snack meals not just big meals, as pubs used to do when they first started doing 'pub grub'.
Tea and Coffee.
Bidon refills.
Possibly a little stock of emergency items for purchase, inner tubes, cables, gels, energy bars.
Contact with local clubs; especially those who use the local TT course, they might be looking for / want a HQ
Offer a meeting room.

Any information on where it is? What time trial course is it by?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

UAVDave

Postby UAVDave » 24 Sep 2017, 11:58pm

Things mentioned - secure bike parking, pump, small range of tools avaulable for loan, small range of spares. Recharging for bike assessories?

Wide selction of lighter foods and snacks (sensible high energy snacks), bottle refills, good selction of non-alcoholic drinks - not just fizzy ones! And hot drinks in winter.

Dave
Knowledge is being aware that tomatoes are a fruit. Wisdom is not putting them into a fruit salad.

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 25 Sep 2017, 9:33am

gaz wrote:The Freewheel, possibly the most cycle friendly pub in the world.
They could do better on publicising where they are. Somewhere in Faversham, I discovered eventually. (Not an area I know)
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 25 Sep 2017, 9:38am

Similar details on website to other pubs:-

http://www.thefreewheel.pub/contact-us/

Si

Postby Si » 25 Sep 2017, 10:01am

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 27 Sep 2017, 12:29pm

Somewhere to park the bike, with shelter if possible

At least one room without a posh floor so I can walk in wearing my SPD's without feeling guilty! (within reason - protruding cleats IMHO would be pushing it a bit)
A water tap somewhere to refill water bottles.
Craft beer!
Some nice soft drinks.
Filter coffee and tea by the mug.
A jug of water and glasses to help yourself (personally I wouldn't mind if, say, there was an air ambulance collection box next to this)
Somewhere to sit outside, away from smokers.
If you are selling food, a cyclist or walkers special (like the menu for this place http://www.manorhousetearooms.co.uk/)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 27 Sep 2017, 12:59pm

I often sit outside if its not too cold. Since the smoking ban (hurrah) most non garden outside seating areas have become smoker zones.

A bit ironic, one non smoker who doesn't want to be inside surrounded by lots of smokers who do.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 27 Sep 2017, 1:01pm

Good Beer
snack/light meals - basket of chips, sandwiches etc
Tea/coffee buy the mug
soft drinks at cheaper than Britvic prices (eg orange juice out the cardboard box)
Somewhere to lock bikes - doesn't have to be the full sheffield stand - just something to loop a cable lock through, such as a length of chain attached along a wall. Proper U-lock capable attachment points would be good for a town pub, but aren't required for countryside pubs.

Tools & spares would be nice, but are unlikely to actually attract anyone
Track pump, tyre levers, a few spare tubes, a set of allen keys, and bolt croppers/cable cutters for the rider who left his keys at home

mjr

Postby mjr » 27 Sep 2017, 2:15pm

simonhill wrote:I often sit outside if its not too cold. Since the smoking ban (hurrah) most non garden outside seating areas have become smoker zones.

A bit ironic, one non smoker who doesn't want to be inside surrounded by lots of smokers who do.

Yeah, either a non-smoking outdoor area or cycle parking in a non-smoking garden is a very nice thing to have, but pretty rare.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Sep 2017, 2:35pm

UAVDave wrote:Things mentioned - secure bike parking ..................
I've been to pubs hereabouts and you don't need secure bike parking.

Here's my favourite pub.
Park your bikes up against the pub wall.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51889 ... 312!8i6656

This is me having nearly completed LEJOG and back. Next day, I rode to LE.
Mercian was against the pub wall, and Tailer detached and sitting on the garden wall.
LEJOG and Back copy.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 30 Sep 2017, 11:41am

Mick F wrote:

Even if secure parking isn't really necessary, the lack of it will put off those riders of a nervous disposition.
At my local(ish) pub, you'll regularly see expensive carbon or titanium bikes just propped against a wall, unlocked, or even on one occasion £10k worth of Moulton NS Speed (plus the cost of the upgrades), but there are 4 sheffield stands available if desired, plus unofficial lock points like small trees or the fence.

pwa

Postby pwa » 30 Sep 2017, 11:47am

andrew_s wrote:
Mick F wrote:

Even if secure parking isn't really necessary, the lack of it will put off those riders of a nervous disposition.
At my local(ish) pub, you'll regularly see expensive carbon or titanium bikes just propped against a wall, unlocked, or even on one occasion £10k worth of Moulton NS Speed (plus the cost of the upgrades), but there are 4 sheffield stands available if desired.

Given a choice, I much prefer having the bikes in sight rather than locked somewhere out of sight. So a parking area viewable from one or more windows. The locks I take on most rides are lightweight gestures and not up to much anyway. And I don't necessarily need cycle stands. A wall or a fence will do equally well to lean the bikes on.

KtCycles

Postby KtCycles » 30 Sep 2017, 5:09pm

Covered, visible bike parking. If they have room, hanging bike hooks inside are the best, but these are usually only seen in dedicated Velo Cafes (eg @cafevelobev in Beverley). Hooks for damp coats and helmets. Decent loos/washrooms - just to freshen up one's face, so decent handtowels. Option of tea! Bread pudding. Decent portions of chips. loyalty cards for bike users. The odd cycle event on the screen - if it's that kind of pub. If they really want to get in on the action, they could hook up with other existing bike offers locally, eg cycle hire people (discount for people using the hire cycles), they could have copies of cycle mags etc for browsing too. Too much? tbh I'm happy if I get to a pub, cos my rides are usually very antisocial solo affairs!

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 Oct 2017, 7:27pm

And some sort of heater under or near at least one of the coat rails. One thing worse than putting a damp coat back on is putting a cold damp coat on. It would probably be popular with anyone who walks to the pub, too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.